Nederland vs. Port Neches-Groves Game Thread/Nederland wins/Comments

WOSgrad

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="957566" timestamp="1296373052"]
I was at the game and walking my young kids out of the gym after the game. Both sides were mouthing off at each other. I think the NDN fans took offense because of the heated game and then afterwards students from the visiting school staying on the court mouthing. I guess I'm going to be a homer and say that if you win a game at somebody else's house, take the win and move on. There was no need to linger around and play the mouthing game with the team that lost. It went both ways, and it was parents involved also. The PNG administrators had to grab several Ned students and pull them away from the PNG side, they may have had to do the same with the PNG students, but I didn't see it. Some of the conduct I seen from both sides was a depressing end of a great game. Good luck to the Dogs and NDNS for the rest of the season.
[/quote]
Two Nederland players were punched in the back by either NDN fans or NDN players. Don't b a Homer here and think it was a one-sided ordeal. It was an emotional game and an emotional victory. U r suggesting the kids just say yeah, we won and walk off the court, fans (kids flooded the court immediately,  not adults) too???

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Adults[/b] were on the court and mouthing just like the kids from both sides. I said both sides behaved poorly after the game. Nederland fans didn't clear off of the court for about 30 minutes after the game. What I meant by this is the PNG administration were the only ones trying to get thier fans out of the gym. Nederland administrators should've made thier fans leave once the mouthing started. Remember the game was at PNG. Grant it, there were alot of fans on both sides which made it hard to get any thing accomplished. Two players punched? Are you sure on that because I was next to the officer working the game and nobody said anything about that.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="957586" timestamp="1296396664"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79456.msg957575#msg957575 date=1296390492]
[quote author=pngpurple4ever link=topic=79456.msg957208#msg957208 date=1296316429]
That was the most bone headed coaching decision I have ever seen. You have to go out and try to force a turnover, a bad shot, etc. Worst case is Ned. scores or shoots free throws. You still have plenty of time to score yourself. Letting Ned. get the last shot was plain STUPID!!!!
[/quote]

If the PNG coach was "smart enough" to have a considerable underdog "in the game" in the last minute/seconds, would it stand to reason he is smart enough to handle the closing seconds of the same game?
[/quote]If the Nederland coach wants to run out the clock and take the last shot and the PNG coach wants Nederland to keep it  to the last shot, would it stand to reason that one of them could be wrong?
[/quote]

From my perspective. it stands to reason that those who coach for a living are likely to have better insight on what needs to be done than the fans do.  I can tell you, after watching highlight films, about every pass that should have not been thrown in the football game.  But, then again, I did not have several three hundred pound linemen charging at me while making my decisions which were not made after the fact.  I am also confident that we, as spectators, do not know all of the ingredients than went into the decision the coach made.  Furthermore, I maintain the coach apparently made many good decisions or the underdog would not have been in a postion to win the game.  If that is the  case, it would seem that second guessing only the last minute decision is slightly unfair.

[quote name="stevenash" post="957613" timestamp="1296403628"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79456.msg957586#msg957586 date=1296396664]
[quote author=pngpurple4ever link=topic=79456.msg957208#msg957208 date=1296316429]
That was the most bone headed coaching decision I have ever seen. You have to go out and try to force a turnover, a bad shot, etc. Worst case is Ned. scores or shoots free throws. You still have plenty of time to score yourself. Letting Ned. get the last shot was plain STUPID!!!!
[/quote]

If the PNG coach was "smart enough" to have a considerable underdog "in the game" in the last minute/seconds, would it stand to reason he is smart enough to handle the closing seconds of the same game?
[/quote]If the Nederland coach wants to run out the clock and take the last shot and the PNG coach wants Nederland to keep it  to the last shot, would it stand to reason that one of them could be wrong?
[/quote]

From my perspective. it stands to reason that those who coach for a living are likely to have better insight on what needs to be done than the fans do.  I can tell you, after watching highlight films, about every pass that should have not been thrown in the football game.  But, then again, I did not have several three hundred pound linemen charging at me while making my decisions which were not made after the fact.   I am also confident that we, as spectators, do not know all of the ingredients than went into the decision the coach made.  Furthermore, I maintain the coach apparently made many good decisions or the underdog would not have been in a postion to win the game.  If that is the  case, it would seem that second guessing only the last minute decision is slightly unfair.

[/quote]

AMEN!!!

Good post, nash.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="957570" timestamp="1296381357"]

WOW!! Never knew I was a PNG hater. Learn something new every day. BTW, Joey is a PNG grad. ;)
[/quote]

Joey openly talks hatred of all things PNG. He has done it on the preview show. Which I no longer bother listening to BTW. ;)

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="957650" timestamp="1296408305"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79456.msg957570#msg957570 date=1296381357]

WOW!! Never knew I was a PNG hater. Learn something new every day. BTW, Joey is a PNG grad. ;)
[/quote]

Joey openly talks hatred of all things PNG. He has done it on the preview show. Which I no longer bother listening to BTW. ;)
[/quote]

How did I become a PNG hater? Please provide me that evidence.

BTW, Joey is no longer on the show.

[quote name="baddog" post="957611" timestamp="1296403177"]
This was a game these kids And adults will always remember. I'm surprised they only hung around for a half hour. They should have stamped paw prints on the floor.  :D

[/quote]

WOW , can't do that!! Remember a few years back in Football when PNG beat the Puppydogs in Nerdeland and the PNG crowd was on the field. The puppydogs yelped like whinning puppies for weeks after that.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="957603" timestamp="1296401327"]
[b]Adults[/b] were on the court and mouthing just like the kids from both sides. I said both sides behaved poorly after the game. Nederland fans didn't clear off of the court for about 30 minutes after the game. What I meant by this is the PNG administration were the only ones trying to get thier fans out of the gym. Nederland administrators should've made thier fans leave once the mouthing started. Remember the game was at PNG. Grant it, there were alot of fans on both sides which made it hard to get any thing accomplished. Two players punched? Are you sure on that because I was next to the officer working the game and nobody said anything about that.
[/quote]
I am positive!  I spoke to both of the kids myself. Just b/c it wasn't reported to the officer doesn't mean it didn't happen.

[quote name="PNGFan" post="957669" timestamp="1296415742"]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=79456.msg957611#msg957611 date=1296403177]
This was a game these kids And adults will always remember. I'm surprised they only hung around for a half hour. They should have stamped paw prints on the floor.  :D

[/quote]

WOW , can't do that!! Remember a few years back in Football when PNG beat the Puppydogs in Nerdeland and the PNG crowd was on the field. The puppydogs yelped like whinning puppies for weeks after that.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd have to go way back.  ;D but no, I don't remember.

Paw prints were left care of the scoreboard. Let the kids have fun.

[quote name="stevenash" post="957613" timestamp="1296403628"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79456.msg957586#msg957586 date=1296396664]
[/quote]

[/quote]

From my perspective. it stands to reason that those who coach for a living are likely to have better insight on what needs to be done than the fans do.  I can tell you, after watching highlight films, about every pass that should have not been thrown in the football game.  But, then again, I did not have several three hundred pound linemen charging at me while making my decisions which were not made after the fact.   I am also confident that we, as spectators, do not know all of the ingredients than went into the decision the coach made.  Furthermore, I maintain the coach apparently made many good decisions or the underdog would not have been in a postion to win the game.  If that is the  case, it would seem that second guessing only the last minute decision is slightly unfair.

[/quote]Unfair maybe, but that's why they have Sports Opinion Forums.  Is ESPN unfair to have PTI or all the other sports shows that have opinions?

But, back to the point that was raised.  [u][b]I don't understand where a coach willingly puts himself in a position where he settles for only about a 25% chance of winning[/b][/u].  It simply doesn't make sense, especially after he's done such a good job thus far in the game.

[quote name="stevenash" post="957575" timestamp="1296390492"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Apparently not.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="957570" timestamp="1296381357"]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=79456.msg957429#msg957429 date=1296349078]
I believe Able did what was best for that group of kids in that particular situation. I have a son who has played on PNG's varsity team for three years and I have seen every game in that time frame. We never have nor will we ever be the most athletic team on the court. We win through pace of play and solid defense. We can score when we have to in most situations however our strong suit is half court defense. Able's strategy last night worked. There was a wrench thrown in when nobody blocked out Kelvin. Had we made it to OT who knows what would've happened.
I do know this though. All the PNG haters on this board (soulja, aaw, joey, lazeek and others) are going to puke all over themselves at the end of this basketball season when the Tribe takes a playoff spot!
[/quote]

WOW!! Never knew I was a PNG hater. Learn something new every day. [b]BTW, Joey is a PNG grad.[/b] ;)

That's true,  but he's still a self-proclaimed PNG hater.  Can't figure out why tho.
[/quote]

Quote from: baddog on Today at 10:01:25 AM
This was a game these kids And adults will always remember. I'm surprised they only hung around for a half hour. They should have stamped paw prints on the floor.  

[quote] PNGFan: WOW , can't do that!! Remember a few years back in Football when PNG beat the Puppydogs in Nerdeland and the PNG crowd was on the field. The puppydogs yelped like whinning puppies for weeks after that.[/quote]

Well I guess they had to celebrate thier third win in a decade against Ned... ::)

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="957671" timestamp="1296416471"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=79456.msg957603#msg957603 date=1296401327]
[/quote]
I am positive!  I spoke to both of the kids myself. Just b/c it wasn't reported to the officer doesn't mean it didn't happen.
[/quote]
Come on now, let a 17 or 18 year kid punch another in the back. There would've been an all out riot in there. I think you may be stretching things a little. There may have been some shoving, but I don't think any punches were thrown. I'll ask coach Abel to look at his video since his son was still filming after the game. Heck, it might of been a Nederland fan punching him because they let PNG hang with them into the final second of the game ;D

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="957842" timestamp="1296449861"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=79456.msg957671#msg957671 date=1296416471]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=79456.msg957603#msg957603 date=1296401327]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Come on now, let a 17 or 18 year kid punch another in the back. There would've been an all out riot in there. I think you may be stretching things .a
little. There may have been some shoving, but I don't think any punches were thrown. I'll ask coach Abel to look at his video since his son was still filming after the game. Heck, it might of been a Nederland fan punching him because they let PNG hang with them into the final second of the game ;D
[/quote]
I am NOT a kid making this up-I'm an adult who spoke to both kids. Why would I make this up? I'm not trying to start anything, just giving the facts. It seems though that y'all don't want to hear the truth?? Do U find it impossible that this happened.  It happened to 2 players who are smart enough not to retaliate against angry fans (kids) b/c their court got 'stormed' by a bunch of other students.  BTW-The adults did not 'storm' the court. They waited until it calmed down a bit b4 going out to properly congratulate the kids-the Nederland fans do that every game (regardless of who it's against or where it's played).

I am sure in a rivalry like this, there are instances where both sides behave badly...I am not saying this is proper behavior but it is a bit "high and mighty" for PNG fans to come on here and complain about Nederland's kids when I can assure you that I have first hand seen some pretty sad behavior from PNG students at Nederland games as well...unfortunate by product of an intense rivalry...my point is, just don't come on here saying "Nederland's students did this and Nederland's students did that" when the same type of behavior happens on the other side as well.

As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

Again, as a Bulldog fan, I tip my hat to PNG for a well played game and a great effort although I was certainly happy with the outcome!

[quote name="Razor" post="957900" timestamp="1296486674"]
I am sure in a rivalry like this, there are instances where both sides behave badly...I am not saying this is proper behavior but it is a bit "high and mighty" for PNG fans to come on here and complain about Nederland's kids when I can assure you that I have first hand seen some pretty sad behavior from PNG students at Nederland games as well...unfortunate by product of an intense rivalry...my point is, just don't come on here saying "Nederland's students did this and Nederland's students did that" when the same type of behavior happens on the other side as well.

As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

Again, as a Bulldog fan, I tip my hat to PNG for a well played game and a great effort although I was certainly happy with the outcome!
[/quote]+ 2 for  you!  Excellent post.

[quote name="Razor" post="957900" timestamp="1296486674"]
[u]As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  [/u]PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

[/quote]No, you didn't look at my post correctly if you think I gave anyone a 0% chance of winning in overtime.

PNG had no chance of winning in regulation.  Given that Nederland has a 50-50 chance of making the last shot, than that gives Nederland a 50% chance of winning in regulation and PNG a 0% chance of winning in regulation.  

Now, with the remaining 50% chance that the game goes into Overtime, if you assume that each time has a 50-50 chance of winning, then you only have PNG with a 25% chance of winning.

In a game of numbers, those aren't good odds.  Therefore, in my opinion, bad call, coach.  But that doesn't mean the coach didn't coach a great game overall.  It sounds like PNG used the talent on their team to great advantage and almost beat a time that is far better than PNG is (at least on paper Nederland is better).  So the coach should be commended on his job that night.  That doesn't mean he batted 1000 for the night.  If I was coaching, I wouldn't reduce my team's chances of winning by letting Nederland take that last second shot.  You got a foul to give, foul Nederland with 3 or 4 seconds left, if possible.  Make them start over!!!!

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="957909" timestamp="1296487599"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=79456.msg957900#msg957900 date=1296486674]
[u]As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  [/u]PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

[/quote]No, you didn't look at my post correctly if you think I gave anyone a 0% chance of winning in overtime.

PNG had no chance of winning in regulation.  Given that Nederland has a 50-50 chance of making the last shot, than that gives Nederland a 50% chance of winning in regulation and PNG a 0% chance of winning in regulation.  

Now, with the remaining 50% chance that the game goes into Overtime, if you assume that each time has a 50-50 chance of winning, then you only have PNG with a 25% chance of winning.

In a game of numbers, those aren't good odds.  Therefore, in my opinion, bad call, coach.  But that doesn't mean the coach didn't coach a great game overall.  It sounds like PNG used the talent on their team to great advantage and almost beat a time that is far better than PNG is (at least on paper Nederland is better).  So the coach should be commended on his job that night.  That doesn't mean he batted 1000 for the night.  If I was coaching, I wouldn't reduce my team's chances of winning by letting Nederland take that last second shot.  You got a foul to give, foul Nederland with 3 or 4 seconds left, if possible.  Make them start over!!!!
[/quote]

+5

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="957903" timestamp="1296487045"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=79456.msg957900#msg957900 date=1296486674]

[/quote]+ 2 for  you!  Excellent post.
[/quote]

Strongly agree

Guest speechless
right call by png coach

when you are not the better team you take your chances on defending one shot as opposed to having to defend for multiple possessions

he did the right thing

forced the lowest percentage shot they could force and just didnt block out on the back side

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder