The Flexbone......

SFA85

With the current perversion of Spread offenses, it was such a delight to watch the Naval Academy go toe to toe with Maryland.  They and AFA are always 15-50 less in body weight than their opponents but win at least 7 games per year and lately, they've given Notre Dame all they can stand.  Of course, those young men @the Service Academies are cut from a different cloth than their big school counterparts......

[quote name="scooter!" post="840662" timestamp="1283816179"]
what channel?
[/quote]

It was on ESPN.  Navy had it 4th and goal on the 2, and they ran left on a QB keeper and got stoned.  They were running to the right side all night.  Also, they missed a FG and had 2 fumbles in the redzone......

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="841625" timestamp="1283913044"]
Why don't many HS teams run the flexbone? Most running teams I see use the Slot-T or the split back veer. Of course there is Jasper with the Triple I but we are not going to get into that here.
[/quote]

Barbers Hill is supposed to run the flexbone(the coach they bought won a state title with it).  It's great until you face a disciplined team that is bigger and faster, the you get your flexbone offense blown up.  If you want to see it happen, check out the Dayton vs BH game in about a month.

If they are bigger, faster, and more disciplined than you, you are probably going to lose no matter what you run. The flexbone(or any option) works best when the system has been ran for a long time and the QB has worked at it and can read it well. Most HS teams I've seen run it don't read it and don't change the plays at the line. Both important.

Barbers Hill is supposed to run the flexbone(the coach they bought won a state title with it).  It's great until you face a disciplined team that is bigger and faster, the you get your flexbone offense blown up.  If you want to see it happen, check out the Dayton vs BH game in about a month.
[/quote]

[quote name="Hotrodg" post="841994" timestamp="1283975377"]
I don't understand the point you are trying to make with "perversion of spread offenses"  could you elaborate?
[/quote]

Yes, the Spread is a perversion.  Big olinemen going backward on the snap.  No 1,000 yard rushers and when they do get the ball, they go sideways before going forward.  Highschool games are now 3+ hours if 2 spread teams are playing........

Plus, the Spread O is personnel centric vs. system centric......

The original concept of the spread offense was to "spread" the defense out and run the ball and use the passing game to compliment the running game. My son coaches at Frisco Liberty and they, as well as other teams that run the spread, will have backs with well over 1000 yards. In fact they have a back that has signed with Boise State (they run the spread very well). Offensive lineman are very good at zone blocking as well as pass protection. In my years as a defensive coordiator, it was difficult to defend a spread team because of the "space" that was created by the multiple spread formations.

The flexbone is a variation of the wishbone with the multiple blocking schemes that go along with it. Back in the days when we were in 3A, Liberty was very good at running this offense. They were difficult to stop because they were well coached (Jeff Stewart - now at Dayton) and they had good players that really got after it. C.E. King has had success running what you call the flexbone. The offense uses the veer blocking scheme as well as the midline blocking scheme. The play-action is a very good weapon.

Bottom line in football - coach what you know and tweak it to fit your players.

[quote name="Coach Byrd" post="842229" timestamp="1283999809"]
The original concept of the spread offense was to "spread" the defense out and run the ball and use the passing game to compliment the running game. My son coaches at Frisco Liberty and they, as well as other teams that run the spread, will have backs with well over 1000 yards. In fact they have a back that has signed with Boise State (they run the spread very well). Offensive lineman are very good at zone blocking as well as pass protection. In my years as a defensive coordiator, it was difficult to defend a spread team because of the "space" that was created by the multiple spread formations.

The flexbone is a variation of the wishbone with the multiple blocking schemes that go along with it. Back in the days when we were in 3A, Liberty was very good at running this offense. They were difficult to stop because they were well coached (Jeff Stewart - now at Dayton) and they had good players that really got after it. C.E. King has had success running what you call the flexbone. The offense uses the veer blocking scheme as well as the midline blocking scheme. The play-action is a very good weapon.

Bottom line in football - coach what you know and tweak it to fit your players.
[/quote]

I keep forgetting they's 2 versions of the Spread.  The Texas Tech version which is pass heavy and the 2 back shotgun look which mirrors the old Bill Yoeman Veer but with zone blocking.....

The flexbone or flex option offense is the result of taking wishbone offensive principles and putting them in a manipulated spread formation. The coach at G Tech is the mastermind behind it. He was the OC with June Jones at Haiwii and they ran the Run-n-Shoot, the grandfather of the spread offense. He got hired as the head coach at Georgia Southern and decided to take the slots and move them behind the tackles, which created the run option to the pass oriented formation. Flexbone differs from slot t because when the slot t offense breaks the huddle everyone knows who is getting the ball in those series of fakes, in the flex option it could be one of three guys on every play. The QB is very important because his read of the defense determines who gets the ball most plays after the balls is snapped. Coach Johnson of G Tech has taken this system to Georgia Southern, Navy, and now G Tech and won at every stop. The offense is very hard to defend if you have a short amount of time prepare.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder