SHSU v Lamar

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="761694" timestamp="1266469357"]
[font=Courier]The thing that impressed me the most about SHSU wasn't their hot shooting in the first half, but the way those guys play man defense.

When you can hold the home team to .190 shooting in their own gym in the first half - IMPRESSIVE. Best in team in the SLC by far.[/font]
[/quote]

Agreed. I don't understand why our guards weren't shooting in the 2nd half. I understand their confidence is down a little, but you don't pass up WIDE open shots on the perimeter so you can shoot a contested shot down low (where we were man handled)... doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coachacola
SHSU's best players are seniors and juniors and their guards can shoot.  Lamar has a lot younger team that can't shoot.  I doubt SHSU is a great defensive team, Lamar is just terrible offensively.  Harris scores most of his points from free throws, he doesn't have much of a outside shot.  Harper and Minor don't shoot much.  I think Miles is getting run down from all the minutes he plays.  Roc's best team was when he had Todd, Hopkins, Dawkins and McThay all capable of shooting 3s.

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="bullets13" post="761697" timestamp="1266469416"]
[quote author=etbu link=topic=66065.msg761628#msg761628 date=1266466748]
Went to the game tonight with my son and what in the world has happen to Lamar basektball? Twenty years ago go to a game and place had a great crowd and now hardly anyone there. The talent level is no where what it use to be and not much to root for. SHSU does have a good team and very well coached. Hope Lamar does something and get this thing turned around. What a great facility and football stadium is coming along.
[/quote]

i'd heard you might come to the show tonight.  was hoping to meet you at the hamburger depot...
[/quote]

My bad bc got into town late and grab my kid ate then to the game. Catch you guys next time and look foward to meeting up with you'all.

[quote name="coachacola" post="761731" timestamp="1266495734"]SHSU's best players are seniors and juniors and their guards can shoot.[/quote]

SHSU's "best players" may be seniors and juniors, but we reload every year. There's a reason SHSU is in the top 3 each year over what, the last five? Our best player - Clavell - returns next year, as does the "glue" that is Crow - both will be seniors. Murray is a sophomore and has shown that he can fill the Mitchell role.

If we get the one big-time JUCO transfer that we have the last two years (see Allmond, Clavell) - we'll be fine with the much adored HS players coming in.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="761744" timestamp="1266500151"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=66065.msg761731#msg761731 date=1266495734]SHSU's best players are seniors and juniors and their guards can shoot.[/quote]

SHSU's "best players" may be seniors and juniors, but we reload every year. There's a reason SHSU is in the top 3 each year over what, the last five? Our best player - Clavell - returns next year, as does the "glue" that is Crow - both will be seniors. Murray is a sophomore and has shown that he can fill the Mitchell role.

If we get the one big-time JUCO transfer that we have the last two years (see Allmond, Clavell) - we'll be fine with the much adored HS players coming in.
[/quote]
That was his point. Lamar is just now getting into recruiting more four year players so they don't have to retool every other year. How often in SHSU run with Marlin have the Bearkats started a bunch of Sophomores and Freshman. Never! Having young guys in the system getting practice time and playing time behind established Juniors and Seniors and subsidizing with one JUCO guy each year keeps you from starting over every other year which is what Lamar has been doing with all of these JUCO guys. Our biggest problem is we can't shoot. We got no outside game, and other than Nabors, we have no one that can hit a layup. Outside of Nabors and Minor, no one shoots with confidence! SHSU shot with confidence. No hesitating at all. We pass up open shot after open shot??

Guest coachacola
Since SHSU is the best team by far in the SLC hopefully they can win the conference and get a 14 seed in the NCAA tourney.  They could probably pull the upset like Northwestern State did a few years back against Iowa as a 14 seed.  Bob Marlin has been at SHSU for a long time and that really helps in building a program.  In a way SHSU has been lucky that Marlin wasn't too successful or he would be at a "bigger" program by now.

[quote name="badndn" post="762076" timestamp="1266527633"]
No one has ever argued that he was not the best coach in the SLC!
[/quote]

Terror is going to have a field day... but you are right.

Something we all noticed last night that was very interesting:

The Bearkats all had huge calves and were strong.
The Cards, not so much. Outside of maybe Minor, Harper and Nwevo, but none of them looked like the SHSU crew.

SHSU has a football program and a strength and conditioning program to go with it, do they have a BB S&C program? Does Lamar have a BB S&C program?

Guest coachacola
[quote name="badndn" post="762085" timestamp="1266528433"]
Something we all noticed last night that was very interesting:

The Bearkats all had huge calves and were strong.
The Cards, not so much. Outside of maybe Minor, Harper and Nwevo, but none of them looked like the SHSU crew.

SHSU has a football program and a strength and conditioning program to go with it, do they have a BB S&C program? Does Lamar have a BB S&C program?
[/quote]

Well, Lamar did hire their first fitness and conditioning coach ever, and once the new athletic complex is complete then that should only help the basketball team.

So what would Roc's team have done this year and/or last night with a healthy Ashton Hall? Will he red-shirt?...or is he done?

My biggest concern about Lamar's future is who will replace the points, rebounds, and leadership next year with Nabors gone? If its Brown or Wesley, its a bit discouraging that they had only two points between them?

And what about Coy...will he return for a 5th year?

We may find ourselves even younger next year!

[quote name="tyree" post="762142" timestamp="1266536287"]
So what would Roc's team have done this year and/or last night with a healthy Ashton Hall? Will he red-shirt?...or is he done?

My biggest concern about Lamar's future is who will replace the points, rebounds, and leadership next year with Nabors gone? If its Brown or Wesley, its a bit discouraging that they had only two points between them?

[/quote]
I would suspect that Harper would pick up the production that Nabors has given this year, but not to the same degree. Harper can get 10pts and 7boards, and Brown can get the other 5 and 3. I think Minor will score more next season also, in the 8-10 PPG range. Maybe a guy like Phillips at LSPA? He is a rebouning machine and can score around the basket.
The biggest need is an outside threat. There is a kid at SWChristian College in Tx (JC that Petteway came from) named Brandon Davis that is a 6'6" gaurd who shoots 50% from 3 and is scoring 20 PPG. I'd like to see someone like that in an LU uni.

PG 6'1" Miles
SG 6'2" Minor
SG 6'6" Davis
PF 6'6" Harper
C 6'11" Custer

If that is our starting lineup next year I think we will be doomed to another mediocre year with  extremely low ppg.

[quote name="badndn" post="762678" timestamp="1266601243"]
[quote author=tyree link=topic=66065.msg762142#msg762142 date=1266536287]

[/quote]
I would suspect that Harper would pick up the production that Nabors has given this year, but not to the same degree. Harper can get 10pts and 7boards, and Brown can get the other 5 and 3. I think Minor will score more next season also, in the 8-10 PPG range. Maybe a guy like Phillips at LSPA? He is a rebouning machine and can score around the basket.
The biggest need is an outside threat. There is a kid at SWChristian College in Tx (JC that Petteway came from) named Brandon Davis that is a 6'6" gaurd who shoots 50% from 3 and is scoring 20 PPG. I'd like to see someone like that in an LU uni.

PG 6'1" Miles
SG 6'2" Minor
SG 6'6" Davis
PF 6'6" Harper
C 6'11" Custer

[/quote]

Guest coachacola
Redshirt freshmen 6-10 Osas Ebomwonyi and 6-0 Jonathan Garza (both from Pflugerville) should be playing next year.  There are 4 freshmen signed for next year, with 6-1 Tre Lynch probably getting a lot of playing time.  Maybe Reggie Mathis and EB Davis will get a lot more minutes next year too.

Miles made great strides in his outside game this year and should be better next year.  Minor should also be a lot better next year.  Harris isn't bad but I don't think he has much of an outside shot.  Will Harper and Custer improve much next year?  I don't think so.

Brown and Wesley should be a lot better next year.  I don't think Ebomwonyi will be much of threat offensively but should help defensively.  I don't see the other freshmen making much of an impact but maybe we'll be surprised.

[quote name="limecuda" post="762778" timestamp="1266609878"]
If that is our starting lineup next year I think we will be doomed to another mediocre year with  extremely low ppg.

[quote author=badndn link=topic=66065.msg762678#msg762678 date=1266601243]

[/quote]

PG 6'1" Miles
SG 6'2" Minor
SG 6'6" Davis
PF 6'6" Harper
C 6'11" Custer

[/quote]
[/quote]
This was a hypothetical with 6'6" Davis. If we did go after him and he shot 40% -50% from 3 point land with his size and scored 15-20 a game (scoring over 20 in JUCO) then I beg to differ.
PG 6'1" Miles    15 ppg
SG 6'2" Minor    8 ppg
SG 6'6" Davis    15 ppg
PF 6'6" Harper  10 ppg
C 6'11" Custer    8 ppg

That's 56 ppg from the starters. Definitely better than this year!

[quote name="badndn" post="762825" timestamp="1266614447"]
[quote author=limecuda link=topic=66065.msg762778#msg762778 date=1266609878]

[quote author=badndn link=topic=66065.msg762678#msg762678 date=1266601243]

[/quote]

PG 6'1" Miles
SG 6'2" Minor
SG 6'6" Davis
PF 6'6" Harper
C 6'11" Custer

[/quote]
[/quote]
This was a hypothetical with 6'6" Davis. If we did go after him and he shot 40% -50% from 3 point land with his size and scored 15-20 a game (scoring over 20 in JUCO) then I beg to differ.
PG 6'1" Miles     15 ppg
SG 6'2" Minor     8 ppg
SG 6'6" Davis    15 ppg
PF 6'6" Harper   10 ppg
C 6'11" Custer    8 ppg

That's 56 ppg from the starters. Definitely better than this year!
[/quote]

Do you know if we are recruiting Davis?

[quote name="geezer" post="761598" timestamp="1266465714"]
When will Roc try a different approach.  We have spent three years watching three small guards and two bigs playing against teams with guards and wings bigger than ours.  Its more difficult to shoot over somebody taller than you.  Its difficult to feed the post when you can't throw it over your defender.  Custer may not be a strong post but we ought to know by now that he can't handle a pass below is waist.  You have to make passes that your players can handle.  None of the guards shoot well enough to make a defense respect them.
[/quote]

The approach the he should try is recruiting Division 1 talent

[quote name="etbu" post="761628" timestamp="1266466748"]
Went to the game tonight with my son and what in the world has happen to Lamar basektball? Twenty years ago go to a game and place had a great crowd and now hardly anyone there. The talent level is no where what it use to be and not much to root for. SHSU does have a good team and very well coached. Hope Lamar does something and get this thing turned around. What a great facility and football stadium is coming along.
[/quote]

Well, it is very simple.  We suck.  And we've pretty much consistently sucked for over 20 years.  Eventually, you get disgusted and quit going to games (like me).  At one time, I thought I'd never miss a home game.  Then I've had to live through horrible coach after horrible coach.  We continue to hire poorly.  There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't consistently compete for an SLC championship and we are consistently struggling to just make the SLC tournament. 

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="761607" timestamp="1266465859"]
Not sure SHSU executed brilliantly.

SHSU had 22 turnovers. In men's Div I basketball, you don't often win if you have 15 and SHSU had 20. I figure if SHSU had half as many turnovers, they win by 20, 25 based on the shooting percentages.

Kats won with two of their top players - Mitchell and Almond - not producing. Kats got surprise lift from Preston Brown.

Even more thrilling than SHSU MBB over Lamar was SHSU WBB stunning Cards to pull of the sweep...
[/quote]

I think it is funny when a team talks about how they one in spite of so and so not playing well.  And if they hadn't had turnovers etc.  Maybe the reason so and so didn't score is because somebody was guarding him? 

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="762151" timestamp="1266537824"]
Hall is done. Coy is coming back. But yea Wesley and Brown need to step up next year. 
[/quote]

Hey, we've got no talent but at least they are young.  So we can continue to have no talent for 3 more years.  Keep recruiting those young players with no talent!  If the players we have on the bench can't play on this team they must be awful.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics