Where are the trout

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning to show in the surf so if you got a generator and floodlights I'd head to Rollover and fish @ night just ahead and behind a tide change.Winds have laid some and water should green up a bit.Trout should be hungry and full of eggs getting ready for the spawn.Birds are working in east bay for boaters mainly over the deeper reefs.My son recently May 18 went on a guided trip w/2 others to Calcashieu Lake and limited out on specks to 24"by 10:00 am throwing margarita plastics chasing birds diving on lots of shrimp.Guides remarked the reds have not yet made their move.

This was my take from early this morning (about Midnight to 1:30AM) in the ship channel under the lights. The largest two were 20". The smallest one was 16.5". I caught about 20 but most were undersized at about 14.5". The seven I kept were fairly decent size though.

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/SPECKS6-3-10-1.jpg[/img]

[quote name="643" post="809051" timestamp="1275646857"]
Did you have your own lights or fish some that were there....
[/quote]

Lights that are there usually but I have fished under lights that were brought.

[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=70019.msg809060#msg809060 date=1275656118]
The ship channel where?
[/quote]

Near downtown PA.

[quote name="tvc184" post="808739" timestamp="1275587362"]
This was my take from early this morning (about Midnight to 1:30AM) in the ship channel under the lights. The largest two were 20". The smallest one was 16.5". I caught about 20 but most were undersized at about 14.5". The seven I kept were fairly decent size though.

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/SPECKS6-3-10-1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

you know, i'm off for the summer now... i'm out of town for a couple of weeks, but when i get back, we should go.  i like to fish, but i don't like to eat trout, so you'd be welcome to my haul...

This is tonight's catch. They were not as big as the ones from last week. I have a limit of them from 15.5" to 17". It was still fun though and these will be tasty just the same.

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/Specks6-10-10.jpg[/img]

Looking at the tide chart, you guys have been fishing a high tide with not much water movement, am I correct. Thinking of going out tonite, you failed to mention what type of bait, lure or brand of dynomite, inquiring minds are wanting to know....

[quote name="643" post="811506" timestamp="1276252339"]
Looking at the tide chart, you guys have been fishing a high tide with not much water movement, am I correct. Thinking of going out tonite, you failed to mention what type of bait, lure or brand of dynomite, inquiring minds are wanting to know....
[/quote]

I showed the low tide at Mesquite point at about 8:30PM. I figured we were about 2.5 hours behind which was about right. The tide in the ship channel was moving pretty good until about 11:30PM when it slowed a good bit. It became almost slack tide about Midnight.

The guy I was with was catching his on artificial (since that is all that he uses) and I split my time with plastics and live bait. There was plenty of shad in the water and I was using them with good success under a cork maybe 12" down. He almost always uses glow with chartreuse tail Cocahoe Minnows. I used various soft plastics but mostly the Cocahoe or Trout Killers. I also caught a couple on chartreuse glitter but the glow seem to work more consistently.

We didn't catch any fish (or even see any) until the tide started to slow and then they turned on when it went slack. I went home after about an hour with my limit but they were still hitting. We probably tossed about 20 or more that were undersized.

Heres a link to the tide chart I use, there is a reporting station close to the Pleasure Is bridge its listed as Port Author neches channel I think, there are several in and around Sabine lake, if you run the GPS#s at the top of the the page it on Google E it will show the exact loca of each station. I'm gonna wait for wind to lay some before I take my 7y/o grandson, but the wind could blow the skeeters away tho... the link >> http://www.protides.com/texas/

[quote name="643" post="811833" timestamp="1276345518"]
Heres a link to the tide chart I use, there is a reporting station close to the Pleasure Is bridge its listed as Port Author neches channel I think, there are several in and around Sabine lake, if you run the GPS#s at the top of the the page it on Google E it will show the exact loca of each station. I'm gonna wait for wind to lay some before I take my 7y/o grandson, but the wind could blow the skeeters away tho... the link >> http://www.protides.com/texas/
[/quote]

That one showed the low at almost 10:00PM so that was in the same ballpark, accounting for being farther upstream.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="812495" timestamp="1276548830"]
The boat cut into the intercoastal on a falling tide was hopping yesterday when we took the 41 Luhrs to Stingray's for lunch.  To rough to fish offshore so we ate good!
[/quote]

You probably saw me I caught about fifteen specks on bayside in mouth of rollover but only a few keepers plus some sandtrout

[quote name="bullets13000" post="808729" timestamp="1275585696"]
We fished the intercoastal last weekend.  No trout, a few reds, and other assorted junk.  there are tons of crabs out there, if you're interested in loading up on blues.
[/quote]

Where are those crabs???

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="812617" timestamp="1276570939"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=70019.msg808729#msg808729 date=1275585696]
We fished the intercoastal last weekend.  No trout, a few reds, and other assorted junk.  there are tons of crabs out there, if you're interested in loading up on blues.
[/quote]

Where are those crabs???
[/quote]

all over the place.  launch your boat, take a right, find a cut, crab the point.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder