Who is your favorite HJ Player of ALLTIME??

Favorite or best player????  No question (from what I hear) is that RR was the best to ever wear a HJ uniform!!!  Favorite player..................most likely the kid that a former Nederland coach called "Doughboy" during a half time speech...............he was lighting the Bulldogs up!!!!!!!!!!  The funny thing is that the former Nederland coach had the kid he called "Doughboy" out weighed by likely 200 pounds!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest BKJ85
[quote name="86hawk" post="770120" timestamp="1267650920"]
No contest.  Rocky Rocquemore.  Lead the state in scoring (84-85?) average 30+ points a game. 
[/quote]I agree. I played against him. heck of a ball player.

Guest BKJ85
[quote name="ST413" post="770145" timestamp="1267653773"]
I even remember RR's name and I was just a teenager not even in the same district as HJ.
[/quote]Trust me they don't come any better than Rocky.

sorry SETXSLAM, no offense intended towards you or Donahoe, but Donahoe couldn't carry his jock.  I don't think anyone out of Sour Lake was on the same level.  There have been some good players too.
The car accident was unfortunate.  Coach Breithaupt (now UIL BIG CHEESE, Dr. Breithaupt) spoke at the service. 

Guest ann tagon eyes
[quote name="86hawk" post="770227" timestamp="1267664969"]
sorry SETXSLAM, no offense intended towards you or Donahoe, but Donahoe couldn't carry his jock.  I don't think anyone out of Sour Lake was on the same level.  There have been some good players too.
The car accident was unfortunate.  Coach Breithaupt (now UIL BIG CHEESE, Dr. Breithaupt) spoke at the service. 
[/quote]

And no offense to you, but saying a Player of the Year could not carry the jock of another player is quite a stretch.  I saw both play plenty of times.

I would have to say Donahoe, he just refused to let the Hawks lose.He absolutely took the game over in Austin on one leg, took a savage beating in a crucial game that season in a game against Silsbee.He may not be the best but when they get together they talk about him  ;) ;)

Guest speechless
There is a valid argument for Rocquemore, Donahoe, and Spears.  All 3 could hold each others jocks just fine.  Those are the 3 best to ever go thru hj, which one of those 3 is the best is a good argument.

i will say this too, you can throw jarvis benard in the argument.  people dont realize he is hj's all time leading scorer with well over 2,000 points. 

[quote name="speechless" post="770255" timestamp="1267667367"]
There is a valid argument for Rocquemore, Donahoe, and Spears.  All 3 could hold each others jocks just fine.  Those are the 3 best to ever go thru hj, which one of those 3 is the best is a good argument.

i will say this too, you can throw jarvis benard in the argument.  people dont realize he is hj's all time leading scorer with well over 2,000 points. 
[/quote]When Rocky played there was no 3 point arc and he could lite em up. He hit 50 one game 2 at a time. sweet ole jump shot. RIP Rocky. Only player I know that could touch the top of the backboard.

Wasn't Isabelle ('91) the Texas High School Player of the Year?  I could be wrong, but I thought I heard it mentioned during the HJ Classic.  Of course, he may have had a better supporting staff. 

I played ball against HJ in 81 and 82.  No huge stand outs, but just a bunch of role players who took them, I believe, to the State tournament.  It's spooky watching them today, because all of the ghosts of the past come back and haunt me.  Dudes pressed me all night long! 

Guest ann tagon eyes
[quote name="Sloe" post="770257" timestamp="1267667714"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=66813.msg770255#msg770255 date=1267667367]

[/quote]When Rocky played there was no 3 point arc and he could lite em up. He hit 50 one game 2 at a time. sweet ole jump shot. RIP Rocky. Only player I know that could touch the top of the backboard.
[/quote]

# of points scored does NOT determine who was a better player.  Rest assured that Mr. Donahoe could have scored many more points if he had wanted or needed to.  If your criteria is more than points scored and includes, perhaps, assists, rebounds, and the mental aspect, I would find it hard to go against Donahoe.

Guest ann tagon eyes
If scoring is your main criterion, I can tell you that 4 of the top  college players ever to play the game are:  Freeman Williams, Lionel Simmons, Alphonso Ford, and Harry Kelly.  Hope you get my drift.

I've heard stories, and wish I'd seen the late Rocky Rocquemore play, but I was busy with other things back then.  So much basketball, so little time...  Anyway, Donahoe's my favorite HJ player, of the HJ players I've seen.  Nothing wrong with Jarvis, Trey, Jacoby, Gus, the Ricossas, Grayson...  or any of them-- great, coachable kids all.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder