Lifting Weights

[quote name="diggstown" post="955912" timestamp="1296160076"]
If the coach in question has a background in kinesiology and stregnth training then he or she should be capable to make workouts to meet the needs of the athletes .  There are some coaches that have ZER0 knowledge of the human body and how it will respond to workouts.  Those coaches do not need to be involved in making and implementing  workouts . And I whole heartedly believe lifting weights will not help a kid hit for better  avg. But it can help hand speed. Get the kid a tee and get to work to improve batting avg. Michael Jordan lifted weights even on game day. I guarantee his weightlifting helped him stay healthy throughout the season.
[/quote]

Someone PLEASE explain to me why these regimens, are , in general, at the direction of football coaches instead of the coaches of each specific sport.  I can show you a number of instances where the basketball coach has a kinesiology background and the football coach does not.  Guess who dictates the lifting programs.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="stevenash" post="955943" timestamp="1296162798"]
[quote author=diggstown link=topic=79171.msg955912#msg955912 date=1296160076]
If the coach in question has a background in kinesiology and stregnth training then he or she should be capable to make workouts to meet the needs of the athletes .  There are some coaches that have ZER0 knowledge of the human body and how it will respond to workouts.  Those coaches do not need to be involved in making and implementing  workouts . And I whole heartedly believe lifting weights will not help a kid hit for better  avg. But it can help hand speed. Get the kid a tee and get to work to improve batting avg. Michael Jordan lifted weights even on game day. I guarantee his weightlifting helped him stay healthy throughout the season.
[/quote]

Someone PLEASE explain to me why these regimens, are , in general, at the direction of football coaches instead of the coaches of each specific sport.  [b]I can show you a number of instances where the basketball coach has a kinesiology background and the football coach does not[/b].  Guess who dictates the lifting programs.
[/quote]

Okay, show me a number of them. Will it be more than 1?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="955980" timestamp="1296165307"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79171.msg955943#msg955943 date=1296162798]
[/quote]

Someone PLEASE explain to me why these regimens, are , in general, at the direction of football coaches instead of the coaches of each specific sport.  [b]I can show you a number of instances where the basketball coach has a kinesiology background and the football coach does not[/b].  Guess who dictates the lifting programs.
[/quote]

[/quote]  I think I will pass on that invitation to post names on the board. Nice try, though.

Guest speechless
reverse the question

how many football coaches have more knowledge regarding weight training than basketball coaches?

assumption can be very misleading

that is the problem in texas is that assumption has lead lots of athletic programs down a poor road

[quote name="stevenash" post="956012" timestamp="1296166858"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79171.msg955980#msg955980 date=1296165307]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]  I think I will pass on that invitation to post names on the board. Nice try, though.
[/quote]

Well you are the one that brought it up. "Bring it, don't sing it". ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="956057" timestamp="1296170715"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79171.msg956012#msg956012 date=1296166858]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79171.msg955980#msg955980 date=1296165307]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well you are the one that brought it up. "Bring it, don't sing it". ;D
[/quote]  The hackneyed little saying makes the  effort a little better but I still don't like to mention names.  You might want to abandon your efforts here.  I have plenty of other posts you can jump on where I am willing to take the bait.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="956075" timestamp="1296172752"]
In relation to the game of poker:

"Nash folds after his bluff was called". ;D
[/quote]

The poker analogy is a  little better, but I still feel as though it is improper to put out names on a board.  Frankly, I am a little surprised someone with high moral standards would advocate such.  As for bluffing, I guess you really never know until the cards are played.  I know very little about poker but in the few games I have witnessed, it  seems that if you have sufficient  staying power(whether it be figuratively or literally), the need to bluff becomes less important.

Why are you guys debating this? This would not be a discussion 10 or more years ago. What ever happen to the good old days when parents let the coaches coach and the teachers teach? I don't see coaches on here asking, why do you raise your kids the way you do, why is your child disrepectful or why won't your child do what it takes to get better? The kids that want to get better are a special breed. It is born not developed. Why do we start our kids playing sports at 4 years old? Wait, I know because parents have big dreams for their kids. Maybe just maybe my kid will be in that .0001% of the kids who get a scholarship through sports. Why all the fuss about weight lifting? If your kid does not like it, then let them quit. Personally I would tell my child, do what the coaches say. Life is lived by your actions, words have no value if there is no subtance.

[quote name="stevenash" post="956092" timestamp="1296174429"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79171.msg956075#msg956075 date=1296172752]
In relation to the game of poker:

"Nash folds after his bluff was called". ;D
[/quote]

The poker analogy is a  little better, but I still feel as though it is improper to put out names on a board.  Frankly, I am a little surprised someone with high moral standards would advocate such.  As for bluffing, I guess you really never know until the cards are played.  I know very little about poker but in the few games I have witnessed, it  seems that if you have sufficient  staying power(whether it be figuratively or literally), the need to bluff becomes less important.
[/quote]

I know about poker, that's what I do. I am willing to teach you, the hard way. ;) ;D

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="956116" timestamp="1296177793"]
Why are you guys debating this? This would not be a discussion 10 or more years ago. What ever happen to the good old days when parents let the coaches coach and the teachers teach? I don't see coaches on here asking, why do you raise your kids the way you do, why is your child disrepectful or why won't your child do what it takes to get better? The kids that want to get better are a special breed. It is born not developed. Why do we start our kids playing sports at 4 years old? Wait, I know because parents have big dreams for their kids. Maybe just maybe my kid will be in that .0001% of the kids who get a scholarship through sports. Why all the fuss about weight lifting? If your kid does not like it, then let them quit. Personally I would tell my child, do what the coaches say. Life is lived by your actions, words have no value if there is no subtance.
[/quote]
Fantastic post.  Parents stop coddling you kids. Best thread ever IMO.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="956116" timestamp="1296177793"]
[/quote]great post

The best idea of all, If the parents don't like what the coaches are doing your child does not have to play. But when it comes time to play college ball, if you think their is a sport that doesn't do the workouts your child is being "forced" to do your insane.

Guest speechless
[quote]Really...... if a coach is knowledgeable and in the weight room during this time I am sure no AD would deny them the opportunity to make the workouts.[/quote]

one of the most naive statements ever on this board

[quote]The best idea of all, If the parents don't like what the coaches are doing your child does not have to play. But when it comes time to play college ball, if you think their is a sport that doesn't do the workouts your child is being "forced" to do your insane.[/quote]

no one has said colleges dont do it
colleges also have less time constraints/class restraints
colleges are also not told when they can be on the court by their AD
a college basketball coach decides when/how/how much his basketball team will lift not the AD
so while your attempt at comparing college programs was nice it actually boosts the other side of the debate

again, for the 1 trillionth time no one is questioning weight lifting
the question is why is the AD deciding when and how instead of the in season head coach
there is one simple answer and those that don't live in denial know what it is

and the answer to that is the AD is the administrator....the boss...the top dog!!! They have that power! The reason our kids do not respect authority is because the parents don't respect authority! This is life...there are always gonna be bosses....so deal with it....teach your kids this early on and they will be so much better off.

Guest speechless
so it poses a question i asked earlier

why not just have the ad be the basketball, volleyball, baseball, tennis, track, and golf coach too

he/she obviously knows what is best for all programs? right?

Guest speechless

[quote]Why have a AD if every coach on the staff is allowed to make their own decisions and rules? There has to be someone in charge or anarchy will follow.[/quote]

again why hire head coaches if the AD is going to make all the decisions and rules as you say?

didnt realize that telling the head coaches of each sport how and when they will lift would be considered part of an athletic depts. rules?

If you're at a place where the AD is also the Football coach and you're not satisfied with how he runs the athletic program, voice your concerns to the proper people or move your family somewhere where the AD is the basketball, baseball, trainer, etc... coach and the program is run more to your liking. There's lots of options out there. Granted football is king in Texas. I don't see that changing. And I'm not saying it's the perfect system by any means, but it is the reality in this state. You do understand that, right? But whoever has the AD title is in charge of doing what's he thinks is best for all the sports. He sets the vision and guidelines for each of the sports. In short, he is our boss and we must follow his lead or find another job.

As far as teaching, we submit lesson plans to our department heads and principals on a weekly basis for their review/approval. So, they have a huge say in what we teach and when we teach it. We can't simply do whatever we want.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed