Where are the trout

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rykerx144
went bank fishing last night.  Couldnt find trout any where.  Caught a few red and flounder but no a single trout!! GRRRR

[quote name="rykerx144" post="820922" timestamp="1280240212"]
went bank fishing last night.  Couldnt find trout any where.  Caught a few red and flounder but no a single trout!! GRRRR
[/quote]

After I caught them twice in a row the last few days, a couple of friends went out Saturday night and only caught two keeper trout. I guess the last few days of rain have again pushed them south.

We sure have been getting a lot of rain in the last month. I like rain as much as the next guy but a break would be nice or maybe some small showers and not these gushers that we have been getting.

Guest rykerx144
[quote name="tvc184" post="820949" timestamp="1280242865"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=70019.msg820922#msg820922 date=1280240212]
[/quote]

After I caught them twice in a row the last few days, a couple of friends went out Saturday night and only caught two keeper trout. I guess the last few days of rain have again pushed them south.

We sure have been getting a lot of rain in the last month. I like rain as much as the next guy but a break would be nice or maybe some small showers and not these gushers that we have been getting.
[/quote]

i went to the terminal next to the coke dock and worked my way along the channel at any light i can find.  Saw a lot of movement and bait fish but couldnt find any trout

[quote name="rykerx144" post="820961" timestamp="1280243794"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=70019.msg820949#msg820949 date=1280242865]
[/quote]

[/quote]

i went to the terminal next to the coke dock and worked my way along the channel at any light i can find.  Saw a lot of movement and bait fish but couldnt find any trout
[/quote]

They are with the bait but we are having a hard time finding bait right now. Four weeks ago you could wade across the ship channel on shad. Now I have a hard time finding any. That is why I want the rain to stop.

[quote name="rykerx144" post="820961" timestamp="1280243794"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is this accessible to the public?  Is it too big a secret or can you give me an idea where to go?  Looking for an easy spot to take the boys.

Guest rykerx144
[quote name="westend1" post="820974" timestamp="1280245267"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=70019.msg820961#msg820961 date=1280243794]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is this accessible to the public?   Is it too big a secret or can you give me an idea where to go?  Looking for an easy spot to take the boys.
[/quote]

yea its open to the public

went on the neches last saturday, got 5 keepers all Spec's saturday morning and then my buddy went back sunday to the same spot and got 4 more Spec's...gunna go again this weekend  but probably wont get the same result with the hard raining all 3 days this week

[quote name="baseball10" post="821670" timestamp="1280380841"]
went on the neches last saturday, got 5 keepers all Spec's saturday morning and then my buddy went back sunday to the same spot and got 4 more Spec's...gunna go again this weekend  but probably wont get the same result with the hard raining all 3 days this week
[/quote]

Went to the channel tonight with another guy and we got one keeper in an hour and a half. Almost no bait seen in the water.

Took my 7y/o grandson Fri nite to Sabine, was planning on fishing the lites at the Tx LNG plant BUT they had a dredging boat working in the dock area. We ran across channel to the shrimp boat docks to a cpl of good lites, 2 fishing off back of a boat, no fish being caught and no bait in the lite. We then anchored up next to the old Umphrey pier for a while with my 4' green lite, had very little bait come to the lite, I had figured IF we were gonna have any sucess it would be rite about the time the tide reversed, maybe an hr on each side. GS got a little bored after an hr of waiting, pulled green lite back in boat and headed back to the area South of the dock in Sabine in search of lites with some activity, found a rig that sat just S of the CG station with not so good lite BUT was holding some bait along with an occasional blowup. First cast with a Hackberry Hustler 'opening nite' the fish attacked it but couldn't hook up, a cpl of cast later I downsized to TTF 'opening nite', we then starting catching some fish, if you didn't boat a fish on every cast you either lost it or failed to get a hookset. Before we started catching, my GS told me he was ready to go cuz he was bored, when the first fish hit the bottom of the boat that changed imediately, we left a cpl of hrs later with 3 specks and about 50 sand trout. The bite started about 130 and was non-stop till about 3ish. The bite started about the time I had thought which was at the tide change, it went from very little bait to coved up with finger mullet with a few shad mixed in. All in all it was a good trip with GS learning about patience and why its called fishing and NOT catching....

[quote name="tvc184" post="821671" timestamp="1280380962"]
[quote author=baseball10 link=topic=70019.msg821670#msg821670 date=1280380841]
[/quote]

Went to the channel tonight with another guy and we got one keeper in an hour and a half. Almost no bait seen in the water.
[/quote]

where'd you try to get some bait at??

[quote name="baseball10" post="822458" timestamp="1280716646"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=70019.msg821671#msg821671 date=1280380962]

[/quote]

where'd you try to get some bait at??
[/quote]

Where we fished under some of the lights near downtown PA. I think the heavy rains from the last week have killed the fishing for now. I work with a guy that guides on the weekends and they fished a tounament today and caught three keepers in several hours of hard fishing on the south end and at the jetties. Another guy that I work with that fishes all of the time did not catch a keeper gamefish of any kind in the same tourney.

A few days and it will probably be back up and running full force if we don't get any more heavy rains.

I would think most existing lites would be loaded with Sand trout >>when the tide gets rite. When I had my 30'er I kept it at Sabine Port Auth, seems as if the lites there always had sandies with a few people fishing for them, thing is during the day I saw the guards there try and run boats out of there, some left some didn't. I never saw any boats fishing the lites inside, I really don't see how the guards can keep a boat out considering its 'navigatable water' but I'm sure they will try, besides there are plenty of other lites in the channel...

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="822630" timestamp="1280802032"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=70019.msg822357#msg822357 date=1280662981]
I could use a boatload of sand trout. Some people don't like them but I do.
[/quote]

I love too.  Some say that they turn mushy after freezing, but I never found that to be true.
[/quote]

Maybe if they make sushi out of them.  :D

Fried they are great.

[quote name="643" post="822658" timestamp="1280830713"]
I would think most existing lites would be loaded with Sand trout >>when the tide gets rite. When I had my 30'er I kept it at Sabine Port Auth, seems as if the lites there always had sandies with a few people fishing for them, thing is during the day I saw the guards there try and run boats out of there, some left some didn't. I never saw any boats fishing the lites inside, I really don't see how the guards can keep a boat out considering its 'navigatable water' but I'm sure they will try, besides there are plenty of other lites in the channel...
[/quote]

I like fishing the lights there.  The guards always run me off tho'..."Homeland Security"!!!  Really pisses me off too!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed