Games you wish you could re-live as a fan one more time

The other thread about last second wins got me to thinking about the games I watched that I wish I could re-live and recapture that same excitement one more time.
Not games that you did not get to see or were not old enough to see. 
I mean games that you actually did see, and the excitement was such that you want to re-live the game.

Two stand out as a Gander fan.

The first was the 1994 game in the first round of the playoffs against Aldine Eisenhower.

Eisenhower was fresh off of a couple of semi-final trips.
Lee was fresh off of an 0-10 season in 1992 and 5-5 in 1993.

Lee was lead by Jermaine Alfred at qb, Red Hammick, Haji Tommy, Wallace Louis and Clint Stoerner at receiver.  Arthur Mapp at running back. 
This was the first time in probably 15 years that Lee had a snowball's chance in hell when it came to advancing in the playoffs.  Very fun and satisfying game to watch.  Lee won 29-22.

The other game was not as satisfying, but still the most exciting to watch.  Lee vs Hastings in the 1997 playoffs. 
Lee had made it to the second round, losing to Ball High in 94, lost to Humble in 95, didn't make the playoffs in 1996 despite a 7-3 record.
1997 was the year.
Lee beat Aldine by a td in the first round, then worked over Brazoswood by a 56-24 score.
The article from the Chronicle the next day will tell the rest of the playoff story.
[quote]Hastings is too good a football team for an opponent to commit six turnovers and expect to win. Ask Baytown Lee.

The Bears' defense came up with four interceptions, two fumble recoveries and a blocked punt en route to a 30-20 playoff victory Saturday before 14,278 at Tully Stadium. The Class 5A Division II win advances Hastings to the quarterfinals against Beaumont West Brook.

"You can't turn it over six times and have a punt blocked and win," said Baytown Lee coach Dick Olin.

You certainly can't against the Bears, the District 20-5A co- champions who had outscored opponents 80-0 in their previous two playoff games.

Hastings (12-1) was determined to stop Baytown Lee quarterback Ell Roberson III, who had directed the Ganders (11-2) to nine consecutive victories and the District 22-5A championship.

With defensive end Terrance Colquitt and linebacker Charles Alpert pressuring Roberson constantly, the Bears accomplished that goal. Roberson suffered four interceptions and completed only seven of 29 passes for 114 yards.

"We just tried to contain him and keep him inside the pocket so he couldn't scramble, because he does most of his damage when he scrambles," said Colquitt, who had an interception and fumble recovery.

"We tried to keep him in the pocket. We did it pretty much all day."

Olin said Roberson's play was not up to his usual standards but that Hastings had a lot to do with it.

"Normally, he throws the ball extremely well," Olin said. "We didn't do it. We were throwing in spots where we shouldn't throw.

"We made too many errors, and, of course, Hastings had something to do with that."

For the Ganders, Derrick Shepherd rushed 19 times for 78 yards and had six receptions for 66 yards.

The Ganders' only lead was 7-0 on Roberson's first-quarter, six- yard run.

The rest of the game belonged to Hastings, led offensively by running back Jamil Tharp, who rushed for a game-high 113 yards on 12 carries. The Bears got first-half touchdown runs of one yard from Kilmick Williams and four yards from Nick Jones. They scored in the fourth quarter on an 18-yard reverse from Ahmad Roper and a three- yard run from Marcellus Chapman.

The third of Jesse Torrez's four extra-point attempts was blocked, but he converted the other three, and his 25-yard field goal with 11:57 remaining in the first half gave the Bears the lead for good at 10-7.

Though the Ganders had a 323-271 advantage in total yards, this game belonged to the Bears' defense, which was on the field a great deal. Three of Hastings' scoring drives covered less than a minute, and the other took barely more than two minutes as no scoring drive took more than four plays.

Richard Cox, Kobina Amoo and Emmanuel Ajiodo also intercepted Roberson. Albert recovered the other fumble and also recovered Ajiodo's fourth-quarter blocked punt.

"We have a good defense," Hastings coach Bobby Stuart said. "We've got a bunch of kids that can make plays. Every week, someone makes a different one."

Lee's 20 points tied the third most points allowed this season by Hastings, which had shut out four of its previous five opponents, including playoff wins over Spring Woods (39-0) and Westbury (41-0).[/quote]

It may seem unusual that I would want to watch that game again, but it was the only time I have ever seen Lee make the third round of the playoffs.  The winner there would face West Brook the next week, and Lee had already worn out West Brook 35-12 earlier in the year, then Hastings had to play a weak New Braunfels team in the semis and worked them over.

The stage was really set if Lee could have just managed not to turn the ball over 6 times against Hastings.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would Say,
The Friendswood-Central Game from 08.. I really think that was our year, and If we get past them IMO
we had a good shot at LT..
or
The Bay City-Central game in 03. One of our better Teams to come through Central,.Let that Game Slip through Our fingers
To the State Runner up Bay City..

In 1974 Newton was playing I believe Cameron Yoe in Huntsville in the old rock stadium and it was bitter cold and drizzling rain when Mark Walker for Newton kicked a 35 yard field goal with just a few seconds left to win the game. It was the closest game Newton would have on the way to their first state championship. People from Newton still bring up the win as well as how bitter cold it was. We had huddled together the whole game with blankets and coats and still like to froze, but it was worth every minute.

2008 4A- D2 State title game@Alamodome-Dayton 47 vs.Sulphur Springs 69.Set the 4A-11 man title game record (116 tot.pts.) all-time for most points scored.1,200+ yds.total offense(spread).There were others but a nothing better than a title shot 8)

1992 Playoffs...undefeated 10-0 West Brook v Aldine Eisenhower @ Pasadena Memorial Stadium. What a game. Can anybody remember the show that QB Clarence Cruz and that huge defensive line put on. The Brook tried to get back in the game, but just couldnt get over the hump. I was a little kid and remember crying all the way back to Beaumont. How could we be 10-0 two years in a row and lose to an Aldine school once again. It started momentum for the Eisenhower program as they went on string of a few state semifinal appearances..and a finals appearances...

[quote name="knightrider" post="814876" timestamp="1277670431"]
The last 3 seconds of the Kerrville Tivy AND Dayton semi-final game. Still goes through my head.  ::) ;D
[/quote]

I'm sorry liltex, but the Kerrville Tivy game was a lot more suspenseful the when we played Sulphur Springs. I can remember sitting up there with the band and thinking no way and all of a sudden on side went wild...talk about the intensity.

The Tivy game was not exciting up until A.J ripped the ball out of the Antlers WR hands and we drove down and scored.Who would have bet money Cody makes the FG ?  ::) :o 8)08 title game was trading td's back n forth.I was there @all games

[quote name="Beaumont_Legend" post="814940" timestamp="1277694313"]
1992 Playoffs...undefeated 10-0 West Brook v Aldine Eisenhower @ Pasadena Memorial Stadium. What a game. Can anybody remember the show that QB Clarence Cruz and that huge defensive line put on. The Brook tried to get back in the game, but just couldnt get over the hump. I was a little kid and remember crying all the way back to Beaumont. How could we be 10-0 two years in a row and lose to an Aldine school once again. It started momentum for the Eisenhower program as they went on string of a few state semifinal appearances..and a finals appearances...
[/quote]

I was at this game.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think Eisenhower was going to win.  I just knew that WB was going to pull it off.  I didn't have near as much knowledge of Eisenhower as I should have in order to make my decision, but WB was state ranked and had destroyed Baytown Lee(a horrible Gander squad granted).

[quote name="bronco1" post="815005" timestamp="1277739435"]
Hands down, the most exciting game I have ever watched was Dayton vs. Tivy in 2008 Semi-Final. You could see the loss coming from a long way off in the State Title game against SS.
[/quote]

Exactly my point!

[quote name="D3zii" post="814866" timestamp="1277666529"]
I would Say,
The Friendswood-Central Game from 08.. I really think that was our year, and If we get past them IMO
or
The Bay City-Central game in 03. One of our better Teams to come through Central,.Let that Game Slip through Our fingers
[/quote]I agree!  I do have to give credit to the Bay City defense.  They didnt' let us do much of anything. 
Allow me to add the 2005 game vs WB.  Started the game off 14-0 and ended up losing 14-17...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="815283" timestamp="1277850122"]
[quote author=D3zii link=topic=70738.msg814866#msg814866 date=1277666529]
I would Say,
or
[/quote]I agree!  I do have to give credit to the Bay City defense.  They didnt' let us do much of anything.  
Allow me to add the 2005 game vs WB.  Started the game off 14-0 and ended up losing 14-17...
[/quote]I can't remember the exact year, but it was 1998 or 1999. Central against highly ranked NS. Chad coleman gets over thrown on a sure game winning TD. I was sick >:( ;D Northshore was stacked @ running back, 2 hosses, and a hellava QB. Defense was bad to the bone. My Jags held their own.We sould have won this game. :'(

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="815283" timestamp="1277850122"]
[quote author=D3zii link=topic=70738.msg814866#msg814866 date=1277666529]
I would Say,
or
[/quote]I agree!  I do have to give credit to the Bay City defense.  They didnt' let us do much of anything. 
Allow me to add the 2005 game vs WB.  Started the game off 14-0 and ended up losing 14-17...
[/quote]

Bay City did have a good Defense..But i still think we coulda won that..But yea the 2005

North Shore Vs. Houston Madison! Not sure of the year ,but it was my first time to see Vince Young. The game was at the Dome and ended up somethin like 63-61 Madison. Both teams were highly athletic and couldn't stop each other it was just a track meet!!!

76-Bmt. Hebert 15 vs Humble 13
76- Humble 28 vs Huntsville 25
80 or so  Bay Lee 29-LaPorte 28
Aldine 14-Kingwood 7 the year Aldine won the national championship
would for sure like to see Plano East and John Tyler- I left with six minutes to go with JT way ahead to beat the traffic and a long drive back to Bmt after watching games all day at tx stadium

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin