Lamar Approach vs UTSA Approach to Recruiting

Looks like Lamar is loading up on transfers. You can say that UTSA might do it next year and you are probably right, but I doubt it will be anywhere near the rate that Lamar has.

Thoughts? Do you think this may not be the best approach?

Lamar
(NOTE: this information based off SLC site - seem to be missing a few FBS transfers)
Year One: 10 JUCO
Year Two: 10 JUCO, 1 FBS, 2 FCS

UTSA
Year One: 1 Div II, 1 FBS

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about recruiting but Lamar's approach makes sense to me. I'd think that if you just loaded up on high schoolers you'd find yourself, in 4-5 years, needing to pick up a ton of kids through recruiting again whereas if you mixed in JUCO transfers you'd be able to even it out more.

[quote name="UNLV" post="756169" timestamp="1265486641"]
Football is different from Bball. It is much easier for a juco to play at a DI level in football versus Bball.
[/quote]

Agreed. Maybe you take more HS kids if they have higher ceilings or more potential than the JUCO kids, however, if these JUCO kids make a bigger impact, then why not take them now?

Plus these juco kids will help us win some games, which is what fans want to see.

Guest coachacola
Coach Woodard actually talked about this not too long ago but I don't remember where I read it.  He said the first few years he would bring in more transfers and JUCO players than normal because he didn't want to have just freshmen and sophomores on the team.  Since Lamar is playing a tougher schedule it's first year than other teams (like ODU and USA) it makes sense he'd sign more JUCOs and transfers.

You just have to understand the whole aspect with JUCO players. There are ups and downs.
[b]UPS[/b]
They're past the high school level, and have at least one year of experience against better athletes at every position.
There is no down spots for the most part at juco.
More experience, and better coaching = better players
[b]DOWNS[/b]
Only 2-3 years of eligibility left compared to high school players which have 4.
Usually close to if not completely developed athletes, with not as much upside.
Have experienced 1-2 years of a certain playing style, and usually will have to change their style immediately to make an impact.

At the FBS level, the best JUCOS to get are the ones that can come in mid-term.  This allows them to participate in spring practice and of course fall practice.  Those that come in during the fall usually take their first full season to learn the game at that level (speed of the game, etc.).  These JUCOS can give you one, maybe 1-1/2 years of good productive play if they are players.

Starting from scratch the Lamar is doing it requires many JUCO players just to be competitive.  I think Woodard is going about it the right way.  The best thing for Lamar is getting in the good transfers each year.  Moving from FBS to FCS, those guys don't have to sit out a year.  Look at the players Lamar has coming in from A & M.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="756486" timestamp="1265561191"]

AJ, you said a down side is that they don't know the offense yet. However, most of these guys played in these exact schemes at navarro or close forms of the spread at other schools. They are already familiar with everything but the facilities.
[/quote]

Yes, the Navarro guys. I'm talking about the Dean College, College of the Sequioas, Blinn runs a very different offense, etc..

[quote name="AJ25" post="756528" timestamp="1265567423"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=65733.msg756486#msg756486 date=1265561191]

AJ, you said a down side is that they don't know the offense yet. However, most of these guys played in these exact schemes at navarro or close forms of the spread at other schools. They are already familiar with everything but the facilities.
[/quote]

Yes, the Navarro guys. I'm talking about the Dean College, College of the Sequioas, Blinn runs a very different offense, etc..
[/quote]

High school guys have to learn a new offense also. Of course, most don't play right away, but still, JUCO players normally come in better than the HS players we get.

[quote name="mffl" post="756765" timestamp="1265602535"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=65733.msg756528#msg756528 date=1265567423]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=65733.msg756486#msg756486 date=1265561191]

[/quote]

[/quote]

High school guys have to learn a new offense also. Of course, most don't play right away, but still, JUCO players normally come in better than the HS players we get.
[/quote]

That's what I'm saying.. They have to learn a new offense, plus they are expected to contribute right away.

It is not hard to learn the offense over the summer and in fall practice.  I would put money on the fact that these guys all have a playbook as of right now and will be required to learn that playbook before they hit the campus this summer or in the fall. 

Taking JUCO and transfers from FBS schools is a must for a start up program like Lamar.  The first two years will be very important to build a winning tradition for the community so that we will be more inclined to support it.  Southeast Texas hasn't exactly supported all its sports teams in the area, out side of high school football.  Having a WINNING program early is very important for Lamar.  The quickest way to do that is to bring in talented and experienced guys from JUCO and FBS programs. 

After you establish that winning tradition and get your feet on the ground in the SLC, then you taper off on bringing in transfers.  Lamar will probably bring in 5 to 7 transfers a year from there on out.  Those guys have talent from FBS schools, otherwise they would not have signed ship's to FBS schools. 

Lamar's affect on McNeese's recruiting was felt very hard this year.  In the past 7 years, McNeese has brought in at least 5 Texas recruits each year.  Many times that number was over 7 and up to as much as 10.  This year McNeese brought in 2 Texas recruits.  If we can lock down southeast Texas and recruit the Houston area we will have enormous amounts of talent and interest from this area.
I did notice that SFA sign 5 guys from southeast Texas and that stings a bit.  Coach Harper will hound this area in recruiting becasue he knows that they have alot of talent around this area and Lamar poses a big threat on that talent.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder