Kirbyville 40 Orangefield 26 Final/Comments

Guest bleed orange

Kvilleballa I am proud of you, I thought you would get on here and talk smack about the game, but you did not. Don't disappointment me! Kirbyville out played us and that is the bottom line. I have to give them credit. We nevver stopped their offense all night long. But our kids never gave up and showed the heart of a champion. Forget about this game guys. We still and always will believe in you.

Guest GoStangs

is Kirbyville THAT good?

K'ville is a strong team. I said it earlier, they have a good defense and a lot of speed on offense -- they'll give a lot of teams trouble this year. They're just a dangerous team.

Guest GoStangs

Here's the game write-up from The Orange Leader

Kirbyville wins battle of Cats, 40-26

Jason Rollinson

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — With a possible playoff spot on the line, Kirbyville turned to tailback Pierce Rhodes and he didn’t disappoint the visiting red-and-black.

Rhodes, who returned to his normal position after handling quarterback duties in last week’s loss to West Orange-Stark, rumbled 20 times for 170 yards and five touchdowns as the Wildcats rallied for a 40-26 win over the Orangefield Bobcats Friday night in District 21-3A action at F.L. McClain Stadium.

Kirbyville (4-2, 2-1) racked up 447 yards of total offense with 334 coming on the ground.

Quarterback Aaron Hazelwood completed 8-of-13 passes for 113 yards while throwing one interception to Orangefield’s Ryan Granger in the first half.

“Kirbyville was a great team,†said OF head coach Blake Morrison. “They were fast and executed well, and our defense just didn’t play very well. We had too many missed tackles and busted assignments. This was the type of game that one play could make you or break you.â€

Orangefield (3-4, 1-2) countered with 260 total yards, including 165 through the air.

Senior quarterback Brett Ramsey led the way by completing 9-of-20 passes for 165 yards while leading his team in rushing with 73 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries.

Ramsey’s favorite receiver, Corey Sheppard, hauled in seven passes for 144 yards and a pair of touchdowns, including a 92-yard scoring strike from Ramsey in the first quarter.

“We have a bunch of good receivers on the team,†said Morrison. “Brett reads the secondary well, and Corey just happened to be the one open a lot.â€

Kirbyville recoveredthe opening kickoff and used the short field to score on a 32-yard trot by Rhodes with 10:49 to play in the opening period. After holding the Bobcats to three plays and out on their next possession, Kirbyville moved the ball 51 yards on seven plays to the Bobcat 24, but a 4th-and-6 pass attempt by Hazelwood was nabbed by Ryan Granger at the 10-yard line and Orangefield set up at their own 8 with 5:46 left in the first. Three plays later, Ramsey found Sheppard open on a fade route down the right sideline and the Bobcats tied the game at 6-6. Ramsey’s extra point kick put the ‘Cats on top with 4:15 to play in the first quarter.

The lead didn’t hold up very long as Kirbyville responded with an eight-play, 63-yard scoring drive that was capped off by a 17-yard scamper by Rhodes. The two-point pass to Rhodes was converted and Kirbyville retook the lead at 14-7 with 33 ticks left in the quarter.

“They kept scoring too fast and wearing our defense down,†said Morrison. “It’s tough to come back in a game when you have to change your game plan.â€

OF marched it into the end zone again early in the second quarter on an eight-play, 66-yard drive as Ramsey took a bootleg play to the left for 12 yards and six points. However, the extra point kick failed and Kirbyville held on to its 14-13 edge with 8:30 left in the first half.

Kirbyville scored once more before intermission on a 10-yard run by Rhodes with 21 seconds left and took a 20-13 lead heading into halftime after the kick failed.

The Wildcats took their first drive of the second half into the end zone on a 23-yard run by Rhodes to stretch their lead to 27-13 with 9:47 left in the third, and Kirbyville’s defense stiffened up by holding the Bobcats scoreless on their next three possessions.

The Wildcats used a short field to tack up seven more points to stretch its lead to 21 at 34-13, but OF was able to cut into the deficit when it finally pushed a drive that started as 1st-and-goal at the Kirbyville 1 into the end zone on a 4th-and-goal pass completion from Ramsey to Sheppard. Ramsey’s extra point made it 34-20 with 7:49 left to play and Kirbyville scored once more at the end to come away with the crucial 21-3A tilt.

The Bobcats will be looking to rebound next week when they host rival Bridge City in the “Bayou Bowl.â€

“We’ve still got four games left so we’re going to get ready to play Bridge City next week,†said Morrison. “We’re going to take it one game at a time and hopefully later, we’ll still be in the hunt for a playoff spot.â€

In other 21-3A action, Silsbee remained perfect in district play with a 13-7 victory over Hamshire-Fannett to set up a showdown with West Orange-Stark next week with district championship implications.

Talked to someone who was at the game - Siad Orangefield appeared to have an off night. Is that true (not an opening for an excuse)' date=' or is Kirbyville THAT good?

If KV is THAT good, and WO-S dismantled them like they did, :shock: do we really have to play WO-S :?:[/quote'] I keep telling you that Kirbyville is tough. They will put up at least 50 points on BC and Orangefield is dangerous as well. Tell Cody Mills and Johnny Dishon to bring it. I'll say Kirbyville in a damn romp!!!!

Tough loss for our kids, but they did play hard and we had chances to win the game just couldn't get it done tonight. Hey 3ABirdman, we did look to be out of sinc some tonight, but taking nothing away from Kirbyville. I thought they were the best team we've played all year...sorry Silsbee fans. They have some very skilled players and their little QB is a lot better than I thought he would be.

Tonight the little things that we've done the past 2 or 3 weeks we didn't do well. Several dropped passes that killed drives tonight, dropped an interception in the endzone that probably could have been returned for a TD...Kirbyville scores the very next play and just like that what could have been a tied game...they take a two TD advantage. You have to capitalize on things like that against good teams...and Kirbyville is a good team. But what does that say about WO-S...wow they must be in another world!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder