Pt Neches-Groves vs San Marcos revised set / pre-game talk

[size=10pt]By Randy Stevens
Sports Editor

Waller — For more than nine innings, San Marcos head baseball coach Bryan Webb had to be wondering what  happened to his team’s offense.

After scoring nine runs Friday, the team got shut out in the second game of a best-of-three Class 4A bi-district playoff series at Waller, and wasn’t faring too well after two innings into the third and final game Saturday evening.

But San Marcos would get all the offense it would need to advance, as a six-run third inning propelled the Rattlers past the Bulldogs for a 6-4 win and a bi-district title.

San Marcos (24-10) moves on to face Port Neches-Grove Friday for the first of a best-of-three series Friday night n Bryan at 7 p.m. Game two is set for 11 a.m. Saturday with a third, if needed, to follow 30 minutes afterwards.

“I told the kids in the bus between games that I wasn’t ready to stop coaching this team and the seniors really took it upon themselves to turn things around,” Webb said. “What a great effort.”

Three hits in the top of the third, and combined with a two-run error by the Bears  helped spur the Rattlers’ six-run third.

Payton Pringle got things started with a single to center field, as EJ Alva was hit by a pitch, and Jeremy Gonzalez singled to load the bases. Blake Bagley drove in the first run when he grounded out to shortstop, as Isiah Cantu took advantage of the situation by lining a 2-RBI triple into the right-center field gap. Ryan Schweers then followed with RBI single to score Cantu and give SMHS a 4-0 lead.

That forced Waller head coach Kyle Humphreys to pull his starter, Seth Sassie, for Jacob Wendt, who came in and struck out the next hitter, but walked Dorian Perez and hit Blain Bagley with a pitch to reload the bases.

Pringle came back up to the plate and delivered a well-hit shot to third base, forcing an errant high throw that allowed the Rattlers to post two more runs for a 6-0 lead. 

Waller posted its first run in the fourth when Tyler Bain hit a RBI sacrifice fly with the bases loaded, but SMHS starter Gonzalez got out of the jam by getting Trent Rape to ground out to the mound.

Bain came through with another RBI in the bottom of the sixth, cutting the Rattlers’ lead to 6-2.

The Bulldogs made things interesting in the bottom of the seventh when Gonzalez gave up a two-run homer to Jacob Wendt, trimming the Rattlers’ lead to 6-4.

Webb paid a quick visit to the mound before returning to the dugout.

“He said he was going to take care of things, and when a four-year starter like Jeremy says that, you have to believe him,” Webb said.

Faith paid off, as Gonzalez retired the next two hitters to end the game.

Gonzalez went the distance, allowing four runs on seven hits with three strikeouts.[/size]

[quote name="tvc184" post="800182" timestamp="1273524880"]
[quote author=JoesBros link=topic=69540.msg800143#msg800143 date=1273519076]
Why in katy now?
[/quote]

I don't know but it is about an hour closer than Bryan.
[/quote]Yeah roger on that..might mean the difference on me getting to go or not

And it is pretty easy to get to.  Take I-10 to the Mason Rd. exit.  Turn right on Mason Rd. and take it to Franz Rd.  Then turn right onto Franz Rd. and it will be on the left. 

Morton Ranch is one of the newer Katy ISD Schools.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin