UnSigned Seniors

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Betrayed" post="816857" timestamp="1278620541"]
Maybe if some of the "Coaches and Assn't Coaches" stop worrying about themselves and their records, and stop playing Legacy and other water-downed basketball programs around here and schedule some bigger programs where some scouts might be at, instead of playing teams where [b]only parents attend the games[/b]. Go play some ranked 4a and 5a schools. When was the last time Hj has even played a ranked 4a or 5a school?? Promote the kids, let us see for ourselves if they can play on the same court as guys going D1 instead of getting on here and telling us their not good enuff. Maybe the coach and his staff will get exposed instead of the players. I witnessed both all-state players from this area  get theirs against other all state players in the Tabc all state game. Matter of fact, They Started!! ;)  It was sad to say i think only 1 guy at the time didn't even have a Juco offer. It was quite embarrassing for the young man when everyone was asking him where was he going. But hey, it is what it is. Go coach some games where you don't always have the best athlete or bball player on the court.
[/quote]

[size=12pt]I'm not a parent of a basketball player, future basketball player, or past player, but I attend almost every game and there are a lot more just like me. I remember not to long ago HJ playing Wheatly in Beaumont. I think it was Coaches first year back. Why is your focus on alway's trying to make the coaches look bad, They put out a lot of time for the kids to help them become better players and better people, If you don't like it go get a degree and coach. Spend sixty to eighty hours a week helping kids, get paid almost nothing so you can come home get on the internet and have someone  b!+(#  constantly about you. It kills me to see someone so upset over a situation and then do absolutely nothing to fix it. Go get a coaching job, cause I'm sure there will be someone, like yourself, that will get on here and set you straight. Man you must have missed a lot of playing time when you were in school. [/size]

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="827460" timestamp="1282254239"]
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well said Poppabear!!!!!
[/quote] "It kills me to see someone so upset over a situation and then do absolutely nothing to fix it."
The fix is in full effect. It's a 3 to 4 yr plan. It almost came this summer. Thank God a certain coach didn't accept a certain job ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Betrayed" post="827467" timestamp="1282255409"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=67026.msg827460#msg827460 date=1282254239]
[/quote] "It kills me to see someone so upset over a situation and then do absolutely nothing to fix it."
The fix is in full effect. It's a 3 to 4 yr plan. It almost came this summer. Thank God a certain coach didn't accept a certain job ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Wow, Betrayed.  Does this mean that there will be multiple press conferences in Kountze announcing all of the "move ins"?  The last strategy almost got some people in a bind and this one is going to be worse.  You need to quit trying to convince someone other than yourself that you wield enough power to dictate where a kid is going to school. (it sure didnt work this past year, did it?)  And your comment about which teams a school should play so as to help the players get a scholarship?  Give me a freaking break.  The colleges are very sophisticated in the recruiting game and if a player is good enough, they will find him regardless of the schedule he plays.  Stephen McGee and Jordan Shipley (both now in the NFL) made it to A&M and UT from a 3a school named Burnet and they didnt get there because some disenchanted fan/former player who felt he was mistreated, complained about the lack of competition.  Lets get real here.  You aren't going to impact where a kid plays basketball and you darn sure arent going to impact the schedule that a school elects to play.  The coaches against whom you complain are highly successful and there is nothing you can do to take that away from them.  Surely you are getting tired of beating your head against a wall.

[quote name="Betrayed" post="827467" timestamp="1282255409"]
[/quote]

Leave!!!!!!  Nobody is stopping you!!!  The players that were rumored to be leaving will see much more playing time at HJ than at the school they were rumored to be going to!!!!!  HJ will be successful with or without them!!!  Give me a break..........a 3-4 year plan!!!  Whatever!!!

[quote name="Betrayed" post="816857" timestamp="1278620541"]
Maybe if some of the "Coaches and Assn't Coaches" stop worrying about themselves and their records, and stop playing Legacy and other water-downed basketball programs around here and schedule some bigger programs where some scouts might be at, instead of playing teams where only parents attend the games. Go play some ranked 4a and 5a schools. When was the last time Hj has even played a ranked 4a or 5a school?? Promote the kids, let us see for ourselves if they can play on the same court as guys going D1 instead of getting on here and telling us their not good enuff. Maybe the coach and his staff will get exposed instead of the players. [b]I witnessed both all-state players from this area  get theirs against other all state players in the Tabc all state game. Matter of fact, They Started!! ;)  It was sad to say i think only 1 guy at the time didn't even have a Juco offer[/b]. It was quite embarrassing for the young man when everyone was asking him where was he going. But hey, it is what it is. Go coach some games where you don't always have the best athlete or bball player on the court.
[/quote]
Here you go again......you continue to make a case against yourself!!!!

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!! There were PLENTY OF JUCO AND D1 coaches at this all star game.  GUESS WHY THEY DID NOT GET OFFERS???????  Because they were not good enough!!!!!  If they were SOOOOO good in this all star game against the best players in the state with JUCO and D1 coaches there they would have gotten an offer.  Guess what.....they didn't.  Answer this again.  If Kountze is playing such great competition and doing all the things right like you say in previous posts why have they not beaten HJ since Sutherland left???? Bet you don't answer that one!!!!

Your 4 year plan holds no water with anyone on here.  You have made a hundred statements on here and none have come to the surface.  This one will be much of the same!!!

I have no hard data to confirm this, but after years of interacting with youth coaches, my best estimate is that somewhere between 90 and 95% of youth coaches in all sports become involved with coaching kids because of their own children. Most of these coaches decide to "help out" on their son or daughter's teams. A few are selected to be head coaches despite inexperience and relative lack of knowledge. (Lazeek)  ;D ;D ;D 
Please note that I have the utmost respect for these 'Dad-coaches'. Especially the fair-minded 1's that treat all of the players equally and give no preferential treatment to their kids.In my opinion, parent-coaches are not a very good idea. There are a variety of reasons why I feel that way, but here are the most important ones.
To start with, your relationship with your son or daughter must be different on the field or on the court than it is at home. On the practice field or court, thats why criticism is important."Criticism is like money. A player should not worry about receiving it. They should worry about a lack of it." A player can't improve if he or she doesn't know what he's doing incorrectly. Many parents have enormous difficulty criticizing their own children.There is also the issue of perception.
As an example, imagine a head football coach or Basketball coach who is coaching his own son. After the first week of practice, his son's name appears on the depth chart as a first string quarterback or point guard. Other parents of players on the team will notice this. Their sons will come home and tell them about practice and the new guard, or quarterback. They may notice the changes when the team is announced at the first game of the season. They will likely begin to chat amongst themselves about the team.
Sooner or later, human nature being what it is, some parent is going to complain. Some parent, probably one that has never even been to a practice, is going to get the idea that the coach's son is only the quarterback or point guard because he's the coach's son, or race.  Eventually that irate parent is going to bleat to the league administration about the unfairness. This head coach will soon be accused of nepotism.
Now, based on the information we have before us, is the coach guilty as charged? Yes, I  did say yes!! The coach is guilty of nepotism, of giving favored treatment to his son because of their relationship. Why is he guilty? Because he allowed himself to be perceived as guilty. Unfortunately his actual intentions are completely irrelevant once that perception takes root in the minds of the parents and administration of his league. Anyone in a position of leadership and authority must hold themselves to a higher standard.
At all times, the "Parent Coach" must be perceived as honorable, fair, and devoted to his team. His players must know that he can be trusted, because he is trustworthy. What does it tell the players when their coach tells them to work hard, to give it 100%, and then places his son in the most coveted position on the team? I believe that it tells them to stop trying, because they cannot trust their coach.
Perhaps that coach's son truly is the best quarterback, or point guard on the team. Perhaps he is destined for an D1 scholarship in a few years. Perhaps he's a natural leader, with poise and confidence beyond his years, who inspires his teammates to play at a higher level.
Here is the catch-22 for parent-coaches, and the single largest reason I am against the idea of parents coaching their own kids. There is no way to be completely be fair to all parties in this situation. If a coach makes his son the quarterback, or point guard, he'll be accused of playing favorites. If the coach gives another boy the position, then not only is he shafting his son, but his entire team suffers because a lesser-talented player is now running the offense. Is the coach's son, by virtue of his lineage, not allowed to compete on an equal basis with his teammates for all the positions?
In recent memories, A coach in a Youth League placed his son in the starting quarterback position. Unfortunately, his team had a losing season, and, as always when a coach has a bad year, nay-sayers and bad-mouthers came out from the woodwork. Apparently, the sole reason they had a losing season was that the coach's son was the quarterback.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Those of us on the inside of the league knew that his son was one of the most gifted natural athletes in the league. In fact, his son was on my own draft list in 2nd place until I discovered he was the son of another coach, and our league automatically sent him to his father's team. The position I intended to place him in was quarterback.
I have my suspicions about why their team had a losing season, and they have nothing to do with nepotism. Unfortunately, that was the perception, therefore that was the fact. It's not right, but it's common.
There is really only one way to be completely fair, and be perceived as completely fair, and that is to refrain from coaching your own child. This is a radical viewpoint, but I think it's an honest one.
Understand, I mean no disrespect to parent-coaches. This sort of assumes a "perfect world" scenario. In a perfect world, there would always be enough competent, fair coaches for every team. I know this is not usually the case, and most parent-coaches started coaching their sons because there just wasn't anyone else. I applaud the sense of responsibility that made these coaches step forward when they were needed. There are very, very few coaches, especially at the youth level, that do not have children.
My recommendation is that parents make every effort to avoid coaching their own sons. It can be done if you use some creativity. For example, if your son is a linebacker, then I recommend that you coach the offensive unit, and hand the defense off to your assistant coach. Obviously this isn't a perfect solution. What do you do if your son plays both ways? The answer that I have is 'I don't know.'
At all times the most important thing to remember is the perception your players have of you. They must always know that you will do the right thing. They must know that their hard work will be rewarded with their placement on the depth chart, and their playing time. Your best defense against a charge of nepotism is your players, who will always be able to tell if you are fair and honorable.Coaching your own son or daughter is a huge responsibility, but along with that responsibility comes the equally great responsibility to the players that are not related to you. They too deserve competent, fair coaching from you.

[quote name="sleepy" post="827590" timestamp="1282267472"]
[quote author=Betrayed link=topic=67026.msg816857#msg816857 date=1278620541]
Maybe if some of the "Coaches and Assn't Coaches" stop worrying about themselves and their records, and stop playing Legacy and other water-downed basketball programs around here and schedule some bigger programs where some scouts might be at, instead of playing teams where only parents attend the games. Go play some ranked 4a and 5a schools. When was the last time Hj has even played a ranked 4a or 5a school?? Promote the kids, let us see for ourselves if they can play on the same court as guys going D1 instead of getting on here and telling us their not good enuff. Maybe the coach and his staff will get exposed instead of the players. [b]I witnessed both all-state players from this area  get theirs against other all state players in the Tabc all state game. Matter of fact, They Started!! ;)  It was sad to say i think only 1 guy at the time didn't even have a Juco offer[/b]. It was quite embarrassing for the young man when everyone was asking him where was he going. But hey, it is what it is. Go coach some games where you don't always have the best athlete or bball player on the court.
[/quote]

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!! There were PLENTY OF JUCO AND D1 coaches at this all star game.  GUESS WHY THEY DID NOT GET OFFERS???????  Because they were not good enough!!!!!  If they were SOOOOO good in this all star game against the best players in the state with JUCO and D1 coaches there they would have gotten an offer.  Guess what.....they didn't.  Answer this again.  If Kountze is playing such great competition and doing all the things right like you say in previous posts why have they not beaten HJ since Sutherland left???? Bet you don't answer that one!!!!  8) 8) 8)

