Game Format

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="tjcfan08" post="951567" timestamp="1295498788"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78980.msg951464#msg951464 date=1295490603]
I like it, maybe it can be modified to accommidate all the whinning parents.  Back when I played the girls and boys varsity played together. Our parents did not have any problem with it. Who cares if kids don't go to bed before midnight, they don't anyway. You people are never happy. Complain, Complain and Complain. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I think it great and about time they went to this format.
[/quote]

Great post Bleed...I think it's great playin both Varsitys back to back...The kids deserve the packed Gyms.....And we spoiled parents can just get over it....Geez...How much you want to bet Bleed, Administration was called what, last night or this morning?   ::) ::)
[/quote]

HaHaHa, I agree tjcfan. There will be an emergency school board meeting over this. :o :o The administration will bow down to the parents again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleed, I like the varsity playing on the same night, my deal is with 3 games instead of 2.  Start one game at 6 and the next at 7:30 instead of 8:30.  Why not put the 3 subvarsity games in the other gym since most school are "unable" to have field 3 girls teams for some reason.  Our boys have had to be back at school at 630 am for our great offseason workouts so that we can at least have a couple of practices in a week.  Not about the parents on this, its about the kids. 

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Wildcatter" post="951662" timestamp="1295536590"]
Bleed, I like the varsity playing on the same night, my deal is with 3 games instead of 2.  Start one game at 6 and the next at 7:30 instead of 8:30.  Why not put the 3 subvarsity games in the other gym since most school are "unable" to have field 3 girls teams for some reason.  Our boys have had to be back at school at 630 am for our great offseason workouts so that we can at least have a couple of practices in a week.  Not about the parents on this, its about the kids. 
[/quote]

I am sure the kinks will be worked out. I only said what I did because the "parents" are the ones complaining on here. 8) 8)

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951464" timestamp="1295490603"]
I like it, maybe it can be modified to accommidate all the whinning parents.  Back when I played the girls and boys varsity played together. Our parents did not have any problem with it. Who cares if kids don't go to bed before midnight, they don't anyway. You people are never happy. Complain, Complain and Complain. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I think it great and about time they went to this format.
[/quote]

Did I ever tell you I like the way you think.... ;D

Guest jettyman
There is a fine line between an opinion and a complaint.  A forum is designed for public OPINIONS.  I am assuming that you consider anyone who doesn't think or believe the way you do will be deemed a WHINER.  We all have a right to voice our opinions as well as you do.

Now, back to the topic at hand and not immature name calling.  I have been involved with competitive sports for over 30 years and completely understand the importance of game day preparations.

First of all, most of these kids leave their house at 7:00 AM game day mornings, therefore, starting a game 13 1/2 hours later is tough on them mentally and physically.  The average person don't understand the pressure these athletes are faced with to perform at a high level.  With that said, my OPINION, every hour of that day is important.

In addition to a very long day, I have witnesses the boys standing at door awaiting their game with 2 minutes left on the game clock which can turn into 30 minutes of real time.  Talking about an emotional roller coaster ride. Alright, almost game time let me get fired up, 12 whistles later they are still waiting.

Here is an idea (OPINION), first round of district games the boys can play the late game, second time through the girls get night cap.

My OPINION is not selfish in nature it is a genuine concern for my kid.  I could care less what time I get home.  

Actually I meant in the car, after leaving school.  he can sleep on the busy, but is usually to busy talking about the game. 

The also don't want to start games much earlier, that would cause the away team to leave school earlier, sometimes missing 2 or more hours of instruction time. 

The girls games do seem to last longer, due to fouls, but the girls bring a crowd of fans with them. 

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="jettyman" post="951767" timestamp="1295546882"]
There is a fine line between an opinion and a complaint.  A forum is designed for public OPINIONS.  I am assuming that you consider anyone who doesn't think or believe the way you do will be deemed a WHINER.  We all have a right to voice our opinions as well as you do.

Now, back to the topic at hand and not immature name calling.  I have been involved with competitive sports for over 30 years and completely understand the importance of game day preparations.

First of all, most of these kids leave their house at 7:00 AM game day mornings, therefore, starting a game 13 1/2 hours later is tough on them mentally and physically.  The average person don't understand the pressure these athletes are faced with to perform at a high level.  With that said, my OPINION, every hour of that day is important.

In addition to a very long day, I have witnesses the boys standing at door awaiting their game with 2 minutes left on the game clock which can turn into 30 minutes of real time.  Talking about an emotional roller coaster ride. Alright, almost game time let me get fired up, 12 whistles later they are still waiting.

Here is an idea (OPINION), first round of district games the boys can play the late game, second time through the girls get night cap.

My OPINION is not selfish in nature it is a genuine concern for my kid.  I could care less what time I get home.  
[/quote]

I like immature name calling better. :P :P I  have been involved with sports for more than 30 years also. If they want to tweek this format thats fine with me but I like the varsity girls and the boy playing at the same venue. That was the way we did it when I played 31 years ago. The kids nor the parents had a problem with it back then and we only had one gym.

If you have a daughter and son playing in the "old way" It made you choose between which child you was going to watch or the parents would split up. I was fortunate because there was only two girl teams so I was able to watch most of my sons games. But if they traveled off I had to choose. You have to look at this from all sides.

Well, given the fact that a 7:30 start time itself is being abandoned by many districts as being too late to start any sporting event, a format that consistently has games starting 45 minutes to an hour past 7:30 at the very least needs to be reviewed.  I understand that this is common place for the smaller schools, so perhaps some consultation should be done with those schools to see what measures that they have instituted to guard against the delays that have befallen 21-3A games so far.

I get that some would like to see the girls be able to perform in front of larger crowds (although I don't know that it is the gives the esteem boost that some think as now these young ladies are subjected to being the opening act for the boy's varsity game whereas under the old system while they may have been player in front of smaller crowds, at least they were the headliners).  I think there are things that can be done to ensure that most complaints are solved.

I imagine it is in someway related to money.  The state is making major cuts and this next year will be even worse.  They are talking about making all small schools consilidate or having a superintendant for the county instead of one at each school and they are not hiring as many teachers and coaches.  All part of the economy.  Gas is also suppossed to get to 5 dollars before too long.

[quote name="Gabe" post="952264" timestamp="1295633386"]
Uv on Mondays and Thursdays. Varsity Girls start at 430-5 Tuesday and fridays, boys follow. Whew. That took three mins in a car to thinknof
[/quote]

That's not going to work. They are trying to cut down the costs. You just added 2 more days during the week that coaches, admins, school workers, buses and facilities have to be used. That only leaves Wed. off. Some teams need their subvarsity teams for practice and that would only leave Wed. for a complete practice. Plus, all subvarsity coaches help with varsity. This would put them having to be at 4 games during the week. When would they be able to practice their subvarsity teams? Not going to happen.

See what you get for not taking the time to think it through. ;) ;D

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="952291" timestamp="1295634726"]
I might not be missing something, but how is this new format supposed to save the respective school districts money?
[/quote]

It really doesn't. But one could say that a facility and all that comes with hosting a game, get's a night off.

Guest bleed orange
I do understand that in order to like girl sports you really have to have a kid playing. I do not watch it on TV but I also do not watch the men on TV until March Madness. That being said I do not believe that the schools are doing this to promote the girls. Why would they do that? At Orangefield we have good crowds at both rather we are winning or losing and so does HJ. When my daughter was a senior they played at HJ and the gym was packed. Both of those schools do not need the boys game to fill the gym for them. Maybe the support is not there at other schools during down years? OF and HJ does not have that problem. Yes, OF has had some down years. Not many though. All in all it is, how well does a community support their team? If some of you guys had a girl and a boy playing your thinking would change. I think if you ask the kids themselve's, most of them like it. The guys want to see the girls play and the girls want to see the guys play. Before they only got to see each other play when their school held a tournament. Also how nice would it have been for Todd Sutherland to watch his daughters play on a regular basis. I know he chose that profession but he would have liked to see his daughters play more. Instead he had to watch film. To say that they changed to help the girls crowd is "Hog Wash". I have seen some girls do fantasic things with a basketball in their hand. Some had the boys going "WOW". ;) ;)

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="952530" timestamp="1295657182"]
I have learned through some sources of mine that this is a one year deal. Look for things to go back to "normal" next season. ;)
[/quote]

>:( >:( >:(

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="952530" timestamp="1295657182"]
I have learned through some sources of mine that this is a one year deal. Look for things to go back to "normal" next season. ;)
[/quote]

The administration bowing down to the parents again. So glad I do not have a kid in high school anymore.  ;D ;D

[quote name="bleed orange" post="952556" timestamp="1295660124"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=78980.msg952530#msg952530 date=1295657182]
[/quote]

The administration bowing down to the parents again. So glad I do not have a kid in high school anymore.  ;D ;D
[/quote]

Actually, from what I was told, it was the administration bowing down to the parents that got it changed to how it is this season.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317