Tyler County Booster *Lou's Lines* 3-25-10

Sports reporter gives his opinion.... The article published states:

The [i]final TABC poll for the 2009-2010 basketball season[/i] was released this past week. The [b]Spurger Pirates[/b] who were one of [i]only four teams to play in Austin[/i] were ranked ninth behind teams who could have and some who were expected to be there but weren't. I'm not sure if this was blatant sign of disrespect or ignorance on the part of the coaches who take part. The Pirates though had many people in their corner willing to stand up and voice their opinion on the issue especially on [i]www.setxsports.com[/i]. One of those writers whom I have to agree is known as [i]Rebel Yeller[/i]. "[i]The final poll is a no brainer[/i]." It should be the state champion as number one, the state runner-up as number two and the semi-finalists as three and four. I think most readers could understand if this was a preseason poll for the 2010-2011 season but it wasn't. The voters definitely got this poll wrong.  
 One thing the voters did not get wrong was the announcement of [b]DANIEL BLANKENSHIP[/b] as a member of the All-State Division 1A team. The Pirates have plenty to replace his points but do they have enough to replace his leadership on the defensive. Hats off also to [b]GEORGE WHITTAKER [/b] who along with [b]BLANKENSHIP[/b] were named to the All-Region team. One obvious athlete missing from this group though is junior point guard [b]CHASE McGALLION[/b]. How do you leave off a player who is ranked number 167 out of 500 point guards in the entire nation and number 23 in the state of Texas. Twelve of those ranked ahead of [b]McGALLION[/b] in assists played more games than him. A 6.5 assists per game is a statistic worth nothing.

Polls are just opinions and usually the only spot that is a lock is the number 1 spot.It's hard to argue that one the champion is the best plain and simple.The rest you have to look at objectively,just because a club goes to the state tourney doesn't mean they are in the top 4.Some regions are weak and you wonder how they ever made it while some are stacked and you have some very good clubs eliminated early.Player rankings are also just an opinion and will always vary.Two things are for certain in Spurgers case,they will miss Daniel but they will be very good again next season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298