Best Point Guard in SETX

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="939565" timestamp="1293670606"]
Best Point guard means these guys know how to get the ball to their teammates in scoring positions. Play fantastic on and off the ball defense. Also able to bring a little bit of scoring to the table to help out the team.
[/quote]

I think this is dated. I think the best point guards are the ones that get the ball out in the open court and push the tempo. They need to be able to distribute the ball to open teammates. They need to be able to make the open three especially against a zone. I really think in today's game the point guard needs to be just as much of a scorer as a distributor.

I think the same as was said early .. the one that fits his team the best The 2 I have seen  are different type of players but they are the best for their teams. Gus for HJ and Jones for EC.. Gus can push the ball and make the other team use a lot of energy trying to stop him and when they try and tighten up the inside that opens up the out side for the 3. In Jones he makes his team better by hitting the open man with strong passes. They both fit the system that they are playing in.

[quote name="BABY BUCS RULE" post="939457" timestamp="1293660116"]
Who do you think is the best point guard in SETX I think Gus HJ but i have not seen Silsbee.
[/quote]
I am not about to declare who the best is since I'm not able to see a lot of other high school games but
I know our starting point guard @ HJ(Gustafson) is extremely valuable.   

There may not be a true PG in SETX.Both the kids from Silsbee and HJ do a good job of playing within the system they play in.I have also been impressed with the kid from LCM,Woodville and the best I've seen myself this year is the kid from Lufkin Hudson.He could score at will and could get the ball to his team mates at will,they didn't always finish but he put it where it needed to be.

[quote name="whsalum" post="939691" timestamp="1293684182"]
There may not be a true PG in SETX.Both the kids from Silsbee and HJ do a good job of playing within the system they play in.I have also been impressed with the kid from LCM,Woodville and the best I've seen myself this year is the kid from Lufkin Hudson.He could score at will and could get the ball to his team mates at will,they didn't always finish but he put it where it needed to be.
[/quote]Ah yes,one of the toughest pg's is the kid who can create his own shot, score at will,  and can make  his weakest player look good. Play tough defense and lead by example in practices and games.

Dont say that BlueDove.  That is heresy. JK
The best PG is not the one that fits his team best, that is a blanket statement that could be said about any PG.  The BEST PG should be able to go to any team at any time and be able to create offense and play defense. 
Attributes IMO:  A GREAT PG should be a leader on the court and off.  To have the following he will need to have great footwork, balance, and hand eye coordination. He should be able to contribute on all facets of the offense and the defense, he should be a threat from outside and a threat to penetrate and score at the basket or kickout to spot up shooters.  He should be able to pass beyond anything else. He should see the game before it happens, some belive this can be trained some believe it is innate.  He should be able to control the tempo of the game.  He should be able to hit FT's.  A good PG should be able to do it all.  A great defender, a great rebounder.  He should be an extension of the coach on the floor.  He should have a very good assists/turnover ratio.  Look at the two best PG the game has ever seen IMO:  John Stockton and Steve Nash, one is the all time leader in assist and steals, and one has 2 MVPS to his credit as well as having the highest shooting percentage of any guard over his career.  See Brian McCormick for percentages of shooting. 
Im ready. 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="939729" timestamp="1293712127"]
Dont say that BlueDove.  That is heresy. JK
The best PG is not the one that fits his team best, that is a blanket statement that could be said about any PG.  The BEST PG should be able to go to any team at any time and be able to create offense and play defense.  
Attributes IMO:  A GREAT PG should be a leader on the court and off.  To have the following he will need to have great footwork, balance, and hand eye coordination. He should be able to contribute on all facets of the offense and the defense, he should be a threat from outside and a threat to penetrate and score at the basket or kickout to spot up shooters.  He should be able to pass beyond anything else. He should see the game before it happens, some belive this can be trained some believe it is innate.  He should be able to control the tempo of the game.  He should be able to hit FT's.  A good PG should be able to do it all.  A great defender, a great rebounder.  He should be an extension of the coach on the floor.  He should have a very good assists/turnover ratio.  Look at the two best PG the game has ever seen IMO:  John Stockton and Steve Nash, one is the all time leader in assist and steals, and one has 2 MVPS to his credit as well as having the highest shooting percentage of any guard over his career.  See Brian McCormick for percentages of shooting.  
Im ready.  
[/quote]Oh God!!!! Man, I was with you all the way UNTIL you brought in Nash and Stockton. Now we gotta hear from our own Stevie Nash. He'll probably want to throw in John Paxon (sp?) :D :D  But we are talking about high school point guards. ;)

I know, I had to throw in Nash and the NBA.  And I just listed a couple of my favorites, Magic is definetly up there. 
Im through with the NBA stuff.  I think overall though, me and you agree on what a PG is made of and I think we also agree on the posts and threads(even thought I didnt post) about the AAU circuit and players from SETexas and the caliber of player it takes to make it to the Major Divsion 1 Level.  Some people just dont quite understand until they have seen it first hand. 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="939741" timestamp="1293715269"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=78057.msg939729#msg939729 date=1293712127]
Dont say that BlueDove.  That is heresy. JK
The best PG is not the one that fits his team best, that is a blanket statement that could be said about any PG.  The BEST PG should be able to go to any team at any time and be able to create offense and play defense.  
Attributes IMO:  A GREAT PG should be a leader on the court and off.  To have the following he will need to have great footwork, balance, and hand eye coordination. He should be able to contribute on all facets of the offense and the defense, he should be a threat from outside and a threat to penetrate and score at the basket or kickout to spot up shooters.  He should be able to pass beyond anything else. He should see the game before it happens, some belive this can be trained some believe it is innate.  He should be able to control the tempo of the game.  He should be able to hit FT's.  A good PG should be able to do it all.  A great defender, a great rebounder.  He should be an extension of the coach on the floor.  He should have a very good assists/turnover ratio.  Look at the two best PG the game has ever seen IMO:  John Stockton and Steve Nash, one is the all time leader in assist and steals, and one has 2 MVPS to his credit as well as having the highest shooting percentage of any guard over his career.  See Brian McCormick for percentages of shooting.  
Im ready.  
[/quote]Oh God!!!! Man, I was with you all the way UNTIL you brought in Nash and Stockton. Now we gotta hear from our own Stevie Nash. He'll probably want to throw in John Paxon (sp?) :D :D  But we are talking about high school point guards. ;)
[/quote]  Sorry Dove, but I have to go with Allen Iverson - not so much on his stats but his outstanding personal character/family values ( If Ron Artest and Dennis Rodman were point guards, it would have been a more difficult decision for me)

[quote name="whsalum" post="939691" timestamp="1293684182"]
[/quote]
      Agreed, have not seen a true PG. Alot of athletes playing basketball. Not alot of true PGs out there on HS Varsity's.  Mostly we have 2s, 3s and 4s.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="939744" timestamp="1293716737"]
So, since we established what a good PG is supposed to do, back to the original question without all that 'homerism'.  [b]There are a few people that have seen several teams that can reply[/b], not someone that will just pick their team's PG...
[/quote]

You talkin 'bout me? You talkin 'bout me? Is he talkin 'bout me? ;D ;D

Soulja, I am going to wait and hold my thoughts on this subject till our preview show comes back on Jan. 3. ;)

Best all around PG in SETX:
I would have to say HJ’s Gus
I have watched that kid play for some time and his is the Steve Nash of that team great player

Most athletic PG in SETX would defiantly be:
Kelton Ganies from Silsbee
The Tigers had to play some early season games without him and upon his return you could see the boost he gives his team
very athletic player 

Another kid to mention that isn’t in SETX is Kevin Wagner from Lubbock Estacado the kid is a senior PG and helped Estacado win their 1st State Championship last year as a junior

I heard Kevin Wagner is scary good especially for his size @ 5 foot 8 inches
but that still doesn’t stop him from throwing down some dunks as seen on some YouTube footage

I hope that Gus or Ganies will get a chance to match up with Wagner @ State

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83