wac stadium sizes

UNLV

[quote name="smith" post="949620" timestamp="1295239750"]
It was 2009:
vs Northwestern      2134
vs Central Arkansas  2817

Who knows what the weather was but the Northwestern was on Halloween and we are well aware of the coaching changes they've made since.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1258547  page 40
[/quote]

I think at least one of those games they have heavy rains that day.  But besides McNeese and Texas State, the SLC is lucky to average 10K per game and I don't see that changing.  If Lamar stays in the SLC they'll be lucky to be drawing 15K per game every year.  Going to the WAC is the next step in a long process to get Lamar athletics to the same level as the other FBS schools in Texas (excluding the BCS schools of course).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="949483" timestamp="1295223954"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=78846.msg949432#msg949432 date=1295218208]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78846.msg949430#msg949430 date=1295218114]
I doubt Lamar would double the size of the stadium all at once, it would be done in phases.  First enclose the north end, then the south end, then probably a big press box with suites on the west side, then finally an upper deck on the east side.  They could do this over a ten period as the attendance grows.

I still say being in the WAC will allow Lamar to attract better home games than if they stayed in the SLC.  No FBS teams will come to Beaumont if Lamar stays in the SLC, not even Sun Belt teams.  So just being in the WAC allows a better non-conference schedule, and they could still schedule McNeese if they wanted to.

Which of these conference home schedules would draw more fans?

Typical SLC home slate: Nicholls State, SFA, McNeese, SLU
Typical WAC home slate: Utah State, SJSU, UTSA, La Tech

One other thing, would Lamar have a good crowd for a Thursday night ESPN game?
[/quote]

The only competition in the area on a Thurs night is Fresh/JV football games. Thursday ESPN game would definitely sell out.
[/quote]Agreed...
I still say once LU go FBS, Lamar should go after a home game in Reliant with Texas or AM.
[/quote]

why would that be a HOME game?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="949652" timestamp="1295249014"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78846.msg949483#msg949483 date=1295223954]
I doubt Lamar would double the size of the stadium all at once, it would be done in phases.  First enclose the north end, then the south end, then probably a big press box with suites on the west side, then finally an upper deck on the east side.  They could do this over a ten period as the attendance grows.

I still say being in the WAC will allow Lamar to attract better home games than if they stayed in the SLC.  No FBS teams will come to Beaumont if Lamar stays in the SLC, not even Sun Belt teams.  So just being in the WAC allows a better non-conference schedule, and they could still schedule McNeese if they wanted to.

[/quote]

The only competition in the area on a Thurs night is Fresh/JV football games. Thursday ESPN game would definitely sell out.
[/quote]Agreed...
I still say once LU go FBS, Lamar should go after a home game in Reliant with Texas or AM.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's like the Sam v SFA game this year. Just a way for each school to make more money. You host a game in a place like that to convince a school like A&M or TU to play you.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="949652" timestamp="1295249014"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78846.msg949483#msg949483 date=1295223954]

[/quote]

[/quote]Agreed...
[/quote]

[/quote]Because Texas would not give up a home game to play Lamar at Reliant. Lamar would need to give up the home game.

Red, you are wrong, Lamar would make far more money playing Texas at Reliant vs Texas in Austin.

Really, to make $900,000 at Reliant or some other neutral site. There would need to be at least 50,000 fan's and the average ticket would need to cost $18 dollars. This is just to get to $900,000. That isn't paying a rental fee for the use of Reliant Stadium or as a lot of colleges do. Pay for the traveling cost of the visiting team.

[quote name="bigred360" post="949670" timestamp="1295271797"]
I know that would be cool to say we hoisted UT or A&M at a neutral site but I'd rather play at their place with a guarantee of about $900,000.
[/quote]
Those are money games that all non-AQ programs need for their athletic department budgets.  Too many of them, coupled with losing the game itself, it not a healthy thing for your program.  Too many games like than can eventually wear your team down, mentally and physically to where they have nothing left when conference games roll around.

[quote name="bigred360" post="949715" timestamp="1295279143"]
One a year wouldn't hurt the program. Now, scheduling 3 or 4 would be a different story.
[/quote]

I think UL-Monroe has 3 scheduled for next year that will bring them over $2 million.  But their athletic budget is the lowest of all FBS schools, even lower than a lot of SLC schools, including Lamar.

[quote name="bigred360" post="949710" timestamp="1295278493"]
Really, to make $900,000 at Reliant or some other neutral site I'm wrong. There would need to be at least 50,000 fan's and the average ticket would need to cost $18 dollars. This is just to get to $900,000. That isn't paying a rental fee for the use of Reliant Stadium or as a lot of colleges do. Pay for the traveling cost of the visiting team.

[/quote]Fans from Austin, 5 million in Houston, and several thousands from SETX would yield more than 50,000 at Reliant.
Funny how you twist the numbers down and leave out concessions and parking and advertising. Your formula would have bankrupt
the Texans long ago.

And the huge recruiting plus gained by Lamar in the Houston area has no price.

[quote name="UNLV" post="949705" timestamp="1295277999"]
Red, you are wrong
[/quote]

Once again UNLV you state that someone is wrong rather than stating that you disagree.  So, why don't you provide the evidence that he's wrong.  Go ahead and show the data that indicates how much Lamar would bring in (net, gross), at Reliant versus how much the payout would be from a game played at Austin.  And I hope you don't plan on providing income figures from games other than FCS vs. FBS at a neutral, high-end facility. 

[quote name="UNLV" post="949741" timestamp="1295283703"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78846.msg949710#msg949710 date=1295278493]
Really, to make $900,000 at Reliant or some other neutral site I'm wrong. There would need to be at least 50,000 fan's and the average ticket would need to cost $18 dollars. This is just to get to $900,000. That isn't paying a rental fee for the use of Reliant Stadium or as a lot of colleges do. Pay for the traveling cost of the visiting team.

[/quote]Fans from Austin, 5 million in Houston, and several thousands from SETX would yield more than 50,000 at Reliant.
Funny how you twist the numbers down and leave out concessions and parking and advertising. Your formula would have bankrupt
the Texans long ago.

[/quote]

So, you want a home game where the other team out draws the Cardinals? Man, I'm not trying to twist anything. I'd love for Lamar to have a fan base to draw 50,000. I didn't think about concessions, parking or advertising. I'm a nurse not an accountant.

If we get beat by 50 there will be no recruiting plus. Why do you think Coach Woodard didn't want the SFA game on TV?

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="949743" timestamp="1295284003"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78846.msg949705#msg949705 date=1295277999]
Red, you are wrong
[/quote]

Once again UNLV you state that someone is wrong rather than stating that you disagree.  So, why don't you provide the evidence that he's wrong.  Go ahead and show the data that indicates how much Lamar would bring in (net, gross), at Reliant versus how much the payout would be from a game played at Austin.  And I hope you don't plan on providing income figures from games other than FCS vs. FBS at a neutral, high-end facility. 
[/quote]
Uh, Texas or A & M will not play for free.  I really don't know how teams work the net profits from a game but I'd bet Lamar would get a whole lot less than Texas.  Just saying.....

[quote name="bigred360" post="949748" timestamp="1295284692"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78846.msg949741#msg949741 date=1295283703]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78846.msg949710#msg949710 date=1295278493]

the Texans long ago.

[/quote]

So, you want a home game where the other team out draws the Cardinals? Man, I'm not trying to twist anything. I'd love for Lamar to have a fan base to draw 50,000. I didn't think about concessions, parking or advertising. I'm a nurse not an accountant.

If we get beat by 50 there will be no recruiting plus. Why do you think Coach Woodard didn't want the SFA game on TV?
[/quote]Would you be shocked if Texas out draw Lamar at Reliant? Would you be shocked if Texas won by 50?
This game would earn Lamar more money and exposure.

And I would hope Woodard understand he was not hired to hide Lamar from SFA or any school. Nobody expect LU to beat
Texas, just put up a good fight.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="949797" timestamp="1295292563"]
I think yall are missing the point. Either way, these neutral site home games or flat out road games pay 20 times more than any game we would get in the Southland. Either of those games would significantly benefit Lamar. But for that to ever happen we would have to he in the WAC.
[/quote]

Totally agree with that statement and I'm not saying UNLV is wrong. As I don't know what the gross and net profit would be playing in Houston at Reliant with tickets, parking, concessions and etc. against a Big XII team and what their share of the profit would be.

Playing in Austin or College Station you know what the profit is because it is a guarantee game.

You are going to make more money as a FBS school playing at one of the elite programs than you would as a FCS school. That is just one of the benefits of going FBS in football.

From an earlier Beaumont Enterprise article about Lamar moving up to FBS:

[quote]Lamar announced Thursday that it would play future road games against Hawaii in 2012, Oklahoma State in 2013 and Texas A&M in 2014. The school will get payouts of $125,000 from Hawaii, $375,000 from Oklahoma State and $350,000 from A&M and Lamar will also have travel and lodging expenses paid for by Hawaii, head coach Ray Woodard said.

Teams in the Bowl Subdivision commonly get much larger payouts for guarantee games. Tubbs estimated the payouts for Bowl Subdivision teams to be in the $750,000 range and above. Sun Belt school North Texas will get $975,000 to play a 2013 game at Georgia, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported. South Alabama, a future football-playing member of the Sun Belt, will get $850,000 for a 2013 game at Tennessee, espn.com reported.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Deals-could-mean-bigger-things-for-LU-athletics-732743.php#ixzz1BK9OFesp
[/quote]

Lamar can double the money by being FBS.  If Lamar does join the WAC I wonder if that would affect these deals?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Deals-could-mean-bigger-things-for-LU-athletics-732743.php?showFullArticle=y#page-2

[quote name="bigred360" post="949793" timestamp="1295291996"]
Let's see if I can answer these. Nope. Nope. Probably. Don't hide. Don't expect to win just play hard.

I think I got it.
[/quote]At SFA, I never saw such a cowardly low class performance ever. Lamar quit, Woodard quit, no heart.
Lamar should at least make Texas nervous.

The bottom line in all these FBS/stadium expansion/play the big boys discussions is this, very few athletic departments in FBS make money.  Not sure what the number is now, but at one time less than 20 FBS programs made money.  It does, however, elevate your univeristy to a different level, especially if you are on TV or participate in a bowl.  In theory, the national exposure means more alumni contributions to the academic side.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="949824" timestamp="1295296553"]
The bottom line in all these FBS/stadium expansion/play the big boys discussions is this, very few athletic departments in FBS make money.  Not sure what the number is now, but at one time less than 20 FBS programs made money.  It does, however, elevate your univeristy to a different level, especially if you are on TV or participate in a bowl.  In theory, the national exposure means more alumni contributions to the academic side.
[/quote]

True, I believe coachacola posted something with that information given. However, a strong athletic program leads to more participation by the student body. Increase in student enrollment which leads to more aid from the state, more credit hours and so on. Like you stated with a successful athletic department there are more gifts to the university for athletics and academics from the alumni. Then there is more national exposure from getting into the NCAA tournaments in various sports and bowl games.

So, you can lose money and still be better off on the academic side by going FBS. You stated only 20 FBS programs make money. I bet it is even less at the FCS level.

On 5/3/08, Lamar announced it's $100 million campaign and today we are almost 3/4 to the goal as it stands now at $73,841,168. Football was brought back after the students vote to approve a football fee on 2/1/08.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder