wac stadium sizes

UNLV

[quote name="bigred360" post="949829" timestamp="1295297293"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78846.msg949824#msg949824 date=1295296553]
The bottom line in all these FBS/stadium expansion/play the big boys discussions is this, very few athletic departments in FBS make money.  Not sure what the number is now, but at one time less than 20 FBS programs made money.  It does, however, elevate your univeristy to a different level, especially if you are on TV or participate in a bowl.  In theory, the national exposure means more alumni contributions to the academic side.
[/quote]

True, I believe coachacola posted something with that information given. However, a strong athletic program leads to more participation by the student body. Increase in student enrollment which leads to more aid from the state, more credit hours and so on. Like you stated with a successful athletic department there are more gifts to the university for athletics and academics from the alumni. Then there is more national exposure from getting into the NCAA tournaments in various sports and bowl games.

So, you can lose money and still be better off on the academic side by going FBS. You stated only 20 FBS programs make money. I bet it is even less at the FCS level.

On 5/3/08, Lamar announced it's $100 million campaign and today we are almost 3/4 to the goal as it stands now at $73,841,168. Football was brought back after the students vote to approve a football fee on 2/1/08.
[/quote]

Once they reach $100 mill, I'm sure another campaign will be started to get them into the FBS.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a whole section on the Capital Campaign on the LU website:

[quote]The giving has spread well across all areas of the university, Mouton said. So far $20 million has gone to scholarships, $20 million to academic programs, $15 million to annual programs and $15 million to athletics. Of the total amount given, 47 percent has come from alumni, 25 percent from friends of the university, and 28 percent from corporations and foundations. Of the 480 privately funded scholarships at LU, 143 have been created since the campaign began, a 35 percent increase.[/quote]

Only $15 million has gone to athletics.

http://advancement.lamar.edu/thankful-lu-soars-past-70-million

[quote name="bigred360" post="950011" timestamp="1295314466"]
Coach, have you found anything about when renovations are starting on the Beck? Also, when will we start construction of a softball complex?
[/quote]

I go here for the planned projects at Lamar:  http://www.brb.state.tx.us/cep_search.aspx?action=fin

It says they'll start on Vincent-Beck in 2011 and the softball field in 2013.

[quote name="coachacola" post="950036" timestamp="1295315264"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78846.msg950011#msg950011 date=1295314466]
Coach, have you found anything about when renovations are starting on the Beck? Also, when will we start construction of a softball complex?
[/quote]

I go here for the planned projects at Lamar:  http://www.brb.state.tx.us/cep_search.aspx?action=fin

It says they'll start on Vincent-Beck in 2011 and the softball field in 2013.
[/quote]

For over 3 million, I'm ready to see what the renovations will be at the Beck!

Actually the way I read this is in 2011 they will spend $3,750,000. Then is 2012 another $750,000 will be spent on Vincent-Beck and finally 2013, Lamar will add an additional $500,000 to the renovation project.

Total, that is $5 million. That would be a complete facelift to that facility. Coach G will have a great recruiting tool with a facility worth more than $5,000,000.

The renovations and constructions scheduled through 2014 is in the amount of $157,670,000. That isn't counting the cost of other phases of Cardinal Village or the baseball renovations or the construction of a softball complex which is listed to cost $1,200,000.

If this site is accurate there is going to be a lot of construction over the next 3 years at Lamar University.

Sounds like they are going to build a new facility for that much. They don't need to do anything to the fence as it was just built after the last Hurricane. I agree about the field turf as the baseball surface as that is kind of different.

But, that is less maintenance for the team to deal with before and after games.

[quote name="bigred360" post="950640" timestamp="1295396950"]
It needs to have some shaded areas. I can't think of the word for the structure I'm referring to but all the big-time programs have them.
[/quote]

used to take my son out for gilligan's camp...i swear it was 20 degrees hotter at VB than anywhere else in beaumont

anybody been to aTm's baseball stadium?  My daughter goes there..(blacksheep of a large LU family)..thats a really nice stadium...

[quote name="puddin tane" post="951969" timestamp="1295571312"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78846.msg950640#msg950640 date=1295396950]
It needs to have some shaded areas. I can't think of the word for the structure I'm referring to but all the big-time programs have them.
[/quote]

used to take my son out for gilligan's camp...i swear it was 20 degrees hotter at VB than anywhere else in beaumont

anybody been to aTm's baseball stadium?  My daughter goes there..(blacksheep of a large LU family)..thats a really nice stadium...
[/quote]
Olsen field at A&M is nice. I played there when I was 13 for the state championship. Awesome. I like Vincent Beck though, I remember when the Gators played there, heck I was a bat boy for them for one year. The memories. I think just add visitor locker room next to the indoor batting cages and maybe look at building an awning over the stands like at alot of other college fields that covers the majority of the stands. Just a little more work and I think it will be one of the premier college baseball stadiums around.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="952190" timestamp="1295628609"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78846.msg951969#msg951969 date=1295571312]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78846.msg950640#msg950640 date=1295396950]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Olsen field at A&M is nice. I played there when I was 13 for the state championship. Awesome. I like Vincent Beck though, I remember when the Gators played there, heck I was a bat boy for them for one year. The memories. I think just add visitor locker room next to the indoor batting cages and maybe look at building an awning over the stands like at alot of other college fields that covers the majority of the stands. Just a little more work and I think it will be one of the premier college baseball stadiums around.
[/quote]

I Agree, I love V-B  (could tell John Kruk was one heckuva player watching the gators)

Awnings from first to third..leave the outfield foul line bleachers open to catch fouls...and get rid of the artifical dirt!

One of the reasons for the artificial dirt and grass is to keep the field playable in a typical SETX spring.  Unlike the pros or possibly some big time programs, the field is maintained by the coaches and players.  Would you rather they practice, study and play or work on the field?

[quote name="geezer" post="952547" timestamp="1295659571"]
One of the reasons for the artificial dirt and grass is to keep the field playable in a typical SETX spring.  Unlike the pros or possibly some big time programs, the field is maintained by the coaches and players.  Would you rather they practice, study and play or work on the field?
[/quote]

i gotz no problem with the turf grass..but get some good ole  dirt by those bases.....

gotta have something for those kids that are buried on the depth chart to do

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder