***New H-F AD......WHO WILL IT BE? Mangan Reassigned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773739" timestamp="1268146975"]
[quote author=SETX RULES link=topic=65861.msg773602#msg773602 date=1268108901]
Can we assume that HF and OF can be favorably compared based on enrollment?  If so then the issue of AD and who and what is a good fit can be brought up and we can look at OF, they replaced their AD last year with not much improvement in football.  Last year there was a thread that stated that it was the kids at OF and their preference to play basketball was more to blame for the team having trouble making playoffs. 

Watching SETX sports for more than a decade I can attest to one thing OF will always compete for a playoff spot in every sport.  The new AD at OF will make two playoffs in the next five years.

HF can only compete in vball and baseball year in and year out.  The reason is
* Athletes are above average in ALL of the following categories: Height, wing span, quickness, speed, overall coordination and body control.  In the last five years HF has completely lost all there athletes, they are gone the have a hand full at best.  Now new coach will fix that.

OF and HF are the only two schools in that district that have never been larger than 3A.  However, OF has more athletes and better facillities as well as better pay.  The OF parents may not always agree with coaches but they keep their thoughts to themselves better than HF, the HF parents feel that this site was designed for them to explain to the rest of the SETX community that with better coaching they would win.  HF wants to let you know how well they do in defending their state title in academic UIL.  What we should do is set up a forum for the smart kids parents from HF to get on her and thump their chest.  All I can say is HF is not two or ten years from competing in all sports they should move the junior high coaches up and then and only then will they win.                             
[/quote] :D
[/quote][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][color=blue][/color]WOW! - I take it you're not a communication major.  There is so much to say about this comment - where to begin?!!! Think I'll bite my tongue and just sit this one out.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="True Blue Mom" post="773939" timestamp="1268165222"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65861.msg773739#msg773739 date=1268146975]
[quote author=SETX RULES link=topic=65861.msg773602#msg773602 date=1268108901]
Can we assume that HF and OF can be favorably compared based on enrollment?  If so then the issue of AD and who and what is a good fit can be brought up and we can look at OF, they replaced their AD last year with not much improvement in football.  Last year there was a thread that stated that it was the kids at OF and their preference to play basketball was more to blame for the team having trouble making playoffs. 

Watching SETX sports for more than a decade I can attest to one thing OF will always compete for a playoff spot in every sport.  The new AD at OF will make two playoffs in the next five years.

HF can only compete in vball and baseball year in and year out.  The reason is
* Athletes are above average in ALL of the following categories: Height, wing span, quickness, speed, overall coordination and body control.  In the last five years HF has completely lost all there athletes, they are gone the have a hand full at best.  Now new coach will fix that.

OF and HF are the only two schools in that district that have never been larger than 3A.  However, OF has more athletes and better facillities as well as better pay.  The OF parents may not always agree with coaches but they keep their thoughts to themselves better than HF, the HF parents feel that this site was designed for them to explain to the rest of the SETX community that with better coaching they would win.  HF wants to let you know how well they do in defending their state title in academic UIL.  What we should do is set up a forum for the smart kids parents from HF to get on her and thump their chest.  All I can say is HF is not two or ten years from competing in all sports they should move the junior high coaches up and then and only then will they win.                             
[/quote] :D
[/quote][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][color=blue][/color]WOW! - I take it you're not a communication major.  There is so much to say about this comment - where to begin?!!! Think I'll bite my tongue and just sit this one out.
[/quote]Me too! I was going to respond but deleted my comments before I posting.

[quote name="HFHORNS" post="772870" timestamp="1268003771"]
Or the other choice is to stay and hope you kids doesn't get screwed by HF athletic department.  I would love to see the programs turn around [i][b]you have great parent support and a lot of kids with alot of heart[/b][/i].  Mangan was definitely not a good fit for this school.  Put it in the past and move on.  Consider it a lesson learned and fix the problem.  
[/quote]

Didn't I read on the "High School Soccer" board that HF had 4 starters that would be missing  2 or 3 district games so they could go on spring break?   If this is true, is it also possible that similar things could be happening in all the sports?  And if this is true, is this the kind of "great parent support and a lot of kids with alot of heart" that is happening out there?  If any of it is true, then it will probably be hard to be competitive in the district that HF is in.

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="774207" timestamp="1268192020"]
[quote author=HFHORNS link=topic=65861.msg772870#msg772870 date=1268003771]
Or the other choice is to stay and hope you kids doesn't get screwed by HF athletic department.  I would love to see the programs turn around [i][b]you have great parent support and a lot of kids with alot of heart[/b][/i].  Mangan was definitely not a good fit for this school.  Put it in the past and move on.  Consider it a lesson learned and fix the problem.  
[/quote]

Didn't I read on the "High School Soccer" board that HF had 4 starters that would be missing  2 or 3 district games so they could go on spring break?   If this is true, is it also possible that similar things could be happening in all the sports?  And if this is true, is this the kind of "great parent support and a lot of kids with alot of heart" that is happening out there?  If any of it is true, then it will probably be hard to be competitive in the district that HF is in.
[/quote]

If what you say is true about the spring break stuff, then you are 100% correct.

Yes, lack of commitment on the part of some players/parents is a problem.  But there are many athletes/parents who have foregone summer, holidays, and spring breaks to be at all the practices and games.  The problem continues to be on many levels - when players miss practices/games for leisure activities, oftentimes they don't receive any consequences for their actions.  This sends the wrong message to those who made the choice to honor their commitments.  On some occasions, coaches have tried to issue consequences only to be chewed out by parents and not backed by administration.  Finally, we live in a society that thinks it's okay to go for whatever brings immediate gratification.  As stated many times before in this thread, the problem is on many levels.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="774528" timestamp="1268241862"]
UIL Regs: Issues [color=red]NOT[/color] appropriate for discussion with coach:

playing time
team strategy
play calling
etc.

Maybe this is why some don't play?
[/quote]Bluedove - please clarify - are you saying some choose not to play because they can't discuss these things with coaches because of UIL? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking for clarification.

[quote name="True Blue Mom" post="774573" timestamp="1268244363"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65861.msg774528#msg774528 date=1268241862]
UIL Regs: Issues [color=red]NOT[/color] appropriate for discussion with coach:

playing time
team strategy
play calling
etc.

Maybe this is why some don't play?
[/quote]Bluedove - please clarify - are you saying some choose not to play because they can't discuss these things with coaches because of UIL? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking for clarification.
[/quote]I was just wondering because I know how HF parents can become invloved  with coaches.

They need to lok at some of the defensive staff that Alvarez has at Kirbyville.  the dc there,the former dc from Newton, the former head coach at Marlin. THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO GO FAR TO FIND A GOOD COACH!!!! I don't known if any of these would leave because all the players are coming back...

[quote name="True Blue Mom" post="774518" timestamp="1268240937"]
Yes, lack of commitment on the part of some players/parents is a problem.  But there are many athletes/parents who have foregone summer, holidays, and spring breaks to be at all the practices and games.  The problem continues to be on many levels - when players miss practices/games for leisure activities, oftentimes they don't receive any consequences for their actions.  This sends the wrong message to those who made the choice to honor their commitments.  On some occasions, coaches have tried to issue consequences only to be chewed out by parents and not backed by administration.  Finally, we live in a society that thinks it's okay to go for whatever brings immediate gratification.  As stated many times before in this thread, the problem is on many levels.
[/quote]

I believe if you are on a team you should have FULL COMMITMENT to your team, and that can start with the parents. If you are on a team that plays over Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Spring Break your commitment should be to your team first. Now, I know during Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks if anything is going on it's not district so maybe the coaches should think about that and allow families to put family first and not schedule tournaments. However, with Softball, Baseball, and Soccer district games take place during spring break. The coach cannot do anything about that and if a family has a player on any of these teams I believe they should put the team before taking vacation. Most situations if an athlete misses during this time it's not his/her fault. A coach CANNOT punish a player for going on vacation during spring break. Most athletes would much rather play than go skiing or to the lake.

Why can't a coach make consequences for going on spring break?  I realize the ultimate decision belongs to the parents, but if there are consequences for the athlete the parent either has to be willing to accept those and pay the price or make other arrangements for vacation. 

[quote name="True Blue Mom" post="774676" timestamp="1268254429"]
Why can't a coach make consequences for going on spring break?  I realize the ultimate decision belongs to the parents, but if there are consequences for the athlete the parent either has to be willing to accept those and pay the price or make other arrangements for vacation. 
[/quote]Gotta agree with you on this one.

Email the UIL and see what they have to say about it. How are you going to punish an athlete for going on vacation during a school holiday. They go on vacation as faimilies, what are you going to do...leave a teenager at home unattended...not a good idea. I don't think the parents should be planning a vacation during this time period if their child is going to be participating in a sport that has games over spring break, but you can't punish the athlete for the parents decision. Missing practice during a school day and a school holiday are completely different. I know when I was in school coaches couldn't even make practices mandatory over spring break. I don't know if that was a school rule or UIL. Maybe someone else knows.

Guest BUCMAN08
only those that are 100 percent committed to a sport will not go on vacation .....some look for a excuse not to go to practice    ....jmo  ;D

[quote name="postup" post="775007" timestamp="1268286015"]
Vacation/Spring break?.......What should the consequences be for a player who chooses his AAu game over his school game?

[/quote]In basketball, a high school student isn't allowed to play until [color=red]AFTER [/color] the season is over.

[quote name="Rizon" post="774970" timestamp="1268281014"]
Email the UIL and see what they have to say about it. How are you going to punish an athlete for going on vacation during a school holiday. They go on vacation as faimilies, what are you going to do...leave a teenager at home unattended...not a good idea. I don't think the parents should be planning a vacation during this time period if their child is going to be participating in a sport that has games over spring break, but you can't punish the athlete for the parents decision. Missing practice during a school day and a school holiday are completely different. I know when I was in school coaches couldn't even make practices mandatory over spring break. I don't know if that was a school rule or UIL. Maybe someone else knows.
[/quote]

Some interesting points.

If the parent(s) of the player(s) decide to plan a vacation during the season of the sport that their child is playing in, should they have any complaints if the coach decides not to play their child when they return from vacation?

What if you are a backup to the player that left for "vacation" and you made all the practices and all the games during spring break; should the player that returns from "vacation" get his or her starting position back? how would that make you feel if you are backup?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder