Barbers Hill-10 Crosby-0 FINAL/Post Game Comments

Eagles stay perfect with win over Coogs

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun

Published October 7, 2006

CROSBY — On a night when the offenses tended to look offensive, Barbers Hill made enough plays and their defense did the rest as the Eagles improved to 5-0 on the season Friday night with a 10-0 win over Crosby.

“We made plays when we had to,†BH head coach Don Price said. “It was a great effort by our defense. Crosby is a scary football team. We had great efforts on both sides of the ball and on special teams. Mason did a great job of punting tonight.â€

Fisher caught two passes on the night, one of which went 64 yards for a score. But it was as a punter where he had his biggest impact. The senior had nine punts on the night averaging 37 yards per punt. From that point it was on the defense which held Crosby out of the end zone.

For the night Barbers Hill had 196 yards of total offense, 43 of which came on the ground. Crosby had 198 yards of offense but committed two turnovers and made mistakes when they least needed them.

“I have to give Barbers Hill credit,†CHS head coach Kevin Flanigan said. “They don’t make mistakes. They do a great job of coaching. This was probably the closest anyone has played them. We have played a close ball game or two here and you take something from losing. But we are not going to get used to losing.â€

The Barbers Hill defense set the tone early in the game when Kyle Cox forced a fumble on a Torris Doze carry giving the Eagles possession at the 48-yard line. The Crosby defense held but the Eagle special teams came up with a big play as Fisher buried a punt in the right corner at the three-yard line.

Despite the poor field position, the Cougars were able to pick up some momentum offensively. A 22-yard pass from Durran Starks to Caleb Randolph gave Crosby some breathing room. After picking up another first down on the ground the drive stalled forcing a punt. A roughing the kicker penalty gave the Cougars new life and they took advantage. Crosby made it down to the 23-yard line following a 13-yard Chance Casey run but a holding penalty put the Cougars in a hole from which they couldn’t recover. The drive ended on a Billy Greer 48-yard field goal attempt that was short.

For the better part of the first half the Barbers Hill offense was stuck in neutral. The Eagles had trouble with the center snap throughout the game that threw the offense off balance several times. Crosby was also able the stuff the Barbers Hill running game for the better part of the evening. With 5:12 remaining in the half the Eagles did come up with a big play via the passing game. Facing a 3rd and eight at their own 36, Blake Patton found Mason Fisher isolated on the left on Ryan Wheatfall. Wheatfall was in position to make a play but Fisher, who is 6’4 was able to go over the Wheatfall who is only 5’4. Once Fisher gathered the ball in he sailed to the end zone to give the Eagles a 7-0 lead.

“Wheatfall is a good player,†Price said, “but Mason is special and he made the play.â€

In the second half, the Eagle defense held Crosby to 85 yards, most of which came on one drive. On the first Cougar possession, Cameron Swart was a disruptive force from his defensive tackle position. The senior had one tackle for a three-yard loss and combined with Joe Sexton to drop Casey for no gain following a Cougar first down. The Eagles forced a punt when Nick Coggin broke up a deep pass on 3rd and 10.

“They were pretty good but I just came out in the second half ready to go,†Swart said. “The adrenaline was flowing. I thought the game was on the defenses shoulders. We have an awesome defense. I trust the defense and I trust my teammates.â€

The Cougars forced a punt and took possession at their own 14. Casey started the drive with an 18-yard run and Starks completed passes to Casey and Jessie Moore. Crosby got all the way down to the Barbers Hill 18 where they had 2nd and one. Working out of the shotgun, disaster struck when a poor snap got past Starks. Crosby fell on the ball at the 33-yard line facing 3rd and 16. A pass netted five but on fourth down Steven Vara deflected a pass to end the threat.

“We hadn’t had a bad snap in the shotgun in four games,†Flanigan said. “It is one of those deals. We are banged up right now with our No.1 and No. 3 receivers on the sideline as well as one of our top linemen. But that didn’t beat us. We have to execute.â€

Barbers Hill iced the game in the fourth quarter with a 16-play 69-yard drive that resulted in an 18-yard Coggin field goal. Taking possession with 9:34 remaining in the game, the Eagles took nearly eight minutes off of the clock. Barbers Hill converted on three third downs and one fourth down on the drive. The big plays of the drive were passes of 20 yards and 19 yards from Blake Patton to twin brother Todd Patton. The drive stalled on the one yard line where Price elected to go for the field goal which Coggin converted with 2:01 remaining in the game for a 10-0 lead.

Crosby put together one last threat thanks to a 51-yard kickoff return by Torris Doze that put the ball at the 29-yard line. Coggin slowed Doze down allowing Jonathan Delgado to make the touchdown saving tackle.

After a two-yard rush by Starks, the defense swarmed the junior quarterback. Cox deflected a pass on second down and on third pressure by Sexton forced an incomplete pass. After a penalty, Starks went to Moore across the middle but Chris Bradshaw’s hit on Moore resulted in an incomplete pass to seal the game.

Blake Patton led the way completing 9 of his 13 passes for 153 yards while gaining 25 yards on the ground. Mason Fisher caught two passes for 62 yards. Chance Casey had gained 81 yards on 18 carries to lead Crosby. Starks was 8 of 26 for 103 yards. Todd Patton intercepted one of Starks passes. Moore had three receptions for 37 yards.

Next week, Barbers Hill host New Caney, while Crosby travels to C.E. King.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play calling sucked, bad snaps,and such. Why can you guys give your coaching staff some credit. Seems to me from reading about your team and looking at your record this year and past years that the staff at Barbers Hill does a good, if not great job with your kids. Many teams would love to be 5-0 with your so called bad play calling and such. Good luck to your team for the rest of the year and run the table in your district.

Correct me if I am wrong , but doesn't Barbers hill run the spread offense BH96. Saying that a flag football coach calls better plays is hilarious. I cannot stop laughing at that comment. Tell me BH96, what type of defense does Crosby run, how many people did they put in the box, what coverages did they run against your eagles. You must take all these things into consideration when calling plays. I find it funny that my team, Nederland is 0-2 in district yet nobody puts down our coaches play calling.

Give your coaches credit, looks like they know what they are doing. I look forward to seeing the Eagles play this year, just hope my work schedule will allow me to catch a playoff game.

Let me just say one thing when you have an all state reciever in Mason fisher standing at 6'4" and a defender standing at 5'4" and we throw 2 passes to him one for a 64 yard TD and we only throw to him 2 times. We di have good coaches alot of our succes is from our coaches ability to adjust at half time and come out and kick some but. But I would have thrown to Fisher more than twice. Or throw the ball period to open up the running game. That is why Crosby played with 8 to 9 people in the box all night.

If they played with 8-9 in the box all night and the coaches didn't adjust I would agree with you ,but with the spread that I know that Barbers Hill runs I just don't think 8-9 in the box is possible. With 4 wides there is now a you can put 8-9 in the box. Keep up the good workto Barbers Hill and their fans

If they played with 8-9 in the box all night and the coaches didn't adjust I would agree with you ' date='but with the spread that I know that Barbers Hill runs I just don't think 8-9 in the box is possible. With 4 wides there is now a you can put 8-9 in the box. Keep up the good workto Barbers Hill and their fans[/quote']

Oldman, How long have you watched the Eagles???? are you basing your opinions off of what you read or have you actually followed the Eagles and watched games? I've been watching the team and haven't missed a game for the past 10 years!! And have followed the eagles for the past 20!! I undetstand no one likes coach bashing and our coaches do a good job But we have had a lot of talent come through BH in the past several years with one 3rd ropund apearance in 99 and the rest have been one and out. BH has made the playoffs because of weak districts and great kids , the coaching has been par IMHO!!

I never saw 7 in the box' date=' much less 8 or 9.[/quote']

Yeah Sticky your right their wasn't 8 or 9 in the box but their were 7 in the box of and on. The point I was trying to make was why only throw the ball 8,9 or 10 times a game and run it 44 times. We have a good team and a good first year QB that has a pretty good arm on him. So why not throw the ball more spread it out they all aint got to go to Mason but when you have a corner mismatched with your reciever you need to take advantage of it. Every one in the stands seen it so I know the coaches seen it. I am sure the head phones the coaches were aren't for ear warmers so I know the coaches in the press box seen it too. The Defense is good real good and it aint fair to them having to protect a 7 point lead for 3 quarters of the game when we could of had a 21 point lead. That is all I am trying to say. The only thing is the coaches know we have some tough teams in front of us still so they might not of wanted to show the whole play book.

I wish Kirbyville was in that district with da Hill!!!lol

Kvilleballa, I'm sure you can concure with what is being said. BH made the Kville Coaching staff look like geniuses!!!!!! k-ville is an average 3A team, but when they play the Hill they look like a State Contender!!! Next round K-ville gets hammered by 30 against a team the goes to the next round and gets Hammered. No Way BH is this bad folks NO WAY!!!!! Give this team to Coach Hooks (WOS) or Barbay (NEWTON) and BH would clean house!!! I counted on the field one day that we had 13 to 17 Coaches on the field. one of these guys has to be able to call better plays and I'm sure they bite their lip every game. Please Coach put some new blood in the press box and lets see what happens!!!!!

Barbers Hill coaches your doing a great job. With you guys being 5-0 it makes you wonder what these idiots ( BHFAN among others ) would be saying if your record was 3-2 or 2-3. Keep working hard and winning ballgames.

I can't believe how someone who has attended more than a few BH football games could even think to criticize our coaching staff. That just baffles me. The comments that we have these great players and don't do anything with them are just dumb. We do not just have great outstanding athletes here! That should not be difficult to understand. Our players get to be good football players through hard work, great offseasons (that those stupid coaches you talk about put in), and we do things right (also due primarily to those coaches). There's a reason we very rarely have kids going on scholarship to the next level, and its not our coaches fault. They put in hours upon hours of breaking down film so they can make the quick decisions they do on Friday nights. When you get a clue about what is actually going on with the X's and O's, then bash these coaches that have won something like 62 games since '99.

Look we do have good coaches I never said we didn't. A lot of the success we have been having for the past 7 years is because our coaches are good at adjustments during half time. Now what we are talking about is the play calling ability of the OC. He needs to adjust him self at half time. Let me ask you a question. Is it fair for defense to to have to protect a 7 point lead for 3 quarters when they could have protected a 21 point lead. Their was no dout that we could have thrown on Crosby the whole night which would have opened up the running game. In stead we ran the ball 46 times for 44 yards and throwed the rock 9 times for like 170 yards or something. If you are able to throw the rock then throw it build up your lead then run the clock out with the running game.

Hey guys I thought this was a TEAM. Not Offense not defense not coaches not individual players. I agree with the other poster, what if we had a 0-5 record for the year we would just shot to everyone. Have you ever thought that the coaches looked at the other teams film and they had some athletes that could intercept and we couldn't catch them in that situation, and that is not to take anything away from our team. I think that there may have been more to the choice of plays than you Friday night coaches thought of. And besides the fact WE WON. Did any of you read that in the paper? :roll:

Look we do have good coaches I never said we didn't. A lot of the success we have been having for the past 7 years is because our coaches are good at adjustments during half time. Now what we are talking about is the play calling ability of the OC. He needs to adjust him self at half time. Let me ask you a question. Is it fair for defense to to have to protect a 7 point lead for 3 quarters when they could have protected a 21 point lead. Their was no dout that we could have thrown on Crosby the whole night which would have opened up the running game. In stead we ran the ball 46 times for 44 yards and throwed the rock 9 times for like 170 yards or something. If you are able to throw the rock then throw it build up your lead then run the clock out with the running game.

What you and BHfan need to do it go to the next board meeting and offer yourself to be the next OC. Since you seem to have it all figured out. Your team is 5-0 and doing well in 4-A. Be happy.

Well maybe if you really look at the way our plays are called, that the pass is set up by the run. Big pass plays in this kind of offense are produced by setting them up off the run. Even if it isn't said most posters criticizing the playcalling are looking to get the ball to Fisher more, not just pass more. Don't you think teams might be catching on a little bit that he is a pretty good player. I'm sure whether it looks to you like there is just a small CB on him, most likely there is almost always a safety with a primary objective of being over the top for him. And just another observation, it seems they are doing a good job of finding the times when there isn't one waiting, because of the catches he does get they seem to be for some big plays.

How you can say the coaching is not good is beyond me. As has been pointed out, Barbers Hill certainly doesn't overwhelm you with athletes. If you matched them up man for man, Crosby would have a large advantage in athleticism. Barbers Hill plays a tight, strict gameplan that gets W's. They execute and don't makje mistakes and are methodical, and it works.

Like I said before we do have good coaches. The only thing I can come up with is they were teying to hide something. As in they didn't want to throw the whole play book at them. We are saving it for GP.

Like I said before we do have good coaches. The only thing I can come up with is they were teying to hide something. As in they didn't want to throw the whole play book at them. We are saving it for GP.

I sure hope your right. I do however have to disagree with another poster who says we don't have as many athletes. Yes Mason is a great talent, but there are several other players whom in my opinion are VERY good. Look at Cox as an example. That kid is one of the most dominant defensive player in SE Texas, if not all of Texas. McSwain and Sexton are no push-over. Our fine Baytown transfer is not exactly lacking abaility, he just does not get much opportunity. Nick Coggin is a fine kicker and Mason has become quite good at punting. Kudos also has to go to the entire defensive line. How many time have you seen the entire line stop the run all the way to the sideline with no or very little gain.

I am not going to bash the coaches, but there is some truth to some of the one-on-one matchups our rceivers have had. If you need a critical third down and you have a multiple 6 foot plus receivers matched up with a 5-4 or 5-5 defender, don't worry about Galena Park. No one is going to sneak-up on anyone come week 10 and that's when we play them.

I never said there are no good athletes on the field. This is about the most just straight athletic team we have had. But we are very often overmatched size and speed. We don't just have gifted athletes. There is something to be said for pure speed and athleticism. Not that we have none, but I was referring to a poster that made it sound like we should be winning more games because we have better athletes. I will say that except for maybe last season we have had lesser athletes than the team we lost to in the playoffs. Not to say we didn't have a better team, but we simply did not execute. Our players either beat themselves with dumb turnovers and we have always been bit by the injury bug pretty the past few years. We win on discipline, execution AND great gameplanning, and I believe these are all attributed to the coaches on both sides of the ball. I know yal aren't saying they are bad coaches but playcalling and the preparation that goes into it are one the strong points of the staff believe it or not.

One quetion :D If we have an outstanding staff as some of you have pointed out then why can't we get any where in the playoffs???? Are you really that impressed with BH's records against one of the worst 3A districts in the state?? Do you think that our kids are really that untallented??? I understand that some of you know a coach on the team and that is why you are on here defending them (Which you should) , but these guys receive pay checks and have a job just like everyone else. If you don't perform then you look for the next job. I'm not saying these guys are bad people I'm sure they are all great, but again I work with some very nice people that don't do thier job. Coaching at a whole in BH is absoulutly teriffic!!!!! The play calling is what baffels me I just can't understand after someone sits down and studies a team for an entire week through film and stats comming out and running the ball 44 times and picking up 45 yards!!!!! I just would like to see one day for the BH offense to catch up with the Defense. The reson for the past 7 years BH's record has been so good is because of great defensive coaching and kids! The offense struggles every year and is exposed in the playoffs.

Nevermind

BHFan isn't worth the effort of getting in a posting match with. He is an IDIOT!!! Smarter than everyone else on the face of the earth and could apparently do a much better job than most people at anything.

BHFan, if you bleed blue and white, that is a laugh. Supporter of the program huh! That is a good one. These boys work there hearts out for our Coaches, because they respect most of them and they know that they work hard for them everyday, not just some of the time or when they are winning. It's all the time. Win or Lose.

I support everyone , Coaches and Players. It's not just the Coaches fault that we don't go farther than we do in the playoffs. Call it both ways, and if I'm not mistaken, last year it wasn't the offenses fault w/ Kirbyville. So lets don't point fingers of why we don't go farther in the playoffs. Offense and Defense have to work together or none of it works.

I can't imagine how much you would be ripping Coaches if we were losing. :roll:

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder