Silsbee Middle School player does not have to cut his hair

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="speechless" post="943826" timestamp="1294415130"]
if you dont enforce it at the junior high then when they get to high school the parents will say "he got to do it in junior high why cant he do it in high school?"

someone made the comment about the military wanting to look professional

whats wrong with wanting young men to look professional in their appearance as they represent an entire community, school district, and school

when i was in high school i wanted to shave those racer lines into my head and my dad told me "sure do it and then find someone who will let you live in their house with that kind of hair cut"

bluedove you say you saw the kids hair last night and there is nothing wrong with it
why don't you understand that it is not about one particular hairstyle but more about setting those boundaries so that those that always want to go one step too far can't?  it is about setting boundaries and higher standards for kids that are expected to act and perform at a higher level than others.  there are businesses that only allow black, navy, or dark gray suits to be worn.  there are school districts that require male teachers to wear ties and only wear jeans on Fridays.  there are rules all over this world and the general consensus is if you don't like the rules then you don't have to work for us.  what is wrong with teaching these kids these life lessons now?  it is real world preparation.  too many of this kids have their parents as their friends and not as their parents and that is what causes crap like this to happen.  it wasnt that long ago that i was in school and if i didn't like the way a rule was i was told "oh well life aint fair".
[/quote]

I am quoting that and just saying "what he said" because I couldn't have put it any better.

We went thru the hair thing back in the 60's believe me long hair was in.......
Never was an issue in school, if you wanted to play any sport it was crew cut and guess what those who wanted to play got a crew cut. I say let the young man make his own decision. Life is about choices, let him learn early what that choice will mean and what is more important to him. Their are consequences to our decisions. Not going to play basketball because of a haircut, you have got to be kidding me.

Say this three times to yourself... Im not playing ball because of my hair.........................

REALLY>>>> Where are you're priorities

And the military idea is you all are the same and treated the same and you will work together and be a team. What the heck is wrong with that.
The military hair cut isnt to humiliate you it is to let you know you will all be one, together you can conquer anything. I think the greatest generation really believed that because thats why we all get to play and enjoy freedom. All because of our hair................................................................

Throw your hair on the floor and be the best you can be ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="943867" timestamp="1294418957"]
Very good post, speechless.

I was told that the decision was made to allow the player to wear his hair as is because they were late in implementing the rule (week of 1st game) at the middle school.

Next school year, the middle school will enforce the rule just like it is at the high school. The high school hair policy will remain the same but will be worded a little differently.

The players coming from middle school to high school next year will have to comply with the rule to be able to play basketball.

end of story.
[/quote]Exactly, word the policy differently and fair for all.

[quote name="LT Dan" post="943675" timestamp="1294372019"]
What a shame...just another example of a professional and well-respected coach trying to create a standard for those who will eventually play on his team only to be overruled by administrators afraid to tell parents where they can take lil Johnny to play by a set of rules they agree with.

I certainly hope these same administrators don't do the same thing when this same lil Johnny finally enters Silsbee High School.  It certainly sends the wrong message to not only this kid but his teammates and every other parent who has wondered what would happen if they made a stink about a certain rule they don't agree with. 

Rules are rules, and participating in extracurricular activities is a privilege, not a right.  It's irrelevant if it's participating in cheerleading, band, math club or a sport.  In the grand scheme, is it really significant that a junior high kid has the rules changed for him because his parents made a stink and the administrators didn't support their coach?  Not particularly, but it's just sad.  If my kid's coach said that in order to play on his team, all players had to wear a yellow watch, you can bet I'd be at Academy looking for a yellow watch...actually two yellow watches because I know he'd lose the first one. 
[/quote]

LMAO.....mine would lose the first 3

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="943906" timestamp="1294422501"]
[b]I'd go join a religious organization where it is a custom to wear dreds.[/b] There is nothing wrong with his hair. I was leaning towards the Silsbee district at first, but not anymore after seeing the kid.
[/quote]

adopt a religion for a hairstyle rule? now there's some deep faith. :D :D :D

[quote name="dayton" post="943914" timestamp="1294422988"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78336.msg943906#msg943906 date=1294422501]
[b]I'd go join a religious organization where it is a custom to wear dreds.[/b] There is nothing wrong with his hair. I was leaning towards the Silsbee district at first, but not anymore after seeing the kid.
[/quote]

[/quote]Okay, heres more faith for you. Sampson for one example. He was a Nazrite. He never  cut his hair. Certain religious sects out of India don't cut their hair.
  Bob Marley's sect (dreads)...hmmm?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="943967" timestamp="1294428910"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=78336.msg943914#msg943914 date=1294422988]
[/quote]

[/quote]Okay, heres more faith for you. Sampson for one example. He was a Nazrite. He never  cut his hair. Certain religious sects out of India don't cut their hair.
[/quote]

I was just kidding. I understood what you meant. I was imagining joining a religious organization to skirt a rule..... hence the laughy faces. ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we will all be as honest as possible about this discussion, in 99% of the cases, the religion issue is simply a way to break the rules.  Show me the guy who is truly devout and also a basketball player.  Cause I want to follow him for a few days and find out just how "religious" he truly is.

[/quote]

[/quote] Well I guess that after seeing you bring up Bob Marley, I guess its OK to smoke a joint during halftime to settle their nerves ;D I seem to remember seeing that smoking pot is religious right in Call. Maybe the kid can move West.

[quote name="True Blue" post="943979" timestamp="1294430398"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78336.msg943967#msg943967 date=1294428910]
[/quote]

[/quote] Well I guess that after seeing you bring up Bob Marley, I guess its OK to smoke a joint during halftime to settle their nerves ;D I seem to remember seeing that smoking pot is religious right in Call. Maybe the kid can move West.
[/quote]C'mon True, even Christian ministers have used pot ;D

[quote name="True Blue" post="943995" timestamp="1294432834"]
Smoking a few joints aint never killed anyone, but just like the hair thing, Its agains someones rules.
[/quote]

Any thoughts on that "certain religion" where they get on their rugs and pray to their Master just prior to getting in a car and killing themselves and everyone nearby? 

[quote name="stevenash" post="943996" timestamp="1294432920"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=78336.msg943995#msg943995 date=1294432834]
Smoking a few joints aint never killed anyone, but just like the hair thing, Its agains someones rules.
[/quote]

Any thoughts on that "certain religion" where they get on their rugs and pray to their Master just prior to getting in a car and killing themselves and everyone nearby? 
[/quote] Be carefull your head down a slipper slope . We dont wont to deprive anyone of their right to pray or the way they wear there hair. :o

[quote name="bullets13" post="944004" timestamp="1294434122"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=78336.msg943995#msg943995 date=1294432834]
[/quote]

but who that someone is makes a big difference.
[/quote] Now we're getting some were. ;)

Why is it always a White -Black thing , what you don't say there is the standards are already set.
If your kid don't want to follow the rules he can sit the bench. When I was in school some schools
had hair policies and some schools didn't enforce the policies they have on the books. No child should be
an exception it's a simple choice follow the rules or live your life the way you want to. You can't have it both ways!
I left home at 15 be cause I didn't want to follow the rules set forth by my father boy was that a mistake.
There are consequences in all choices that's the game of life.

[quote name="Scooter!" post="943585" timestamp="1294363978"]
hair does not affect the ball going in the hoop. God created you with hair so you should wear it how you see fit in a tasteful way IMO
[/quote]

God created coaches to run a program and they set the rules.  If the coaches' rules say have your hair a certain way, then go get your hair in compliance or go find something else to do.  A hair policy is a decision by the coach and it's his program.  Next thing you know, we will have parents calling the Beaumont Enterprise because a coach plays zone and their child wants to play man to man. 

[quote name="jarhead15" post="944774" timestamp="1294525440"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=78336.msg943585#msg943585 date=1294363978]
hair does not affect the ball going in the hoop. God created you with hair so you should wear it how you see fit in a tasteful way IMO
[/quote]

God created coaches to run a program and they set the rules.  If the coaches' rules say have your hair a certain way, then go get your hair in compliance or go find something else to do.  A hair policy is a decision by the coach and it's his program.  Next thing you know, we will have parents calling the Beaumont Enterprise because a coach plays zone and their child wants to play man to man. 
[/quote]
bet it happens now!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont