Best Point Guard in SETX

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="939802" timestamp="1293726542"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=78057.msg939744#msg939744 date=1293716737]
So, since we established what a good PG is supposed to do, back to the original question without all that 'homerism'.  [b]There are a few people that have seen several teams that can reply[/b], not someone that will just pick their team's PG...
[/quote]

You talkin 'bout me? You talkin 'bout me? Is he talkin 'bout me? ;D ;D

Soulja, I am going to wait and hold my thoughts on this subject till our preview show comes back on Jan. 3. ;)
[/quote]Yes, It was you!  ;D ;D  And yes, that would be a good subject to talk about!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Not a lot of pure point guards in the area. There are lots of 'creative players' especially from Silsbee, but I would not consider them a BJ Tyler type PG. However, the most impressive forward/post I've seen is the kid from Silsbee...WOW!! The tall lankey kid from Nederland should be considered too. Points guards r not that impressive this year, that's prob why the only team from SETX that has a chance to make it to Austin is the team from Silsbee. Big men win district championships....guards win state championships.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="945322" timestamp="1294644366"]
Not a lot of pure point guards in the area. There are lots of 'creative players' especially from Silsbee, but I would not consider them a BJ Tyler type PG. However, the most impressive forward/post I've seen is the kid from Silsbee...WOW!! The tall lankey kid from Nederland should be considered too. Points guards r not that impressive this year, that's prob why the only team from SETX that has a chance to make it to Austin is the team from Silsbee. Big men win district championships....guards win state championships.
[/quote]Thank you! For me to pick a best point guard, he's got to have the skills of a point guard. A triple threat type of player who has all or most of the tools. But give me a true pg and a big man to win championships.

The best two PG's in SETX don't play their natural positions in High School.  This is the handicap given to alot of kids from smaller schools and non-prep or private schools.  When you are the best player on your team and you are a guard, you are automatically put into the 2-guard role in high schools with little talent.  These kids are both 6'2" and would play their natural positions at larger schools and both would be much higher recruited if they did.  I have watched them both run the offenses, score, make the right pass, and play really good defense.  One of the kids could play on the level poor man's John Wall with his athleticism if the coaching was there to push him to his potential. Both are more naturally PG by heith and ability but are forced to play off the ball because they score so well.  Both have to force their game because of the lack of coaching to put them in a place to be most successful.  The kids I am speaking of?  Smith (poor man's Wall) of Central and Green of Ozen!

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="945400" timestamp="1294676127"]
The best two PG's in SETX don't play their natural positions in High School.  This is the handicap given to alot of kids from smaller schools and non-prep or private schools.  When you are the best player on your team and you are a guard, you are automatically put into the 2-guard role in high schools with little talent.  These kids are both 6'2" and would play their natural positions at larger schools and both would be much higher recruited if they did.  I have watched them both run the offenses, score, make the right pass, and play really good defense.  One of the kids could play on the level poor man's John Wall with his athleticism if the coaching was there to push him to his potential. Both are more naturally PG by heith and ability but are forced to play off the ball because they score so well.  Both have to force their game because of the lack of coaching to put them in a place to be most successful.  The kids I am speaking of?  Smith (poor man's Wall) of Central and Green of Ozen!
[/quote]Sometimes it just don't pay to be 6'2" in high school

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="945405" timestamp="1294676396"]
[quote author=ABSENT! link=topic=78057.msg945400#msg945400 date=1294676127]
[/quote]Sometimes it just don't pay to be 6'2" in high school
[/quote]
I agree Dove, eventhough you are a natural point, you get thrown in at 2guard while some 5'7" kid starts at the point!

[quote name="desethion" post="945435" timestamp="1294678350"]
even though D.C plays post for silsbee he is actually the best pg in south east texas. he makes the best decision for silsbee and matter of fact he would be able to do that to any team in setx.
[/quote]

I certainly agree with you on Mr. Stallworths talent but I am afraid you  have stretched it quite a bit to declare him the best point guard in Southeast Texas.  Based on your supposition, I would like to retroactively declare Jarvis Benard and Ryan Donahoe as the best post players in setx in recent years.

[quote name="grinch12" post="945499" timestamp="1294685285"]
john erwin from burkeville texas.. he is fast, quick, great 3 point shooter... just an ultimate offensive threat that silsbee couldnt even handle... go back and watch tape.. silsbee couldnt hold him for anything... this kid is great!
[/quote]

Erwin scored 11 points against Silsbee, 6 in 1st half, 5 in second half, in a 91-42 loss to Silsbee. I think the Tigers handled him very well, even without the services of their best player, DC Stallworth. DC more than likely would have swatted away some of Erwins shots. ;) Robertson of Burkeville actually led them in scoring with 12, Bran also had 10.

I have seen better point guards in the area.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="945506" timestamp="1294686037"]
[quote author=grinch12 link=topic=78057.msg945499#msg945499 date=1294685285]
john erwin from burkeville texas.. he is fast, quick, great 3 point shooter... just an ultimate offensive threat that silsbee couldnt even handle... go back and watch tape.. silsbee couldnt hold him for anything... this kid is great!
[/quote]

Erwin scored 11 points against Silsbee, 6 in 1st half, 5 in second half, in a 91-42 loss to Silsbee. I think the Tigers handled him very well, even without the services of their best player, DC Stallworth. DC more than likely would have swatted away some of Erwins shots. ;) Robertson of Burkeville actually led them in scoring with 12, Bran also had 10.

I have seen better point guards in the area.
[/quote]Ouch...

my bad point forward is what D.C. is. if you think about it D.C. made every great play and decision for silsbee on there way to state last year. when he was out this year that was not the same team as with him. some of yall would say because he a big time post and blocks shot, etc, etc, but the truth is he makes everyone better because he slow it down and makes it easy for everyone. if he was at a private school or had some height on the team like last year he would be a tough physical athletic wing player who handle the rock and makes his team better. i like trey and smith but they are natural 2 that can put it on the floor, create, pass, score, and draw contact. if these two played only the one position then every once in a while it would be that bad shot just so i get my shots shot. if you dont think so just ask coaches that played at memorial j. brown. he would take some bad shot just to get up shots.

yeah well from what vie seen and heard no one could handle him.. he had an off game and recently if you looked at the games played he has been pouring it on... he averaged 19 his junior year.. he handled spurger and leggett with ease and from fans perspective they said he was shaking silsbee... just shots werent falling. he had good looks. silsbee is a great team full of awesome athletes.. but they arent all better than everyone.. jeremy robertson is a great athlete also... its tough when u got a 1-a school vs a 3-a powerhouse... burkeville has heart... just watch the tape. he had so many open shots but passed showing his leadership and his unselfish nature..

:) GO MUSTANGS GO!!!!!!! :) thats just my opinion.. i mean the kid is only freshman of the year, all district 1st team every year, and a great mind out there on the court.. that was my argument and my pick.. the thread is about who we think... your a silsbee fan and ima burkeville fan.. so thats my honest opinion and his stats dont lie.

[quote name="grinch12" post="945555" timestamp="1294689982"]
the correct score of that game was 84-42. a close friend of mine verified that through the books
[/quote]

Well I broadcasted the game, the score was 91-42.

Scoring for both teams in that game:

Burkeville

Robertson   12
Erwin         11
Bran          10
Brooks         6
Turner        3

Silsbee

Gaines       22
Lane         15
Elam          10
Holmes       10
T. Barrett    9
Busby          8
Rhone          6
Barclay        5
Harris          4
Wilson         2

That adds up to 91-42, Silsbee.

BTW, Silsbee's point guard Gaines led all scorers in this game with 22. ;)

You said Erwin had an off game, but then say that Silsbee could not handle him. Give me a break. Silsbee has seen better point guards this year and have a much better point guard themselves in Gaines.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder