Ever Wonder?

Given all the time they get to spend with the players, high school coaches do have the opportunity to make a big difference in developing both individual skills and team play.  At the 5A level, that has begun to happen with more frequency over the last decade or so.  However, with some exceptions, the 4A level still has way too many caretaker coaches who cannot do much to help, and sometimes do a lot to hurt. 

I smiled when I saw the comment about Friendswood.  Although I obviously agree with the assessment, it has always been a great example of the problem.  The Lady Mustangs are annually blessed with too many Premier & D1 players to fit on one team, and they generally can win on talent alone in Region III-4A.  And, they generally play a pretty rugged schedule outside of district.  However, when they get to the State Tournament and face eqally talented teams from the Dallas area,there is always one key ingredient missing.

Wow -- this thread took a wrong turn.  I coach and train competitive club teams.  At the same time, I work and talk with HS soccer coaches.  I am sure some schools fail to provide an athletic program without a coach who has a depth of understanding on the topic -- happened to me in high school with basketball and tennis.  My football coaches were great -- just that my basketball and tennis coaches were football coaches too. 

I don't know that that exists anymore.  And, while you may make observations about a HS team and how they play, you cannot necessarily conclude that is coaching style.  A good coach plays the hand he is dealt.  It may be that he prefers a possession game, but is over-matched in a certain game to utilize it and, instead, has to sit back and wait for the counter.  That happens all the way up the line (just watch Netherland's approach vs. Spain in World Cup final).  That is good coaching.  I would be willing to bet that EVERY club team from this area has found itself in that exact position in Cup or Tournament play (or Div I season).  We just don't have the numbers to compete with Albion, Challenge, Texans, Lonestars, etc. 

I will say that soccer enjoys a unique relationship with its clubs -- I think baseball is going that direction with Select (and Sun Devils, etc.).  But the nucleus of soccer is the club.  Club is were the premiere kids get max. exposure (not all, just more) (through DI, ODP, College Showcases).  But, that is not to say the HS kids with no club experience cannot excel or that the HS coach cannot get college placements for kids. It depends on your coach.  I think the best scenario is for all of it to work together.  I know our HS coach appreciates the club work we do and, likewise, we are thrilled to have a knowledgeable soccer coach who has a passion for the game and deep understanding of it.   

[quote author=DoctorDave link=topic=78991.msg952175#msg952175 date=1295626467]
Bon_Mot said: Where, exactly, are you getting this information from?

From observation. For example, Friendswood is the only team in all of Region III 4A that I have seen that plays above a Div 2 level, so the percentage there would be about 1%. Agreed that the percentage in that category in 5A is higher, maybe 5-10%. Also, for the record, Kelly plays above a Div 2 level, but not at a Div 1 level.
[/quote

That's an accurate assesment of the Kelly Girls team Dr. Dave and I agree, however they did beat a top local Div 1 team once in a scrimmage.... Of course they did borrow or steal 3 or 4 of that Div 1's players since they played for both teams. ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pipi
    Newest Member
    pipi