Ever Wonder?

Ever wonder why football, where the players wear long pants and jerseys over lots of pads with a helmet, is played starting in August when the temperatures can easily reach near 100, while soccer, where the player has nothing but shorts, shirt and padded socks on, is played starting in January when temperatures can easily fall into the 20's and 30's? Now I'm not advocating a change, because if it were up to me there would be at last 3 football seasons a year. Just putting it out there...... ;)
BTW, Good luck to all the area soccer teams, looking forward to making a few games.

If you're wondering why, consider where you are.  Just about everywhere else in America (and the world) soccer is played during the spring, summer and fall, but when it became a UIL event, the AD's (football coaches) had to figure out where on the calendar to put soccer.  Although most of the rest of the high schools in the country play their season in the fall, there was no way the UIL (football coaches) was gonna let a buncha sissy commies take their players or mess up their practice fields for the freshman football team.  And they didn't want to directly overlap with basketball or baseball, so they stuck it in between.
Now when a teacher says to me, "It sure is soccer weather out there!" when it's 40 degrees and drizzling I just nod my head and realize they don't have a stinking clue.

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="951602" timestamp="1295523593"]
I am still advocating moving soccer back a month, starting practice in January and games in Febuary.  Club teams be damned
[/quote]

Club teams make high school soccer.... imagine if no-one played year round club soccer and only played in high school... That would be a kick ball fest and a real spectacle to watch... Maybe we can ask Spring to be moved to January.. to use a warn out saying... It is what it is.. NO disrespect intended... I am just a big club soccer advocate to raise our soccer talent to compete throughout the state.. The Kelly Lady Dawgs are only as good as they are because the 5 key players started at BYSC at age 5 then went to SSSC at age 10 and all have played together year round for the past 7 years and a few made the difficult decision to move to the Premier league... Thats it in a nut shell... And the up coming players that are making a difference have followed the same formula.

ps  Many if not All of the All -Greater Houston Girls first team play on somebody's premier team year round and players like Jordan Hatler supplement that with playing on ODP's regional and national teams that play abroad in countries like Germany,Spain and Cost Rica.

pss. Plugerville Hendrickson has a freshman playing on the U-15 national team, she plays soccer 365 24-7  ;D and that is who PN-G needs to go through to win a state title.

[quote name="rip2506" post="951651" timestamp="1295534863"]
imagine if no-one played year round club soccer and only played in high school... That would be a kick ball fest and a real spectacle to watch... [/quote]
You are so right! These ignorant high school coaches have no idea how to coach soccer! They'd probably try to call a time out or something...  ::) 
"NO disrespect intended..."  Trust me, your statement is insulting, to say the least.  I'm pretty sure your coaches at Kelly have an idea how to teach the game, keep the ball on the carpet, & play positive soccer.  If I were them, I'd enjoy a little clarification on your statement, because you come off just a tad bit arrogant and condescending.
Just to clear up some information on football since you obviously know nothing about it:  Have you heard of Spring Football?  Have you heard of 7on7? Football in Texas[b] is[/b] year round.
I can name at least a dozen high school programs in Texas filled with players from top-notch clubs who underachieve because the coach can't reign in those little spoiled brats who've been told by their parents that they're better than the other players on the team.

[quote name="Bon_Mot" post="951979" timestamp="1295573930"]
[quote author=rip2506 link=topic=78991.msg951651#msg951651 date=1295534863]
imagine if no-one played year round club soccer and only played in high school... That would be a kick ball fest and a real spectacle to watch... [/quote]
You are so right! These ignorant high school coaches have no idea how to coach soccer! They'd probably try to call a time out or something...  ::)  
"NO disrespect intended..."  Trust me, your statement is insulting, to say the least.  I'm pretty sure your coaches at Kelly have an idea how to teach the game, keep the ball on the carpet, & play positive soccer.  If I were them, I'd enjoy a little clarification on your statement, because you come off just a tad bit arrogant and condescending.
Just to clear up some information on football since you obviously know nothing about it:  Have you heard of Spring Football?  Have you heard of 7on7? Football in Texas[b] is[/b] year round.
I can name at least a dozen high school programs in Texas filled with players from top-notch clubs who underachieve because the coach can't reign in those little spoiled brats who've been told by their parents that they're better than the other players on the team.
[/quote] Bon have you heard of misinterpretation..... High School soccer is neither the egg or the chicken... I am not suggesting the Coach from Ursaline that played at UT cannot coach soccer, only that she receives the benefit of having kids that started when they were 5yrs old not 14 or 15...  I have a nephew who plays 7 on 7 and he does not play year round. My daughter on the other hand starts soccer in August plays till Thanksgiving.. usually goes on a showcase at Christmas then another at New years at the same time started high school soccer the first week of November ( interpretation.. playing for two teams simultaneously) High School runs to late February at that time she picks up where she left off with her club team that took off January and February and now training for the Spring Cup play that usually last to late June if you are successful... basically they play soccer 8 months out of the year... Tell me or show me one person playing football 8 solid months out of the year.  NON-YA! Oh and just so I did not miss something , I called my daughter's boy friend who's best friend is Earl Thomas rookie free satety for the Seatle Sea Hawks and real football nut... He said the max football (Real game situations) you can play is about 5 months.... period!!!  I said you cannot play say 8 or 9 months and he said " Oh no sir"!

Bon I am not speculating, I am preaching pure fact... every great high school soccer player played soccer before the 9th grade... That is all I am saying... and it was in a direct response to a comment made that said lets move the high school season into late February or March and to heck with the club teams schedules.. I will repeat one more time if you did not get it.... Club soccer develops the players for the high schools to take advantage of not the other way around my friend.

Bon I also know that you have a distaste for clubs and some of their players, but many of the kids I have had the pleasure to be around are good kids and they also do their High Schools proud ie The Woodlands, King Wood, PN-G, Lumberton, and Kelly just to name a few.

I back you RIP...HOW? Can anyone damn the club teams?  If not for the coaches and trainers here locally that put in the time outside of High School Soccer; to make our kids better?  We should thank them for their efforts and for making our High School teams more competitive!  COME ON bear....??? >:(

[quote name="sharkstooth" post="952013" timestamp="1295579142"]
I back you RIP...HOW? Can anyone dang the club teams?  If not for the coaches and trainers here locally that put in the time outside of High School Soccer; to make our kids better?  We should thank them for their efforts and for making our High School teams more competitive!  COME ON bear....??? >:(
[/quote]

Thanks Tooth, but I could read between the lines on Bears comments.. I do not think the Bears Bear was really that serious.. it was Bon the Mot who sounded ridiculous to me.

[quote name="Bon_Mot" post="951545" timestamp="1295497131"]
If you're wondering why, consider where you are.  Just about everywhere else in America (and the world) soccer is played during the spring, summer and fall, but when it became a UIL event, the AD's (football coaches) had to figure out where on the calendar to put soccer.  Although most of the rest of the high schools in the country play their season in the fall, there was no way the UIL (football coaches) was gonna let a buncha sissy commies take their players or mess up their practice fields for the freshman football team.  And they didn't want to directly overlap with basketball or baseball, so they stuck it in between.
Now when a teacher says to me, "It sure is soccer weather out there!" when it's 40 degrees and drizzling I just nod my head and realize they don't have a stinking clue.
[/quote]

ps these statements against the fine football coaches of the state of Texas seem arrogant and condescending to me fellow.

[quote name="rip2506" post="952022" timestamp="1295580429"]
[quote author=Bon_Mot link=topic=78991.msg951545#msg951545 date=1295497131]
[/quote]

ps these statements against the fine football coaches of the state of Texas seem arrogant and condescending to me fellow.
[/quote]

Good, I am not the only one who thought so.

I beleive that BonMot was speaking about the part that said...........".imagine if no-one played year round club soccer and only played in high school... That would be a kick ball fest and a real spectacle to watch.." Well I am a coach at a High School and THREE of my players play soccer year around.  And I CAN ASSURE you that my team is in no way a KICKBALL fest but actually play a possession style game and can actually play soccer. HOW because I .. the high school coach does TEACH a style of soccer that is how the game was meant to be played.  And I believe Bon Mot was saying that other sports play year around also, baseball, softball and as for football.  They have their spring practice and during the summer they have their 7 v 7 and start in August .  And along with their daily routine of weights and agilities in their athletic class....... it is a year around event.  I am thrilled and fortunate to have 3 year around players.  But for me.... I teach the game. Sure not all high school coaches care and or do the same.  But alot of the coaches do teach the rite things.

[quote name="sharkfutbol" post="952036" timestamp="1295582323"]
I beleive that BonMot was speaking about the part that said...........".imagine if no-one played year round club soccer and only played in high school... That would be a kick ball fest and a real spectacle to watch.." Well I am a coach at a High School and THREE of my players play soccer year around.  And I CAN ASSURE you that my team is in no way a KICKBALL fest but actually play a possession style game and can actually play soccer. HOW because I .. the high school coach does TEACH a style of soccer that is how the game was meant to be played.   And I believe Bon Mot was saying that other sports play year around also, baseball, softball and as for football.  They have their spring practice and during the summer they have their 7 v 7 and start in August .  And along with their daily routine of weights and agilities in their athletic class....... it is a year around event.  I am thrilled and fortunate to have 3 year around players.  But for me.... I teach the game. Sure not all high school coaches care and or do the same.  But alot of the coaches do teach the rite things.
[/quote]
I watched a soccer game recently where there was obviously 2 different styles of play.  One team played possession, a joy to watch but could not find the back of the net.  The other team capitalized on their defender's clearing the ball and fast forwards.  I won't name the teams as it might ruffle some feathers but personally, I don't care how the goal is scored, as long as it crosses the line, I'm happy.  I don't pretend to know much about the game, but when a team wins, everybody's happy.  Just sayin....

[quote name="rip2506" post="952001" timestamp="1295577987"]
Bon I also know that you have a distaste for clubs and some of their players, but many of the kids I have had the pleasure to be around or good kids and they also do their High Schools proud ie The Woodlands, King Wood, PN-G, Lumberton, and Kelly just to name a few.
[/quote]
If you make a statement like this, then you obviously don't know me.  My distaste is for the eliteist snob who thinks that because a player plays for a certain club, then that player is obviously more talented than someone who plays for a lesser club. It's just not tue. And that high school coaches are just caretakers of talent cultivated by the clubs. Go through my history of posts and find one where I speak negatively about a club.
Your logic is so flawed. Do high school programs need clubs to be good.  Well, duh! What sport is successful where the players begin playing that sport in 9th grade? That's like saying that Shakespeare would be nothing without his grammar school teachers.
So what you're saying is that players get better because of club soccer, but not because of high school? It can't be both? I'm not so smart.It's not like I'm a doctor or something, but what in the bejeebuz do you think I do with my program in the off-season? I see my boys for an hour a day five days a week for the better part of 180 days a year. I'm not real good at math cuz I teach English, but that seems like a bunch, right?
You remind me of a parent who insisted that his son deserved to be on varsity because of all the goals he scored in club.  My response, "If I went to your club coach and told him that your son should get more playing time for his club based on the goals he scored for his high school team, that club coach would laugh in my face and call me an idiot."

[quote name="rip2506" post="952022" timestamp="1295580429"]
[quote author=Bon_Mot link=topic=78991.msg951545#msg951545 date=1295497131]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Then explain to me why the soccer season in Texas is different than it is everywhere else in the US.  The UIL and THSCA is headed, for the most part, by football coaches. Who else can you blame for this decision? Please tell me why they chose to put an outdoor sport on the calendar in the middle of winter.  Really.  I want to hear your explaination.
Condescending? When you speak of something that you obviously know nothing about, you're darn right I'll be patronizing and arrogant. I gotta go now.  I'm planning my game of kick-ball for soccer class tomorrow...

I can say diffent styles of play are wonderful.  If you are athletic and fast then run em in the ground.  However sooner or later someone else is going to be faster than you and when you cant outrun them, you may want to have learned to play soccer. Knock the ball around, pass it and move it until a chance on goal presents itself.   I let our team play long ball in a district match because the other team was so slow and allowed us to do this.  However our team is capable of changing the style and playing possession if need be.  More importantly,  its what we do, for the players that I have to work with.  So people with different athletes will play different styles so,  that is where the coaches come in. What to run, with what we got.

[quote name="sharkfutbol" post="952036" timestamp="1295582323"]
I beleive that BonMot was speaking about the part that said...........".imagine if no-one played year round club soccer and only played in high school... That would be a kick ball fest and a real spectacle to watch.." Well I am a coach at a High School and THREE of my players play soccer year around.  And I CAN ASSURE you that my team is in no way a KICKBALL fest but actually play a possession style game and can actually play soccer. HOW because I .. the high school coach does TEACH a style of soccer that is how the game was meant to be played.   And I believe Bon Mot was saying that other sports play year around also, baseball, softball and as for football.  They have their spring practice and during the summer they have their 7 v 7 and start in August .  And along with their daily routine of weights and agilities in their athletic class....... it is a year around event.  I am thrilled and fortunate to have 3 year around players.  But for me.... I teach the game. Sure not all high school coaches care and or do the same.  But alot of the coaches do teach the rite things.
[/quote]
Coach  I have the utmost respect for you and your program... I stood in the cold the other night and watched as your team beat Vidor.. I even Chastized  my daughter and the other kids for heckling the Vidor goalie during the game (not good sportsmanship) On the Vidor vs Kelly post I praised the play.... I'll admit this has gone to far... but I was only replying to the idea that "Club teams be damned".. something taken way out of context by myself for sure.. My daughter is who she is because of Mike Hughes, Jorge Cruz, Jan Van Beveren and the like.. no disrespect to Brittney she was a good soccer player before for she got to the 9th grade and let me clarify the imagine comment... it should have read... imagine if no one had ever played soccer before coming to high school. That was the point I was trying to make... there are great coaches in high school and you are one of them. What Brittney did for my daughter goes way beyond the sport itself.. she taught her how to deal with her issues and be a strong dedicated woman and I thank her for that. Now lets go win STATE!

Understood.  And I appreciate your coming out and watching.  I have trained teams in Mid County for last 25 years and the last group I have worked around are now seniors at Nederland. There is no doubt that club is a foundation of soccer in high schools.  But the best part is when you play around the state or in Louisiana, you actually now have soccer guys coaching soccer, or soccer ladies coaching soccer girls.  The guy that posted club soccer be damned hopefully was just being a bit of a joker.  He doesnt understand what was already written on the subject, It was put between sports in publick school to fbe the path of least resistance.  I appreciate the support at our games and enjoyed watching the girls team easily work over Houston Christian.  Great game Lady Dawgs.

[font=Verdana][size=14pt][color=crimson]LOVE YOU, BON_MOT !!!!!!!![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=blue]Experience with both high school and club programs is the best teacher...those of you on the outside looking in are unable to understand the comments made by Bon_Mot...no offense intended.[/color][/font]

Bon_Mot has an attitude that prevents him from discussing an issue from a level prospective. Club (Div 1 or above) soccer allows players to learn competitive skills due to the level of play. Almost all high school soccer teams play at a Div 2 (and mostly below) level. Therefore, the competitive skills needed to have a good high school team will not be obtained by players that play in only high school games. It really has nothing to do with high school coaches.

[quote name="DoctorDave" post="952130" timestamp="1295622087"]
Almost all high school soccer teams play at a Div 2 (and mostly below) level.[/quote]

Where, exactly, are you getting this information from?  ??? Kinda painting with a broad brush, aren't you?  Do you mean all high schools in SouthEast Texas?  Or are you excluding the all of the programs in Katy, Cy Fair, Klein, McKinney, Frisco, San Antonio NorthEast and Northside - all loaded with Div I talent. 

Listen, I understand that the club system is my life-blood.  I agree, the club system makes my players better.  But why can't someone throw a little love toward some of the high school programs that help craft young players into better soccer players, as well?  Sometimes, club parents have the attitude that their kids improve as soccer players [i]in spite[/i] of their high school programs.

Please explain to me how I am not discussing with a "level perspective".  What do you mean by level perspective?

And here's a question for you:  Does the club make the player, or the player make the club?  If you can't answer "It's 50/50.", what would your percentage be?

[quote name="rip2506" post="952090" timestamp="1295616430"]
let me clarify the imagine comment... it should have read... imagine if no one had ever played soccer before coming to high school. That was the point I was trying to make... [/quote]

If this is what you meant, then all of this is much ado about nothing.  And I agree, it would be some ugly soccer, and it would make my job a lot more difficult.

Bon_Mot said: Where, exactly, are you getting this information from?

From observation. For example, Friendswood is the only team in all of Region III 4A that I have seen that plays above a Div 2 level, so the percentage there would be about 1%. Agreed that the percentage in that category in 5A is higher, maybe 5-10%. Also, for the record, Kelly plays above a Div 2 level, but not at a Div 1 level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1