WO-S at Nederland/WOS WINS 40-19!!!!!

486 yards Nederland's defense gave up!!    OUCH!!!!

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="833170" timestamp="1283010896"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=72002.msg832983#msg832983 date=1282975355]
What was the total yardage given up by Nederland's defense?
[/quote]

This is what I turned in this morning after entering data in computer stat program I use.

wos  291 rush  195 pass     486 total
ned  125 rush    41 pass     166 total
[/quote]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mcdonajp" post="833230" timestamp="1283015211"]
WO-S had several big plays for TD's and plays that got them out of long yardage (3rd & 20+ yds) for 1st downs.  Had Nederland stopped them on some of these maybe the score would have been a little closer but the end result still the same.  I thought Raine's did pretty good considering very little practice time and his first start against such a good/quick defense.  He will continue to improve through the season and only get better over the next couple years.  Next couple years will be exciting to watch.
[/quote]

I only remember one 3rd and 20+ yard conversion.

WO-S looked impressive, at times on both sides of the ball. The BIG PLAY(S) killed the Dogs. When the special teams play for WO-S improve, they'll be just fine. Nederland needs to take a much closer look at themselves or it's going to be a L O N G season. If WO-S hadn't played so poorly on kick-offs, the Dogs wouldn’t have even threatened. Just one (1) sustained drive, WOW! Best of luck t both teams moving forward!  :)

[quote name="GCMPats" post="833251" timestamp="1283016590"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=72002.msg833244#msg833244 date=1283016074]
Anyone else starting to slowly get tired of the spread? I mean yes it can get big plays but I liked it when we pounded it out and play action passes. This offense isn't impressing me.
[/quote]

I think the spread is effective if you are able to "recruit" the type of players necessary to run it correctly.

However, this is HIGH SCHOOL and coaches need to be more willing to "dance with the one that brung 'em".  All too often they get caught up in fads and what the "successful" programs are doing. It's quite possible that a high school could change it's offensive (and defensive) scheme yearly based on the kids they have in their program. (IMO)
[/quote]
Dang GCM, did you live in Lumberton when Fuller was coaching? LOL

I AM surprised at the 47 yards passing from Nederland since they have depended on it so much over the last few years.

I really think Neumann and his staff will get this team in the right direction . .  but what i think some are forgetting is Nederland lost alot of talent last year .. only big probelm we had was Bellow getting knocked out for the year in the first game .. we could'nt over come that ... offensively we could'nt muster up enough sustained drives to keep the defense off the field  .. and the same thing is gonna happen this year if Big Ned don't get this offeense in gear .. i'm not being negative about this team in anyway ..I'm a Bulldog lover forever  .. always have been  .. but we are in for another long season if things don't start going in the right direction soon .. come on Dogs and pull together  ..GO DOGS! 

I can still remember Bellow in his first varsity action when Sampere went down... there is no substitute for experience at the QB position.  By the time Bellow got to see varsity game speed a coupla times, he was money, even as a sophomore.  That's going to happen for Raines, but it's not going to happen first game out the blocks, and it sure isn't going to happen against WO-S.  Give the kid a little time and we got another gem. I will eat my shoe if Nederland is battling Vidor for the cellar... folks thought the same thing last year. 

I just wish our defense would tackle better. It's what has killed our defenses for the past few years. I know players can break tackles and I give them credit when they do, but when you have them dead to rights and just bump them with a shoulder instead of wrapping up their feet, it's difficult to watch. Too many good runners can bounce off tackles like that and WOS did just that. 3rd down and long also is a thorn. That 3rd and 20+ pass was a beaut, but the QB had no pressure on him. You have to pin your ears back on 3rd and long instead of trying to play prevent.

The spead offense can only be effective if the QB is very athletic (a la Vince Young). I think the offense was vanilla'd up for the new QB, and I understand that to a degree. But since this is still not a district game, you have to let him throw downfield more often, if for no other reason than to back the DBs back off the line.

Yeah, Monday QB, but it's what I think the rest of the week too.

[quote name="baddog" post="833406" timestamp="1283028045"]
I just wish our defense would tackle better. It's what has killed our defenses for the past few years. I know players can break tackles and I give them credit when they do, but when you have them dead to rights and just bump them with a shoulder instead of wrapping up their feet, it's difficult to watch. Too many good runners can bounce off tackles like that and WOS did just that. 3rd down and long also is a thorn. That 3rd and 20+ pass was a beaut, but the QB had no pressure on him. You have to pin your ears back on 3rd and long instead of trying to play prevent.

The spead offense can only be effective if the QB is very athletic (a la Vince Young). I think the offense was vanilla'd up for the new QB, and I understand that to a degree. But since this is still not a district game, you have to let him throw downfield more often, if for no other reason than to back the DBs back off the line.

Yeah, [b]Monday QB[/b], but it's what I think the rest of the week too.
[/quote]

I thought today was Saturday? ;D

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="833244" timestamp="1283016074"]
Anyone else starting to slowly get tired of the spread? I mean yes it can get big plays but I liked it when we pounded it out and play action passes. This offense isn't impressing me.
[/quote]
The Spread Offense is worthless if you can't pass the freakin ball! 42 total yards passing for the game.

[quote name="Penny" post="833334" timestamp="1283022381"]
I can still remember Bellow in his first varsity action when Sampere went down... there is no substitute for experience at the QB position.  By the time Bellow got to see varsity game speed a coupla times, he was money, even as a sophomore.  That's going to happen for Raines, but it's not going to happen first game out the blocks, and it sure isn't going to happen against WO-S.  Give the kid a little time and we got another gem. [color=red]I will eat my shoe if Nederland is battling Vidor for the cellar... folks thought the same thing last year.  [/color] [/quote]

Ned will not be in the cellar with Vidor

[quote name="Ned11str8" post="833612" timestamp="1283034282"]
[quote author=Penny link=topic=72002.msg833334#msg833334 date=1283022381]
I can still remember Bellow in his first varsity action when Sampere went down... there is no substitute for experience at the QB position.  By the time Bellow got to see varsity game speed a coupla times, he was money, even as a sophomore.  That's going to happen for Raines, but it's not going to happen first game out the blocks, and it sure isn't going to happen against WO-S.  Give the kid a little time and we got another gem. [color=red]I will eat my shoe if Nederland is battling Vidor for the cellar... folks thought the same thing last year.  [/color] [/quote]

[/quote]

scooter wasn't saying Ned would be in the cellar, he said they would be fighting with Vidor for the last playoff spot.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="833617" timestamp="1283034469"]
[quote author=Ned11str8 link=topic=72002.msg833612#msg833612 date=1283034282]

[/quote]

scooter wasn't saying Ned would be in the cellar, he said they would be fighting with Vidor for the last playoff spot.
[/quote]

I agree Gas. I think scooter was talking about that last playoff spot. But, I can see where folks thought he could be talking about the cellar.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="833629" timestamp="1283034901"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=72002.msg833617#msg833617 date=1283034469]
[quote author=Ned11str8 link=topic=72002.msg833612#msg833612 date=1283034282]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree Gas. I think scooter was talking about that last playoff spot. But, I can see where folks thought he could be talking about the cellar.
[/quote]

Me too.

Congrats WO-S on a strong showing. I was impressed with the Mustangs overall team speed. Roberts is a stud at WR and the QB Garrett and bevy of runningbacks were too much for the Dogs defense. Kicking game and kickoff coverage were the only areas in which WO-S did not excel. I think the Mustangs will have a very good season and good luck the rest of the way.

As for my Dogs.. Lots to work on. I still hate the spread offense for us. We lost our edge several years back when we switched to it and never got it back. We went from being 1st or 2nd each yr in district to hoping for the 4th spot each year since the change. I think the soph QB will improve as the season goes on. I wish they would have let him throw downfield more. I do like him running the ball and as he gets used to the speed of the game I think he will be a solid QB throwing as well. The Dogs looked great on kickoff returns and kickoff coverage as well. We did not look all that great fielding punts though. Kemp and Benjamin looked good at times running the ball. Sonnier is fun to watch in the Wildcat. Defense played well in spots but got burnt by missed tackles, big plays for TDs and 3rd down conversions. Overall, Nederland looks bigger this season on both lines and has more team speed than last year I think. WO-S was clearly the better team, but I think the Dogs will improve throughout the season and be in the thick of the playoff race.

[quote name="pngpurple4ever" post="833599" timestamp="1283033664"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=72002.msg833244#msg833244 date=1283016074]
[/quote]
The Spread Offense is worthless if you can't pass the freakin ball! 42 total yards passing for the game.
[/quote]

Look, I realize your call sign has PNG in it, but even my buddies from across the tracks can friggin read.  The kid was a SOPHOMORE.  He had his first week of practice taking snaps with the first team... which doesn't really even matter, cuz we can't simulate what WOS showed on Friday night.... speed of the varsity game.  I know this may be tough for you to comprehend... but the kids gonna be good... and he'll be even better out of the spread... but it's gonna take a coupla weeks.  I know it may feel better for you to post that we need to get outta the spread... but the bad news is, the spread was made for QB's like Carson Raines. 

[quote name="bulldogdad55" post="833328" timestamp="1283021671"]
I really think Neumann and his staff will get this team in the right direction . .   but what i think some are forgetting is Nederland lost alot of talent last year .. only big probelm we had was Bellow getting knocked out for the year in the first game .. we could'nt over come that ... offensively we could'nt muster up enough sustained drives to keep the defense off the field  .. and the same thing is gonna happen this year if Big Ned don't get this offeense in gear .. i'm not being negative about this team in anyway ..I'm a Bulldog lover forever  .. always have been  .. but we are in for another long season if things don't start going in the right direction soon .. come on Dogs and pull together  ..GO DOGS! 
[/quote]It is funny how everybody freaks out because WOS beat us 1st game of the season ...Wow 1st game guys ..I have watched this team for the last 3years close ..My son has been a starter for the last 3 years..And I will say this .THE BEST D-FENCE WE HAVE HAD IN THE PAST 3 YEARS FOR SURE..The d-line is young ..but much stronger,faster,bigger CORNERS ARE ALSO VERY YOUNG but they will be fine ..I wonder if the Central & Ozen fans Vidor & PNG fans are saying the things about their football team all the so-called Nederland fans are saying on this site about the bulldogs..1st week guys chill...I will say this ..A  ALL AROUND BETTER TEAM THAN LAST YEAR....

without a doubt basebow and I couldn't agree more...it is not time for panic...I said in a preseason post that this time make take some lumps early due to having so many young players but will only get better as the season rolls on...I stand by that

thought it was a good game overall for the mustangs...specials teams need a little work and need to cut back on the penalties but im sure the coaching staff will address those things...thought nederland looked ok considering their starting qb was out....#4 salenga is the real deal, very quick....it was a good non-district game and i think both teams got to see some strengths and weaknesses they have.  if both teams keep their heads on straight i see good things in the future for the stangs and bulldogs this season.

[quote name="mat" post="834181" timestamp="1283089264"]
I'm not a Bulldog but;

Didn't WOS beat Nederland soundly last year?
Didn't Nederland lose their #1 QB last year in week one?
Didn't Nederland make the playoffs last year?

Be patient

[/quote]

Yes
Yes
Yes

I agree, Neumann said in the paper that they aren't about to go out and slash their wrists over this, I think the Ned fans should follow suit.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="834198" timestamp="1283091112"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=72002.msg834181#msg834181 date=1283089264]
I'm not a Bulldog but;

Be patient

[/quote]

Yes
Yes
Yes

I agree, Neumann said in the paper that they aren't about to go out and slash their wrists over this, I think the Ned fans should follow suit.

[/quote]Why can't the bulldog fans see it this way ???...Man I get so tierd of hearing I have been a bulldog fan forever [glow=red,2,300]BUT....[/glow]

[quote name="BaseBow" post="834203" timestamp="1283091739"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=72002.msg834198#msg834198 date=1283091112]
[quote author=mat link=topic=72002.msg834181#msg834181 date=1283089264]
I'm not a Bulldog but;

Be patient

[/quote]

Yes
Yes
Yes

[/quote]Why can't the bulldog fans see it this way ???...Man I get so tierd of hearing I have been a bulldog fan forever [glow=red,2,300]BUT....[/glow]
[/quote]I think the bulldogs will have a better record than last year because they are better on both sides of the ball .WOS is also better than they were last year ..In saying that.Salenga look good Kemp ran well/// Sonnier was Sonnier played with more heart than most nice one shoe touchdown.  D-line did not look all that bad..Stampley needs to be in at LB I think he would help some on the outside containment. Corners need to learn if you get a flag it is bettr than a touchdown ,,safetys did ok ..Carson did not look bad ...But I sure thought I would see Trevin at QB..But carson will be fine...Good luck Dogs

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami