Game Format

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HATE IT!! Most folks I have talked to hate it too.

I know that Silsbee and WOS voted against it, the other schools in 21-3A voted for it.

Either start the games at 4:30, or go back to how it used to be. There is no sense in having the boys varsity game start after 8pm. Two district games and Silsbee's start times for those varsity boys games have been 8:30 (HJ game) and 8:10 (WOS game). No prior sub varsity or varsity girls game went in OT in either of these games. RIDICULOUS!!!

The other problem, only two schools in the district (HJ and Silsbee) have auxilary gyms that are adjacent to the main gym, which therefore fans are in the same building, making it much easier to see sub varsity games. All the other schools have to use gyms in other locations, with WOS actually having to bus their teams across town to the middle school for the sub-varsity games and then back to the high school for the varsity games. A coaching and administrative nightmare!!

I really hope they go back to how it was the last few years and have all the boys games opposite of where the girls games are.

I agree that the current scheduling is ridiculous. So far I have driven 3 hours, 1:45 & 1:40 one way to away games, getting me home aorind mid-night.

What good id this doing the students, staff and families. I can only imagine how effective everyone is the next morning. I know that I am not. What about the safety factor here? I would love to see the look on a superintendents face when he gets that dreaded call at mid-night that the team bus was involved in an accident. Heaven fobid that this would happen, but explain that logic to a resonable person.

There is one district North of I20 that limits its subvarsity to only one game per week, I think it is only on Fridays.. Heard several reasons, from home late to reduction in funds for travel etc... Still fans have problems with this,playing time for younger players,etc...

" I can't get off in time for a game starting before 5 to see my future NBA All-Star preform for the masses!!!" ;D

Goes both ways,
BucketSItR

Guest jettyman
First and foremost, I would like to know the reasoning behind this decision. Is it budget, travel or a built in crowd for the girls.  I could see the point if the girls and boys were combining on the bus ride when traveling but I don't think that is happening.  Next, I pondered the thought of schools saving money with officials, I didn't calculate any advantage there either. Therefore, it has to be the built in crowd theory.

Next question, did the district committee or athletic directors come up with this idea.

Don't take my tone out of context because I am 100% in favor of Title 9 but late nights for STUDENT/ athletes should be avoided because of the many different obvious reasons.

If it is late nights then do you go to football games.....it ends up being about the same time frame. I agree it could be started a little earlier, but this is what the people who do this for a living came up with, They are educated people, they go to school everyday  ;D, if it doesn't work I'm positive that they will change it. JMHO I like not having to decide witch varsity I'm going to watch (boy's or girls) but I have heard 5 complaints about it and 25 or better say they love it.

I like the idea personally, but the timing is what baffles me.  Why set a game for 7:30 when it is gonna be played at 8 or 830??  Also no disrespect to anyone, but games need to start at 4:30 instead of 5!!!!  I was told it is for parents getting off of work and more importantly for officials getting there to start at 430.  There is no difference between 430 and 500!!!!!!  But there is a HUGE difference between 730 and actually not starting until 8-830!!!!!

Staying up late one day of the week to watch my son play the game he loves is worth it.  We are used to the late nights, the travel etc.  He can sleep in the car on the way home.  It is nice to have the teams at one place, so the girls and boys can support each other, or if you have a son and daughter that both play. 

[quote name="basketball25" post="951317" timestamp="1295474869"]
poppabearstarr football games are fri nights, not tues nights getting home at midnight during a school night is uncalled for!!!
[/quote]

I forgot about it being Tuesday instead of Friday, I do realize that it could probably start sooner. Right now it is about an hour longer from what it was to what it is now, or at least that is the way it seems, I got in my car at 10:00 after the game last night and it used to be 9:00.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="951307" timestamp="1295473976"]
If it is late nights then do you go to football games.....it ends up being about the same time frame. I agree it could be started a little earlier, but this is what the people who do this for a living came up with, They are educated people, they go to school everyday  ;D, if it doesn't work I'm positive that they will change it. JMHO I like not having to decide witch varsity I'm going to watch (boy's or girls) but I have [b]heard 5 complaints about it and 25 or better say they love it.[/b]
[/quote]

I have heard the complete opposite. Heard over 25 complaints about it and maybe 5 that loved it, poppa, you being one of those 5. ;)

Just don't see the benefit out weighing the detriment. They should go back to how it was, if they are what you say they are poppa, SMART, educated folk!! ;)

Guest bleed orange
I like it, maybe it can be modified to accommidate all the whinning parents.  Back when I played the girls and boys varsity played together. Our parents did not have any problem with it. Who cares if kids don't go to bed before midnight, they don't anyway. You people are never happy. Complain, Complain and Complain. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I think it great and about time they went to this format.

[quote name="mfd814" post="951324" timestamp="1295475836"]
Staying up late one day of the week to watch my son play the game he loves is worth it.  We are used to the late nights, the travel etc.  [i][b][size=12pt]He can sleep in the car on the way home.[/size][/b][/i]  It is nice to have the teams at one place, so the girls and boys can support each other, or if you have a son and daughter that both play.  
[/quote]

you mean the bus?

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="mfd814" post="951324" timestamp="1295475836"]
Staying up late one day of the week to watch my son play the game he loves is worth it.  We are used to the late nights, the travel etc.  He can sleep in the car on the way home.  It is nice to have the teams at one place, so the girls and boys can support each other, or if you have a son and daughter that both play. 
[/quote]

Good post, my son was a senior on varsity and my daughter was on varsity also. As a parent you wanted to see both play. Seeing both of them play is worth it to me too stay up a little longer than usual. I was not as fortunate in the "Old" format. I had to choose sometimes what game to go too. Not fair to the kids because they want their parents in the stands watching. Wildcatter if you had a daughter playing the sametime your son was playing your opinion would be different. The atmosphere is way more electric when girls and boys play on the same night at the same place.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951464" timestamp="1295490603"]
I like it, maybe it can be modified to accommidate all the whinning parents.  Back when I played the girls and boys varsity played together. Our parents did not have any problem with it. Who cares if kids don't go to bed before midnight, they don't anyway. You people are never happy. Complain, Complain and Complain. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I think it great and about time they went to this format.
[/quote]

Great post Bleed...I think it's great playin both Varsitys back to back...The kids deserve the packed Gyms.....And we spoiled parents can just get over it....Geez...How much you want to bet Bleed, Administration was called what, last night or this morning?  ::) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317