Your 4 year plan holds no water with anyone on here.  You have made a hundred statements on here and none have come to the surface.  This one will be much of the same!!!
[/quote]Sure i can... What are a teams odds to beat a certain team, who uses certain refs, which sell that team uniforms and t-shirts?? Don't get me started dude!!  8)

[quote name="Betrayed" post="827620" timestamp="1282270160"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=67026.msg827590#msg827590 date=1282267472]
[/quote]

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!! There were PLENTY OF JUCO AND D1 coaches at this all star game.  GUESS WHY THEY DID NOT GET OFFERS???????  Because they were not good enough!!!!!  If they were SOOOOO good in this all star game against the best players in the state with JUCO and D1 coaches there they would have gotten an offer.  Guess what.....they didn't.  Answer this again.  If Kountze is playing such great competition and doing all the things right like you say in previous posts why have they not beaten HJ since Sutherland left???? Bet you don't answer that one!!!!  8) 8) 8)

[/quote]Sure i can... What are a teams odds to beat a certain team, who uses certain refs, which sell that team uniforms and t-shirts?? Don't get me started dude!!  8)
[/quote]  If that is the case, you simply should organize another Kountze press conference and expose everybody for what they have done.  That would certainly get rid of those coaches you dont like>  Come on, do it.  That would work so much better than a 4 year "plan".  By the way, didnt the Kountze coach have to agree to "certain refs".  Come on , the more you speak, the sillier you look

[quote name="Betrayed" post="827620" timestamp="1282270160"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=67026.msg827590#msg827590 date=1282267472]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I got you started.  Lets hear the reasons why and there names why Kountze has not beaten HJ in 4 years!!!!

[quote name="Betrayed" post="827616" timestamp="1282269845"]
I have no hard data to confirm this, but after years of interacting with youth coaches, my best estimate is that somewhere between 90 and 95% of youth coaches in all sports become involved with coaching kids because of their own children. Most of these coaches decide to "help out" on their son or daughter's teams. A few are selected to be head coaches despite inexperience and relative lack of knowledge. (Lazeek)  ;D ;D ;D  
Please note that I have the utmost respect for these 'Dad-coaches'. Especially the fair-minded 1's that treat all of the players equally and give no preferential treatment to their kids.In my opinion, parent-coaches are not a very good idea. There are a variety of reasons why I feel that way, but here are the most important ones.
To start with, your relationship with your son or daughter must be different on the field or on the court than it is at home. On the practice field or court, thats why criticism is important."Criticism is like money. A player should not worry about receiving it. They should worry about a lack of it."[b] A player can't improve if he or she doesn't know what he's doing incorrectly[/b]. Many parents have enormous difficulty criticizing their own children.There is also the issue of perception.
As an example, imagine a head football coach or Basketball coach who is coaching his own son. After the first week of practice, his son's name appears on the depth chart as a first string quarterback or point guard. Other parents of players on the team will notice this. Their sons will come home and tell them about practice and the new guard, or quarterback. They may notice the changes when the team is announced at the first game of the season. They will likely begin to chat amongst themselves about the team.
Sooner or later, human nature being what it is, [b] some parent is going to complain. Some parent, probably one that has never even been to a practice[/b], is going to get the idea that the coach's son is only the quarterback or point guard because he's the coach's son,[b] or race.[/b]  Eventually that irate parent is going to bleat to the league administration about the unfairness. This head coach will soon be accused of nepotism.
Now, based on the information we have before us, is the coach guilty as charged? Yes, I  did say yes!! The coach is guilty of nepotism, of giving favored treatment to his son because of their relationship. Why is he guilty? [b]Because he allowed himself to be perceived as guilty.[/b] Unfortunately his actual intentions are completely irrelevant once that perception takes root in the minds of the parents and administration of his league. Anyone in a position of leadership and authority must hold themselves to a higher standard.
At all times, the "Parent Coach" must be perceived as honorable, fair, and devoted to his team. His players must know that he can be trusted, because he is trustworthy. What does it tell the players when their coach tells them to work hard, to give it 100%, and then places his son in the most coveted position on the team? [b]I believe that it tells them to stop trying, because they cannot trust their coach.[/b]
Perhaps that coach's son truly is the best quarterback, or point guard on the team. Perhaps he is destined for an D1 scholarship in a few years. Perhaps he's a natural leader, with poise and confidence beyond his years, who inspires his teammates to play at a higher level.
Here is the catch-22 for parent-coaches, and the single largest reason I am against the idea of parents coaching their own kids. [b]There is no way to be completely be fair to all parties in this situation. If a coach makes his son the quarterback, or point guard, he'll be accused of playing favorites.[/b] If the coach gives another boy the position, then not only is he shafting his son, but his entire team suffers because a lesser-talented player is now running the offense. Is the coach's son, by virtue of his lineage, not allowed to compete on an equal basis with his teammates for all the positions?
In recent memories, A coach in a Youth League placed his son in the starting quarterback position. Unfortunately, his team had a losing season, and, [b]as always when a coach has a bad year, nay-sayers and bad-mouthers came out from the woodwork.[/b] Apparently, the sole reason they had a losing season was that the coach's son was the quarterback.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Those of us on the inside of the league knew that his son was one of the most gifted natural athletes in the league. In fact, his son was on my own draft list in 2nd place until I discovered he was the son of another coach, and our league automatically sent him to his father's team. The position I intended to place him in was quarterback.
I have my suspicions about why their team had a losing season, and they have nothing to do with nepotism. Unfortunately, that was the perception, therefore that was the fact. It's not right, but it's common.
[b]There is really only one way to be completely fair, and be perceived as completely fair,[/b] and that is to refrain from coaching your own child. This is a radical viewpoint, but I think it's an honest one.
Understand, I mean no disrespect to parent-coaches. This sort of assumes a "perfect world" scenario. In a perfect world, there would always be enough competent, fair coaches for every team. I know this is not usually the case, and most parent-coaches started coaching their sons because there just wasn't anyone else. I applaud the sense of responsibility that made these coaches step forward when they were needed. There are very, very few coaches, especially at the youth level, that do not have children.
My recommendation is that parents make every effort to avoid coaching their own sons. It can be done if you use some creativity. For example, if your son is a linebacker, then I recommend that you coach the offensive unit, and hand the defense off to your assistant coach. Obviously this isn't a perfect solution. What do you do if your son plays both ways? The answer that I have is 'I don't know.'
At all times the most important thing to remember is the perception your players have of you. They must always know that you will do the right thing. They must know that their hard work will be rewarded with their placement on the depth chart, and their playing time. [b]Your best defense against a charge of nepotism is your players,[/b] who will always be able to tell if you are fair and honorable.Coaching your own son or daughter is a huge responsibility, but along with that responsibility comes the equally great responsibility to the players that are not related to you. They too deserve competent, fair coaching from you. [/quote]

[size=12pt]OK first let me say that you bring up some interesting philosophy on this topic, your points were thought provoking, actually I thought it was one of your best post yet. I actually kept scrolling up to the top many times to make sure that you had posted it.  I will respond to each bold quotes, I'm just trying to hone in on your central thesis. I do agree with you on some points of what you articulated so nicely.  :)
[list]
[*]Players need direction....I agree, but from the coach, not the stands  ;)
[*]Doesn't HAVE to be a parent now does it.... :o
[*]Wasn't quite sure how but I knew you would get race in there some where, or are we talking about track season. Can you explain this better I'm having trouble ???
[*]Install mind control devices to change the perception of others....got it....want to be first  ;D
[*] "it" doesn't tell them other people do, other than the coaches.
[*]Got it coaches shouldn't be able to procreate, or should they just quit there job until there child gets out of school, or maybe send them to a different school so he or she will never get to see them play. I do agree that it is and always will be very difficult
[*]Let the kids decide who to play....got it...I do agree that kids detect unfair treatment long before adults. But IMHO I think they should be allowed to coach there kids, yes it's going to cause some problems but hopefully the players is mature enough to ask what he or she is doing wrong, at the very least find out the absolute best way to help the TEAM.
[/list][/size]

After I posted it I should say read it in order, each comment that is in bold has a response in order. I wasn't sure if it was clear.

PappaBear-  I think you can count on the fact that Betrayed was not the author of this note, but rather a "copy and paster".  Dont you think it is interesting that when this thread was deleted by administrators as its own subject and then shows up, word for word, in this thread?

[quote name="stevenash" post="828447" timestamp="1282392143"]
PappaBear-  I think you can count on the fact that Betrayed was not the author of this note, but rather a "copy and paster".  Dont you think it is interesting that when this thread was deleted by administrators as its own subject and then shows up, word for word, in this thread?
[/quote]

I am curious about that myself.

I believe that the author of the thread deleted it himself and then placed the post in this thread, but I could be wrong.

I'll do some checking.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="828524" timestamp="1282406333"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=67026.msg828447#msg828447 date=1282392143]
[/quote]

I am curious about that myself.

I believe that the author of the thread deleted it himself and then placed the post in this thread, but I could be wrong.

I'll do some checking.
[/quote]

No need to check!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="827491" timestamp="1282257192"]
[quote author=Betrayed link=topic=67026.msg827467#msg827467 date=1282255409]
[/quote]

Wow, Betrayed.  Does this mean that there will be multiple press conferences in Kountze announcing all of the "move ins"?  The last strategy almost got some people in a bind and this one is going to be worse.  You need to quit trying to convince someone other than yourself that you wield enough power to dictate where a kid is going to school. (it sure didnt work this past year, did it?)  And your comment about which teams a school should play so as to help the players get a scholarship?  Give me a freaking break.  The colleges are very sophisticated in the recruiting game and if a player is good enough, they will find him regardless of the schedule he plays.  Stephen McGee and Jordan Shipley (both now in the NFL) made it to A&M and UT from a 3a school named Burnet and they didnt get there because some disenchanted fan/former player who felt he was mistreated, complained about the lack of competition.   Lets get real here.  [color=red][size=18pt][size=14pt]You aren't going to impact where a kid plays basketbal[/size][/size]l[/color] and you darn sure arent going to impact the schedule that a school elects to play.  The coaches against whom you complain are highly successful and there is nothing you can do to take that away from them.  Surely you are getting tired of beating your head against a wall.
[/quote] :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

[quote name="Betrayed" post="829318" timestamp="1282532994"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=67026.msg827491#msg827491 date=1282257192]
[quote author=Betrayed link=topic=67026.msg827467#msg827467 date=1282255409]
[/quote]

Wow, Betrayed.  Does this mean that there will be multiple press conferences in Kountze announcing all of the "move ins"?  The last strategy almost got some people in a bind and this one is going to be worse.  You need to quit trying to convince someone other than yourself that you wield enough power to dictate where a kid is going to school. (it sure didnt work this past year, did it?)  And your comment about which teams a school should play so as to help the players get a scholarship?  Give me a freaking break.  The colleges are very sophisticated in the recruiting game and if a player is good enough, they will find him regardless of the schedule he plays.  Stephen McGee and Jordan Shipley (both now in the NFL) made it to A&M and UT from a 3a school named Burnet and they didnt get there because some disenchanted fan/former player who felt he was mistreated, complained about the lack of competition.   Lets get real here.  [color=red][size=18pt][size=14pt]You aren't going to impact where a kid plays basketbal[/size][/size]l[/color] and you darn sure arent going to impact the schedule that a school elects to play.  The coaches against whom you complain are highly successful and there is nothing you can do to take that away from them.  Surely you are getting tired of beating your head against a wall.
[/quote] :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
[/quote] I'm laughing too.  Its just for a different reason.

[quote author=hj15 link=topic=67026.msg829508#msg829508 date=1282589867]
Cut and Paste, and here I just thought Betrayed got edjumacated!!
[/quote
  Right now, his biggest worry is how to get after the little league football coach.  I'll bet he might threaten him with a "four year plan" too.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124