I finally figured out why some teams will never win!!! The parents!!!!

SFAJACK02

[quote name="bleed orange" post="845177" timestamp="1284258055"]
Have you guys not heard a word I have said? This thread is not about the coaches but the parents and their kids. I honestly think that most parents think their child is college material and they did not prepare to pay for college so they are grasping for straws. Do you realize how many kids from the golden triangle get a college scholarship? The percentage of kids in athletics compared to the kids who actually play at the next level is very low. We live in a "Give every kid a ribbon society".  Wake up people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

No there are coaches that suck too. But, this thread can go on for months and no one will agree.  These kind of threads Stink     

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bleed orange" post="845181" timestamp="1284258190"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=72842.msg845173#msg845173 date=1284257916]
[quote author=magnus1on1 link=topic=72842.msg845041#msg845041 date=1284253804]
[quote author=Sloe link=topic=72842.msg845030#msg845030 date=1284253514]
[quote author=magnus1on1 link=topic=72842.msg844958#msg844958 date=1284250524]
[quote author=WTB link=topic=72842.msg844941#msg844941 date=1284249985]
Knute Rockne got to recruit his player but he only played the best.
[/quote]

Some of his best could have been his [b]weakest at one point.. [/b] ;)
[/quote]but if they do the work, then they will rise to the top. They will be one of the 11. If not join the BAND and root and wish.
[/quote]

If the coaches will take time and work with them your right they could rise to the top with hard work...
[/quote]

This is the problem, 99% of parents believe that their child is this kind of kid. Hard work can payoff for some, others will never have the athletic ability that others do. Is the fact that they just do not have athletic ability the coaches fault? Can a coach make a child who is 5'8" and runs a 5.5 40, grow 6 inches or increase his 40 by a second? Yes, if the kid works hard and does everything ask of him he might increase his speed to a 5.2, but parents who think that a coach can make Reggie Bush out of Beaver Cleaver are not in touch with reality... hard work or not, for some, it just won't happen.

I'm not tryng to offend anyone, but you have to be realistic.
[/quote]
Right on Gas.
[/quote]try coaching High school football in Nebraska,lol

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="845178" timestamp="1284258080"]
Like I said, this thread can go on for months and no one will agree.  These kind of threads ::)  ???  :-\  :'(
[/quote]

Funny, but you are right. ;D ;D

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="bleed orange" post="845177" timestamp="1284258055"]
Have you guys not heard a word I have said? This thread is not about the coaches but the parents and their kids. I honestly think that most parents think their child is college material and they did not prepare to pay for college so they are grasping for straws. Do you realize how many kids from the golden triangle get a college scholarship? The percentage of kids in athletics compared to the kids who actually play at the next level is very low. We live in a "Give every kid a ribbon society".  Wake up people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Coach pls do not talk down to us to begin with. Second my kids do not need a scholarship bc we have it covered  and  no aid needed. Easy bc we are not your seventh grade b team.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="beechnut" post="845187" timestamp="1284258412"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=72842.msg845177#msg845177 date=1284258055]
[/quote]

Coach pls do not talk down to us to begin with. Second my kids do not need a scholarship bc we have it covered. Easy bc we are not your seventh grade b team. This is not gym class Coach and we know how great you were but lets keep it today not thirty years ago.
[/quote]
Wow, I am not a coach and please learn how to spell. If it was 30 years ago we would not be having this discussion.  ;D ;D You have kids and you talk like that? That explains alot.

Guest jhamilton
If the only thing that you can call me out on is my spelling on a sports forum life is good. Why dont you come over and play you in a game of scramble. Darts, pool or horeshoes? 8)

[quote name="beechnut" post="845100" timestamp="1284255836"]
Essexn that is total BS of a story.  How do you know there are twice as many parents that are bad as coaches? Have you counted them? Does that same plot not happen in the buisiness world? If you are a coach stop whinning or get out of it. Dont label all parents bad bc they dont size up to a football coaches expectations.
[/quote]
First of all, I'm not a coach. I AM a parent of a son that DID decide to march in the band when he realized he wasn't that good at football. For the record , I am as proud of him as the guys on here that are proud of their kids that play football. I was young when the incident described took place, but I heard personally the father in question bragging that he "got him fired". It is just one example (anecdotal of course, and the names were changed to protect the innocent) of what can happen. I didn't suggest that it is what "always" happens, merely that it "can" happen. As for counting them--- it is simple statistical probability. There are a lot more parents of football players than there are coaches of football players. If there were an equally bad percentage of coaches and parents, there would be more than twice as many bad parents as bad coaches. By saying twice as many I actually suggested that the percentage of bad parents is lower than that of bad coaches. I also stated that there were bad coaches that should be replaced (replacing a bad coach is different than replacing a good coach that doesnt play your son). Further more, I was speaking of parents that specifically don't know more than the coach about the sport in question but think they do and (though I probably didn't word it or illustrate it well) are not particularly objective regarding their childs ability. I didnt label all parents bad, just the ones that met that criteria. Finally, nothing in my post suggested that bad coaches (read bosses) etc. doesn't happen anywhere else in society.

first of all, if you are a high school coach, and coach just to win games, you are in the wrong profession.  high school coaches are an extension of parents and should see to it that they mentor to every kid they coach.  now, we coaches can't please everyone and play everybody.  but i have seen coaches show favoritism and the end result makes the whole team lose.  i know one kid last year, best QB of the team, but because the coach liked someone else, the team didn't go as far as they could have.  it was obvious who the best QB was.  as a coach, he/she has the right to play who he/she sees fit but let's not act like these coaches have it all figured out.  some of them are as bad as the parent(s).

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="beechnut" post="845197" timestamp="1284259009"]
If the only thing that you can call me out on is my spelling on a sports forum life is good. Why dont you come over and play you in a game of scramble. Darts, pool or horeshoes? 8)
[/quote]
8) How about some washers or maybe foosball. Will play you in any of the above.  Good post. ;D ;D

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="bleed orange" post="845205" timestamp="1284259267"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=72842.msg845197#msg845197 date=1284259009]
[/quote]
8) How about some washers or maybe foosball. Will play you in any of the above.  Good post. ;D ;D
[/quote]

No bc you would smoke me. Could make you some good ribs on the pit.  ;D

I hope this is on point...

Coaching is like any other job or profession - there are good ones and bad ones.  The best ones treat all kids fairly.  (And fairly does not mean equally.)  What works in getting through to one kid may not work for another.  Good coaches (and teachers) determine what works best for each player or student.  Some may need tough love (yelling, etc.) and others may perform just as well by treating them with encouragement and a softer touch.  As a parent, if my kid is treated fairly, then I am going to remain hands-off with coaches at school.  End of story.  

On another note in this thread, we are talking about high school sports, not little league or pop warner.  We ain't talking about orange slices and pizza parties after every game.  Not everyone deserves to play and get a trophy.  The best will play and the coach determines who the best are.  This is subjective and will not always be the same across the board.  Middle school and high school athletics should be a part of the process of letting your kid grow up and learning to deal with people that may not always think they are the greatest and always kiss their butt.  Some of the parental hand-holding that still goes on at the varsity level nowadays is a joke and a parent that thinks they are 'helping' their kid by running to the coach everytime something doesn't go their way is stunting your kid's development.  Let them grow up.

And, for the record, I taught for several years and coached varsity athletics as well.  I am not holding myself to be an expert, but just giving my perspective.  

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="845217" timestamp="1284259900"]

Coaching is like any other job or profession - there are good ones and bad ones.  The best ones treat all kids fairly.  (And fairly does not mean equally.)  What works in getting through to one kid may not work for another.  Good coaches (and teachers) determine what works best for each player or student.  Some may need tough love (yelling, etc.) and others may perform just as well by treating them with encouragement and a softer touch.  As a parent, if my kid is treated fairly, then I am going to remain hands-off with coaches at school.  End of story.  

On another note in this thread, we are talking about high school sports, not little league or pop warner.  We ain't talking about orange slices and pizza parties after every game.  Not everyone deserves to play and get a trophy.  The best will play and the coach determines who the best are.  This is subjective and will not always be the same across the board.  Middle school and high school athletics should be a part of the process of letting your kid grow up and learning to deal with people that may not always think they are the greatest and always kiss their butt.  Some of the parental hand-holding that still goes on at the varsity level nowadays is a joke and a parent that thinks they are 'helping' their kid by running to the coach everytime something doesn't go their way is stunting your kid's development.  Let them grow up.

And, for the record, I taught for several years and coached varsity athletics as well.  I am not holding myself to be an expert, but just giving my perspective.  
[/quote]

Good Post.

Guest bleed orange
I agree there are bad coaches and good ones but there are also bad bosses and good ones. That is life, deal with it. If you want to survive you have to do what it takes.  There was a first year coach at (Not going to name the school) who told his head coach he was going to quit if he did not get moved up to the varsity level. This was his second year. I would have told him to hit the road because he has not paid his dues yet. That is the society we live in today. It is all about paying your dues. Plain and simple. Again this thread is not about "COACHES" but the parents and their kids.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="ispeakjive" post="845217" timestamp="1284259900"]

[/quote]

Good post.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="beechnut" post="845215" timestamp="1284259834"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=72842.msg845205#msg845205 date=1284259267]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=72842.msg845197#msg845197 date=1284259009]
[/quote]
[/quote]

No bc you would smoke me. Could make you some good ribs on the pit.  ;D
[/quote]
Awesome, another good post. Could make you some mean rice and gravey and gumbo. LOL!!!!! You would beat me on the ribs. ;D ;D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="844547" timestamp="1284224319"]
Any thoughts!! If you kid is not good he SHOULD be benched no questions. Let the coaches coach!!!
[/quote]

Why did it take you that long? ;D ;D ;D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="liltex" post="845246" timestamp="1284261613"]
If kids don't learn the value of hard work,dedication and learn to compete early in life then after graduation do you wanna put them on a military battlefield :o
[/quote]
Military is just what they need.

Guest jhamilton
Over our way there were three kids this week that were benched last night bc they missed a practice. They were not bench warmers either and respect a HC that is not fearful of parents. A HC that does not cow down to parents or admin folks walk on water in my book.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="beechnut" post="845271" timestamp="1284262391"]
Over our way there were three kids this week that were benched last night bc they missed a practice. They were not bench warmers either and respect a HC that is not fearful of parents. A HC that does not cow down to parents or admin folks walk on water in my book.
[/quote]
Good post.

[quote name="magnus1on1" post="844880" timestamp="1284246063"]
[quote author=WTB link=topic=72842.msg844876#msg844876 date=1284245410]
Im sure your trained eye knows what to look for too. You should probably start coaching then and fix these schools with all these "coaching problems" that you know all about.
[/quote]

lol... I'm not bashing any coach... just stating that different kids respond to different coaching... example.. yelling, screaming, cursing, some kids respond others don't!!!
[/quote]for the ones that cant take it and still want to be active on friday night the band needs kids also

I'll offer my perspective from the various "hats" I have worn in life...

As a parent, I have let my children be individuals, not carbon copies of me (thank God!  Iwas 125 lbs., soaking wet, in high school as a senior...combined with Coke bottle glasses and buck teeth, that made for an interesting picture.)  My oldest, now an accountant, played high school football from 8th grade to 10th grade.  HE decided that he could make a greater contribution to the team by being off of it and letting someone with more ability, but a lower grade classification, take the spot he was occupying.  My contribution while he played was to be the loudest supporter for the "D" line, to the point where I gave his coaches a chuckle on game films. My middle son lettered in baseball his junior and senior year.  Every season began with the same question..."you still wanna play?"  My daughter is not interested in sports. 

As a coach (volunteer Pop Warner and Little League) I have had the opportunity to coach great little guys that became fine young men.  A couple of the ones I coached are in D-1 schools, one is at Lamar University, and one is in the NFL.  None of them are there because I coached them.  They are there because you had a wonderful combination of parents who worked in conjunction with the coaches, from little kid to high school.  Parents that KNEW the coaches job was to coach, and their job was to parent.  Parents who led by example.  Coaches are there to win the games (and occasionally, teach history).  They can have the most knowledgeable history students, but the school faithful demand wins.  They do scream...they don't have the luxury of a Britney Spears flesh toned microphone that can make them heard over the [size=14pt]LOUDNESS[/size] of a typical game.  They have to yell instructions to kids who are thinking about the date after the game with that hot cheerleader (or a reasonable approximation thereof).  No wins?  Coaches get fired...No wins and lousy ADs?  Coaches get fired faster...Coaches are handed a bunch of kids, and each skills group is handled by an assistant.  With a large group of kids, there is no time to be "individual"..a coaching style will be a coaching style.  As a parent you have to accept the loudness and the brusqueness of a coach...physical assault?  Okay, no, but being loud and obnoxious? 

In my third hat, as a clergyman who works with youth, I get to see the kids.  Not all of them are angels, but by and large, they are good kids.  I can tell though, when kids have "freinds" instead of parents.  These kids have no limits.  I can also tell when kids feel they are being used to relive "dad's glory days".  The package is sold as a "benefit" for the kid, but they realize they are being used.  The hardest part of this is when the kid graduates, because their worth is no longer evident to glory day parents.

Pretty much, parents can't rely on coaches to be their kid's "buddy".  They are there to coach a team, not build lasting freindships into the future.  And parents, if you want to see the face of "ugly parenting"...turn on ESPN anytime Craig James is on... 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124