4A-II Texas Bowl - Aledo vs. Brenham....Aledo Wins The Title!!!!!!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aledo is going to be tough, they average 400 yards of offense a game and 40 points. Johnathon Gray is their workhorse back. However they are very balanced on offense. Their QB Mathew Bishop has a real gun on him, and complete 70% of his passes, he has 2108 yards on the season, 19 Tds and 6 INTs. Gray has 2236 yds and averages over 7.5 yds per carry. The linemen sizes match up fairly well, and these guys hustle off the ball. They average 6'3" and 270+, they appear to be getting in the hours in the weight room too, so this should be hell in the trenches. These boys beat Stephenville twice this year, so they are a team to be reckoned with. They come out of a weak district, but they come out of Region I, which is tough and they have beaten some goo teams in the playoffs, including Stephenville.

Schlottmann is going to have to spread out this defense, and work the corners. Green is going to have to run big in this one. Aledo swarms the football, two and three guys on every tackle. They have five players averaging over 8 tackles per game and three of them in double digits. So they gang tackle, and a real good at it.  Aledo Scores big and gives up very little. However execution and planning will beat ANYONE. I have a lot of confidence in Coach West and his ability to prepare his team for battle. It showed against a very good Tivy team..... 

Aledo is legit...This should be a great game.  Denison was up 21-7 in the 1st Qtr and then Aledo came storming back.  Their soph. running back, Gray, has 54 total TD's this year and is the real deal.  Stack the line to stop him and Bishop will make you pay.....Aledo is well coached and they don't make many mistakes....

Hey I really appreciate the kind words. I really like this site as well; I was steered here by a friend down in Brenham. I enjoy talking about the game, and try to stay out of the baiting that goes on, it's aggravating sometimes, but it's part of the deal, and fully understand it. I can't get enough football, drives my wife crazy, but I was a player when she met me, and I have coached ever since I hung up the cleats. I love working with the kids, teaching them the ins and outs, but I also just enjoy being around it, even after my season is done. I work with a lot of kids in my area, from rival schools and all, but we all have a common goal and that is to get better. I usually work the Aggie Camp every year as well as Jay Novacek's and the Cowboy Camp. I may do Jason Whitten's camp next summer if I can squeeze it in. But as cliche' as it may sound I am here for the love of the game. I just love coaching kids, I had my turn with the grownups, but I can never get enough of the kids. I try my best to show them how to stay in shape, mind, body and soul. I truly believe before you can win, you have to believe you are worthy. I try to call them like I see them, I believe in absolute faith. And I also believe that lack of integrity is a waste of time. Most people want a cop-out,  but hey I'm a realist and I always talk about motivation, talk about all the things it takes to be greater or are important to win or just to be a better person and I hate people that want to use excuses all the time.

Okay I'm off my soap box, but I will leave you with this; If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's gettin' tonight. See ya.......

A little Scouting on the Aledo QB. Matthew Bishop is one of these kids who has been trained to be a quarterback from middle school (and probably earlier). I remember him from the Novacek camp @ NTSU (or UNT as they like to be called now). He learned to QB in the Denton Ryan system, where his father, Lee, was offensive line coach until he was hired at Aledo last spring. His biggest strength is his accuracy, this kid puts the ball in the receivers hands. He's playing behind an offensive line coached by his father, and it doesn't hurt at all that he's handing off to one of the top 4A backs in the state. So expect a lot of play action pass, because you have to respect Gray's great running, and as soon as you start biting on the run too much, Bishop burns you from the air. He has a gun on him, and can take it deep on a rope. The Cubs secondary is going to have to play man coverage and play it tight. If you lay off a couple of yards, you are going to get burned. Buchanan says he's the best QB he's ever coached or seen in 17 years of coaching, and he's seen some good ones.

Mark, thanks for all of your scouting reports and intelligent posts, it has been enjoyable. Many years ago, I played high school ball with someone you probably know in Montgomery, Anthony Alvarez. His son is an offensive lineman for the Bears. He has always been a great guy. This game is something that doesn't happen very often to us or our kids, it is a very exciting and blessed time. GO CUBS!!! Bring the title home to Brenham and Region 3.

Know them both very well. I put 40 pounds of muscle on Nick over the summer. He's come into his own as a right guard. Kid has tremendous work ethic. Chip off the old block. The Alvarez family are really good people and neighbors to boot. Nick will be a saught after player  next season.

Defense is going to be the key to this game from both sides. Control of the line of scrimmage and QB cantainment, plus the corners are going to have to be at the top of their game.  Penetration into the backfield number one on the to do list.

Anthony was a pretty good guard himself back in the old days. Glad to hear that about Nick, I know Anthony is excited. My son Kyler was Brenham's QB two years ago, and I have a junior who was playing corner for the Cubs. Unfortunately, he tore his ACL after week 2 this year, so he has had to enjoy the ride from the sideline while rehabbing. But rehab is going well, he will hopefully be back for most of baseball season.

I agree with you, I think the defenses will be the key. Brenham's offense has come a long way since the Montgomery game. And you are probably well aware, we have a tendency to spend a lot of time in the opponents backfield. If we can limit the big plays, I think we will have a great chance to win this thing. The Aledo team reminds me a little of Montgomery, a great running back and a QB that will hurt you if you give him time. Should be another great game.

[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="730480" timestamp="1260835981"]
A little Scouting on the Aledo QB. Matthew Bishop is one of these kids who has been trained to be a quarterback from middle school (and probably earlier). I remember him from the Novacek camp @ NTSU (or UNT as they like to be called now). He learned to QB in the Denton Ryan system, where his father, Lee, was offensive line coach until he was hired at Aledo last spring. His biggest strength is his accuracy, this kid puts the ball in the receivers hands. He's playing behind an offensive line coached by his father, and it doesn't hurt at all that he's handing off to one of the top 4A backs in the state. So expect a lot of play action pass, because you have to respect Gray's great running, and as soon as you start biting on the run too much, Bishop burns you from the air. He has a gun on him, and can take it deep on a rope. The Cubs secondary is going to have to play man coverage and play it tight. If you lay off a couple of yards, you are going to get burned. [b]Buchanan says he's the best QB he's ever coached or seen in 17 years of coaching, and he's seen some good ones.[/b]
[/quote]

Bishop is really good....He just has that "it" factor, but Coach Buck needs to ease up on that statement.  I know that he's faced some great QB's the last few years from Stephenville alone (Kevin Kolb, Jevan Snead, and Kody Spano). 

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="731186" timestamp="1260937195"]
I'm going to be there, supporting BRENHAM 100%!  ;D
[/quote]
Good Luck Cubs. Yall deserve to win this one. I play for Dayton I am the nose and center... or was :'( i went out early in the game and didnt play much d the rest of the game cause i tore my meniscus and cartilage. but good luck to yall ;) ;)

Good Luck and peedy recovery T.H-Congrads on a great career @Dayton and on all of your awards.We will miss you but my friend D.W will be a beast next year.Hope you have a great college career.Thanks for your hard work ethics.Good Luck to the Cubs-Win State for region 3-Div 2 ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder