Dayton after 3 district games. What do you think?

Here are some stats for Dayton in their three district appearances(chron.com):

The Broncos are averaging 55 points per game on offense and allowing 7.7 ppg (2 shut outs).

OFFENSE: The team averages 415 yards per game, 187 rushing and 227 through the air.  Herrera has completed almost 80% of his passes so far (39/51). 

DEFENSE: The team allows 187 yards per game, 75 rushing and 107 passing.  Opposing teams completion percentage is approximately 43%.  The defense is averaging 3 interceptions per game. And forces an average of 4 fumbles per game.

Special Teams: Juan Carranco
The team averages 2.7  punts per game that average around 40 yards per punt.
PAT: 19 of 20 (BH blocked one)
Field Goals:  3/3 at 29, 37, and 40 yards.

The team is now 3-3 and no longer has a losing record.

So, what do you think?  What areas would you like to see improved upon? Don't shoot me if some of the stats are wrong, the chronicle is not always the most reliable source. Also remember that the stats are for DISTRICT GAMES ONLY.

Two of those wins are over probable playoff teams.
Even better than this, since district...

Dayton vs Barbers Hill
FR Dayton 20 BH 0
JV Dayton 28 BH 0
VAr Dayton 54 BH 0

Dayton vs Galena Park
FR Dayton 28 Galena Park 7
JV Dayton 53 Galena Park 13
Var Dayton 53 Galena Park 23

Dayton vs Baytown Lee
FR Dayton 30 Lee 0
JV Dayton 43 Lee 0
Var Dayton 59 Lee 0
TOTAL
Dayton 368 Opponent 43  That is totally amazing!  Add to that, the 8th grade Ponies are regularly posting 50 points in 8 minute quarters with a running clock in the 2nd half.  Dayton easily has the best football program top to bottom east of Houston.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="870496" timestamp="1286651590"]
I've been really impressed with El Campo.  (even though they are south of Houston)
[/quote] Whats that got to do with Dayton at this moment?

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="870513" timestamp="1286653652"]
I was stating that because the comment was made about Dayton being the best team east of Houston.  Just commenting that El Campo looks legit this year.  (even if they arnt east)
[/quote]

They played us pretty tough last year.  Ricebirds I think.  They were a scrappy team the last time I saw them play.

Broncos are looking better even though the competetion level has dropped off some (trublu is right). You can still tell that there has been some offensive improvements. I do believe they will win district unless we have some big mental lapse (or it rains like hell) in the Crosby game.

Now I'm a die-hard Bronco fan, but I still don't think this team has enough to go past the second round. The reason I say that is it looks like we have a good chance of meeting up with Brenham in the 2nd round.(As long as we both win our districts and the first round games  ;)) And while we played them tough last year, I believe Brenham has a better team than last year and the Broncos have about the same team. A little better defense, but a more inconsistent offense.

The Bronco offense relys on the big play too much. Brenham will take that away. Unless our passing game improves to where we could convert 3rd & 7 or 3rd & 8 at least 50% of the time, I don't see the Broncos moving the ball too well against a quick, stout defense. Just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="870782" timestamp="1286668284"]
Broncos are looking better even though the competetion level has dropped off some (trublu is right). You can still tell that there has been some offensive improvements. I do believe they will win district unless we have some big mental lapse (or it rains like heck) in the Crosby game.

Now I'm a die-hard Bronco fan, but I still don't think this team has enough to go past the second round. The reason I say that is it looks like we have a good chance of meeting up with Brenham in the 2nd round.(As long as we both win our districts and the first round games  ;)) And while we played them tough last year, I believe Brenham has a better team than last year and the Broncos have about the same team. A little better defense, but a more inconsistent offense.

The Bronco offense relys on the big play too much. Brenham will take that away. Unless our passing game improves to where we could convert 3rd & 7 or 3rd & 8 at least 50% of the time, I don't see the Broncos moving the ball too well against a quick, stout defense. Just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong.
[/quote]

One thing the Bronco offense is missing is the electric big play guy...i.e...dugat or ploch...but I think that as the season progresses you will see Jakari Delasbour start making more and more big plays during crunch time. (Dont forget Baldwin and Fowler) We will see as the season progresses.  No need to crown Brenham just yet, the Broncos might surprise some people if that game happens.  Then again, I haven't seen Brenham play yet so it's tough to make a comparison for this year.

I haven't seen Brenham either this year. Just going off scores and stats. They just present some major matchup problems for us. The one weakness of our defense is against the pass. Although it's improved, it's still the weakest part of a pretty darn good defense. Their strength is the pass. All different types of passes. Not just the quick out to a bubble screen on the sideline. But they also run well and mix it up well.

You're right about the big play makers. JD is turning out to be what we all thought he would. Fowler and Baldwin are great too. The problem is though, that Brenham will take most of the big plays away. They have seen those plays for two years now. To beat a team like Brenham I believe you're gonna have to have a ball control type offense and grind out some long drives to keep Schlottman off the field. I just don't see us outscoring them in a shootout type game.

As always, the Broncos match up better with a running team. That's why we were able to beat a real tough El Campo team last year. That and the 40 whatever yard field goal by a freshman kicker.  ;D
Sulphur Springs, Friendswood, Lake Travis, style teams always give us trouble. Course they give alot of people trouble. I've heard coach Stewart say that teaching pass defense to kids is one of the toughest things about coaching. Kids in space...tough challenge. That's what it's gonna take though. IMO

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="870813" timestamp="1286670609"]

Sulphur Springs, Friendswood, Lake Travis, style teams always give us trouble. Course they give alot of people trouble. [b]I've heard coach Stewart say that teaching pass defense to kids is one of the toughest things about coaching. Kids in space...tough challenge.[/b] That's what it's gonna take though. IMO

[/quote]

I agree..... and when you really think of it, not too many teams in the state can stop a good passing attack when the QB has time to throw. Now if they're able to get major pressure, of course they can but as far as a secondary shutting a good passing offense down, you just don't see it much.

Oh also, we've seen Brenham's plays for 2 years as well. I do believe this is Brenham's best team thus far, especially on D, but our familiarity with them is one thing that makes me a little more comfortable with the match up....... IF we make it to a match up with Brenham. One at a time.

I can't remember in recent history when a Bronco team had 5 interception in one game and that was against a quality GP team against BH we had two or three and last night one or two.  Me personally I'm very impressed with our pass defense this year. Last year when we played Brenham I thought we would be over matched ,but when the game started it was obvious that we were just as good if not better than they were and I think this year will be the same its just a shame both teams have to meet up early.  Over all and with the kicking game we bring to the table I believe this years Bronco's is poised for another deep run no matter who gets in the way ! GO BRONCO'S ~

Good post Jayhawk and I agree. Dayton and Brenham are probably the two best 4a teams in the region and have been for the last 3 years running. At least in Division II anyway. Shame to see one of us go home early. Anything can happen in a game though so thats why we play them. Last year we were doing well until the injury bug hit us in the second half and then Brenham took over. The way I see it is that either team can win this one and Dayton always gets stronger as the season moves on and peeks at playoff time. Always Believe. Go Broncos.... 

[quote name="jayhawk" post="870931" timestamp="1286677550"]
I can't remember in recent history when a Bronco team had 5 interception in one game and that was against a quality GP team against BH we had two or three and last night one or two.  Me personally I'm very impressed with our pass defense this year. Last year when we played Brenham I thought we would be over matched ,but when the game started it was obvious that we were just as good if not better than they were and I think this year will be the same its just a shame both teams have to meet up early.  Over all and with the kicking game we bring to the table I believe this years Bronco's is poised for another deep run no matter who gets in the way ! GO BRONCO'S ~
[/quote]
  I agree the pass defense looks better than in the past years. The DBs are playing the ball not just following the receivers around the field. The only thing is the front three have to get more penetration and pressure on the QB. Even in the GP game the QB had to much time to throw the ball. The D made an adjustment at half time and started putting some pressure sendind a LB at times. The teams that throw the ball leave alot of time on the clock and if you can control the game on the ground when you have a lead you can keep the other offense limited.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="871236" timestamp="1286723751"]
[quote author=jayhawk link=topic=74206.msg870931#msg870931 date=1286677550]
[/quote]
 I agree the pass defense looks better than in the past years. The DBs are playing the ball not just following the receivers around the field. The only thing is the front three have to get more penetration and pressure on the QB. Even in the GP game the QB had to much time to throw the ball. The D made an adjustment at half time and started putting some pressure sendind a LB at times. The teams that throw the ball leave alot of time on the clock and if you can control the game on the ground when you have a lead you can keep the other offense limited.
[/quote]

I think that the secondary has improved quite a bit.  As the year progresses and they get better and better, I think it will allow the the defensive front a little more time to disrupt the passer.  I think that the crosby game will be very telling.  But first, I want to see the team shutout GCM and North Forest.  I really do think that this team is one of Dayton's better teams as a whole.  I know that we don't have any all-americans on the team this year, but I will take 22 hard nosed players that never give up over a "superstar" any day.  Keep working guys.

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="871323" timestamp="1286734880"]
[quote author=BRONX ROX link=topic=74206.msg871236#msg871236 date=1286723751]
[quote author=jayhawk link=topic=74206.msg870931#msg870931 date=1286677550]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I think that the secondary has improved quite a bit.  As the year progresses and they get better and better, I think it will allow the the defensive front a little more time to disrupt the passer.  I think that the crosby game will be very telling.  But first, I want to see the team shutout GCM and North Forest.  I really do think that this team is one of Dayton's better teams as a whole.  I know that we don't have any all-americans on the team this year, but I will take 22 hard nosed players that never give up over a "superstar" any day.  Keep working guys.
[/quote][b] I really do think that this team is one of Dayton's better teams as a whole.  I know that we don't have any all-americans on the team this year, but I will take 22 hard nosed players that never give up over a "superstar" any day.  Keep working guys.[/b]<-- That is exactly what I think ;)

Agree.  As long as they stay humble and don't get the big head they should be in good shape.  Hard work pays off. If they keep outworking their opponents during the week, it will pay dividends on Friday night.  I hope they take care of business the next two fridays and then unleash the stampede when crosby comes to town.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298