Jeremy Johnson is leaving West Virginia

Sleepy, there is no doubt that RG is a stud but at the QB position it is best to stay all four years. Compare the guys that left school for the NFL early and the one who played as a senior in college. There is a better percentage of QB's starring who played as a senior.

If you are talking about Art Biles, look at Kevin Kolb with the Eagles out of UH. He played for a great team in Stephenville, Texas in high school so he was ahead of the game (knowledge of Art Biles system) since Art Biles was his HS coach and when he went to Houston and starred as a freshman.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigred360" post="875386" timestamp="1287165167"]
Sleepy, there is no doubt that RG is a stud but at the QB position it is best to stay all four years. Compare the guys that left school for the NFL early and the one who played as a senior in college. There is a better percentage of QB's starring who played as a senior.

If you are talking about Art Biles, look at Kevin Kolb with the Eagles out of UH. He played for a great team in Stephenville, Texas in high school so he was ahead of the game (knowledge of Art Biles system) when he went to Houston and starred as a freshman. 
[/quote]

i agree totally with you on staying.  However the kid is graduating this december so he may decide to leave to try the NFL as he has dreams of being a lawyer so he wants to get to the NFL ASAP and see if its for him.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="875248" timestamp="1287152072"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=74394.msg875209#msg875209 date=1287147548]
My kids earn everything they have...and like the real world, they have to maintain it....so I say, I will get you anything you want, but are you willing to pay for it in the long run....they maintain items with grades, chores, and effort during competition.....i.e when they didn't have anything(before 13) they were entitled to keep all grades above 75%....as cell phone came in and so forth that increased to 80% and 84%....if they score below that on a report card the loose there phone for a six weeks for not maintaining their grades, similar to someone who decides to buy a new car, if you don't pay it, you loose it....you have to work harder....computer privileges, organizer up keep, chores not completed in a timely manner, and my favorite, lack of effort in competition....one of my sons told me once "I can't finish first everytime", I told him he better be willing to die trying! ....come live with us.. ;D
[/quote]
Gotta love a jar head.  It is the same at our house.
[/quote]
I figured I'd save my sons a couple of years and they just may get the point with Dad and not the Corps...but if they don't get it with Dad, to the Corps it is. 8)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="875237" timestamp="1287150854"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=74394.msg875209#msg875209 date=1287147548]
My kids earn everything they have...and like the real world, they have to maintain it....so I say, I will get you anything you want, but are you willing to pay for it in the long run....they maintain items with grades, chores, and effort during competition.....i.e when they didn't have anything(before 13) they were entitled to keep all grades above 75%....as cell phone came in and so forth that increased to 80% and 84%....if they score below that on a report card the loose there phone for a six weeks for not maintaining their grades, similar to someone who decides to buy a new car, if you don't pay it, you loose it....you have to work harder....computer privileges, organizer up keep, chores not completed in a timely manner, and my favorite, lack of effort in competition....one of my sons told me once "I can't finish first everytime", I told him he better be willing to die trying! ....come live with us.. ;D
[/quote]dayum Sarge
[/quote]
I'm not saying this is a perfect system, but I'm raising MEN not boys...big difference...boys will stay at home, men will make it anywhere...you think they're gonna wanna stay with me?

Griffin vs White...The systems dictated the passing numbers.

Take a look again, both guys completed roughly 65% of thier passes! Just so happens Griffin plays in Briles system which requires him to throw more than White did under Rodriguez. If Griffin were at Michigan right now he would be throwing less and running more, especially if he had a guy like Slaton in the backfield as White did (more option football).

[quote name="badndn" post="875448" timestamp="1287170689"]
Griffin vs White...The systems dictated the passing numbers.

Take a look again, both guys completed roughly 65% of thier passes! Just so happens Griffin plays in Briles system which requires him to throw more than White did under Rodriguez. If Griffin were at Michigan right now he would be throwing less and running more, especially if he had a guy like Slaton in the backfield as White did (more option football).
[/quote]

Completing 65 percent of you passes when throwing 13 a game is not near as impressive as completing 65 percent of your passes when throwing it 25 times a game. Sorry. Pat White took 30 minutes to get a pass off. They set the pass up with the run. Robert Griffin is a pass first QB. He set the NCAA record for most passes to start a career without an INT. They are just different. Fact.

[quote name="bigred360" post="874625" timestamp="1287076256"]
[quote author=basketball25 link=topic=74394.msg874442#msg874442 date=1287063303]
All i am saying  is he needs to realize that he's a freshman and he prob won't get the opportunity to play as a true freshman and he prob won't play as a sophmore, get in the weight room  get faster, bigger, and stronger and win the battle at the qb position but kids these days want everything handed to them and don't want to work for it i mean he's been the best athlete in his school all his career now he's in college and there are athletes just like him and its a little bit tougher for him now not just being the best!!!!Kids gotta learn to work hard , I mean nothing against the kid he's a heck of a athlete, I just don't see why all these kids come home...
[/quote]

Dude you can't generalize this situation. Every situation is different and I have no inside information on this young man. But, he is a true freshman playing behind a stud sophome. So, what the sophomore is going to quit lifting weights, quit running and doing things to get better. No, he is going to work his butt off too because they are at a high major university. If this kid was a junior or senior I'd probably agree with what you stated but that isn't the case here.

[/quote]I'm tired of all these excuses some of you guys keep making for this kids reason for leaving WV . If the guy doesn't want to stay and compete for the starting job, then I wouldn't want him on my team to begin with. He knew when he signed with them that there would be a battle for the starting QB position. Heck, there's a battle for that position at most programs. It just shows a lack of character and drive that you must posess to play that position. If he wanted it handed to him, he should have considered a different school who promised him everything, including no competition whatsoever. (Lamar) (Bevil) LOL!!!

[quote name="Raiders99LHS80" post="876580" timestamp="1287201480"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=74394.msg876517#msg876517 date=1287200225]
What was the Lamar Bevil comment about? Are you saying they had no competition for the job?
[/quote]Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. And if there was any competition, it couldn't even beat him out, hence the NO competition comment.
[/quote]
You rag on Johnson and say that he didn't want to compete.  Then turn around and imply that Bevil had the job handed to him.  Then to make sure you cover all of your bases you say for Bevil to WIN the job there must not have been any competition (talent) on the team.  From the people I know all of the talk last summer was about the kid from West Texas A&M being the guy to beat out for the job.  So your statement about Bevil being handed the QB job at Lamar is not true. 

For you and all of the others that are on Bevil's case EVERY QB has bad games.  Last year Super Bowl MVP had 3 ints last week and 2 in the loss to Atlanta.

I don't think Bevil was given the job at all. He is simply the best option IMO. Prewitt is no where ready to play FCS football yet as a freshman. Tatum did not look good at all in the spring game and the fall scrimmages that I saw. Smith made several nice plays in the first scrimmage I saw but he got hurt right after that. Bevil has a lot to work on don't get me wrong. He is very inaccurate throwing on the run. Needs to learn to check down. And he needs to learn to run occasionally and not force it. But still with all those weaknesses he is our best option at qb and he proved that all through the spring and fall. Wish we had a better option but he won the job fair and square.

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="876841" timestamp="1287231488"]
[quote author=Raiders99LHS80 link=topic=74394.msg876580#msg876580 date=1287201480]
What was the Lamar Bevil comment about? Are you saying they had no competition for the job?
[/quote]Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. And if there was any competition, it couldn't even beat him out, hence the NO competition comment.
[/quote]
You rag on Johnson and say that he didn't want to compete.  Then turn around and imply that Bevil had the job handed to him.  Then to make sure you cover all of your bases you say for Bevil to WIN the job there must not have been any competition (talent) on the team.  From the people I know all of the talk last summer was about the kid from West Texas A&M being the guy to beat out for the job.  So your statement about Bevil being handed the QB job at Lamar is not true. 

For you and all of the others that are on Bevil's case EVERY QB has bad games.  Last year Super Bowl MVP had 3 ints last week and 2 in the loss to Atlanta.
[/quote]

It would be nice if he had more good games than bad games.

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="876841" timestamp="1287231488"]
[quote author=Raiders99LHS80 link=topic=74394.msg876580#msg876580 date=1287201480]
[/quote]

[/quote]hey texan where are the comments about ur boy bevil being so good at? why aren't you coming to his defense now? lol ur funny!

[quote name="Raiders99LHS80" post="877927" timestamp="1287286924"]
[quote author=Texantagonise link=topic=74394.msg876841#msg876841 date=1287231488]
[/quote]

[/quote]hey texan where are the comments about ur boy bevil being so good at? why aren't you coming to his defense now? lol ur funny!
[/quote]

McNeese and SE La - I truly hate you!  How could you let Bevil throw for 400 yards?!!!  Now, I will have to put up with him as our starter for another year and 1/2!  You disgust me!!

[quote name="Raiders99LHS80" post="877927" timestamp="1287286924"]
[quote author=Texantagonise link=topic=74394.msg876841#msg876841 date=1287231488]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Never said Bevil was my "BOY". I just didn't want to let a stupid statement go unchecked.  And the statement about Bevil being handed the job was stupid. Here's your sign.  Now I'm REALLY Funny!!

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="877948" timestamp="1287287913"]
[quote author=Raiders99LHS80 link=topic=74394.msg877927#msg877927 date=1287286924]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Never said Bevil was my "BOY". I just didn't want to let a stupid statement go unchecked.  And the statement about Bevil being handed the job was stupid. Here's your sign.  Now I'm REALLY Funny!!
[/quote]and are you seriously comparing the play of a superbowl mvp to that of bevil? lol see, you are funny, i could read your stuff in the comic section! lol.

[quote name="Raiders99LHS80" post="877965" timestamp="1287288517"]
[quote author=Texantagonise link=topic=74394.msg877948#msg877948 date=1287287913]
[quote author=Raiders99LHS80 link=topic=74394.msg877927#msg877927 date=1287286924]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]and are you seriously comparing the play of a superbowl mvp to that of bevil? lol see, you are funny, i could read your stuff in the comic section! lol.
[/quote]
There you go still cant read.  NEVER compared just said that even the BEST have bad games.  If your still having problems with comprehension I can draw you a picture since the funnies are what you understand.

[quote name="Raiders99LHS80" post="877965" timestamp="1287288517"]
[quote author=Texantagonise link=topic=74394.msg877948#msg877948 date=1287287913]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm liking this  Raider guy.  I could care less if his home is mobile and his car is held together with bondo and duct tape.  He's a pot stirrer, and I like that!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder