NEWTON vs DAINGERFIELD PREDICTIONS

Guest Jmeek

Good post. I don't think we have given the keys to the castle to anyone. If the team that played Silsbee or Kirbyville shows up, we will be OK. Lots of people on here (including some from Newton) never played for Barbay and do not know how up front he is in what he thinks. Hotrodg was right in that Barbay will tell you when other teams are better. He will also tell you when your not very good or not doing your job. He will also try to beat your butt. And has been quite successful with this philosophy. Post what you want, I may not agree all the time, but I won't condemn you for it. And now I'm headed to Beaumont to visit the Kirbyville Wildcats #1 fan that is in the hospital. He does live in Newton county though!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="722805" timestamp="1259851110"]
Good post. I don't think we have given the keys to the castle to anyone. If the team that played Silsbee or Kirbyville shows up, we will be OK. Lots of people on here (including some from Newton) never played for Barbay and do not know how up front he is in what he thinks. Hotrodg was right in that Barbay will tell you when other teams are better. He will also tell you when your not very good or not doing your job. He will also try to beat your butt. And has been quite successful with this philosophy. Post what you want, I may not agree all the time, but I won't condemn you for it. And now I'm headed to Beaumont to visit the Kirbyville Wildcats #1 fan that is in the hospital. He does live in Newton county though!
[/quote]  Your right you never know what team will show up, but I think the Newton Football we know and love will show up saturday, The question is will they show up in the first half, second half or will they stay for the whole game.
          bye the way hope the best for the #1 Kirbyville fan, Get well soon.

I don't know about the players, but it certainly seems some of the fans think Newton is outgunned in this contest.  I will tell you that as a Daingerfield fan this game makes me a little nervous.  I believe Daingerfield is the better team, but as someone else said, the best team does not always win.  Newton is a very good team and very well coached.  They have all the incentive in the world to be "up" for this game, because Daingerfield knocked them out of the playoffs last year. 

I would be interested in getting someone's honest opinion about how Newton matches up with Daingerfield.  Daingerfield is big and fast and loaded at the skilled positions.  Daingerfield's defense is as strong or stronger than it was last year.  They create turnovers (10 takeaways in 3 playoff games) and score off those turnovers (6 defensive touchdowns in 3 playoff games). 

I believe Newton will be able to run the ball some and maybe hit a big pass or two off of the play action.  Daingerfield blitzes a lot, and sometimes they can get caught in an all out blitz, like the 75 yard toucdown pass EC scored on.  Noone was home in the middle of the field and it was just pitch and catch.  But, they also create a lot of negative plays (tackles for losses, sacks, turnovers).  Sort of a high risk, high reward defense. 

Anyone with thoughts on how Newton will match up?

[quote name="franksnbeans" post="722862" timestamp="1259855584"]
I don't know about the players, but it certainly seems some of the fans think Newton is outgunned in this contest.  I will tell you that as a Daingerfield fan this game makes me a little nervous.  I believe Daingerfield is the better team, but as someone else said, the best team does not always win.  Newton is a very good team and very well coached.  They have all the incentive in the world to be "up" for this game, because Daingerfield knocked them out of the playoffs last year. 

I would be interested in getting someones honest opinion about how Newton matches up with Daingerfield.  Daingerfield is big and fast and loaded at the skilled positions.  Daingerfield's defense is as strong or stronger than it was last year.  They create turnovers (10 takeaways in 3 playoff games) and score off those turnovers (6 defensive touchdowns in 3 playoff games). 

I believe Newton will be able to run the ball some and maybe hit a big pass or two off of the play action.  Daingerfield blitzes a lot, and sometimes they can get caught in an all out blitz, like the 75 yard toucdown pass EC scored on.  Noone was home in the middle of the field and it was just pitch and catch.  But, they also create a lot of negative plays (tackles for losses, sacks, turnovers).  Sort of a high risk, high reward defense. 

[/quote] Newton matches up very well with Dangerfield, They don't have as many players on the sideline as Dfield does, but they do have just as many athletes and playmakers as Dfield does on the field. Only thing Newton Fans are worried about is which team will show up saturday, Newton sometimes shows up to games expecting to win and they play on the same level as there competition. When they play a good team like Kville they play good Newton Football. Its is just going to be interesting to see what team shows up.
          I think these two teams match up very well Newton averages 43 points a game and so does Dfield, Newton gives up 17points a game and Dfield gives up 9. I believe this will be a defensive show down much like last year, whoever turns the ball over less will win the game.

[center]Newton
Avg. Points Scored/Game: 43.85
Avg. Points Allowed/Game: 17.31[/center]

[center]Daingerfield
Avg. Points Scored/Game: 43.61
Avg. Points Allowed/Game: 9.61[/center]

Team Off        Rush/Game      Pass/Game     Total/Game
Newton            299                62                361
Daingerfield       211               127               338

Team  Def       Rush/Game      Pass/Game     Total/Game
Newton             160                 71               231
Daingerfield        95                 116               212

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722918" timestamp="1259861807"]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

UH OH..!!!  Not as much difference as you thought huh daingerfield.... If Newton plays the way the stats show & daingerfield plays the same way..If I was daingerfield I wouldn't invite Uncle Fred to the game to watch them win.... ;D ;D

[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="722954" timestamp="1259865321"]
[quote author=Jcmeek83 link=topic=63054.msg722918#msg722918 date=1259861807]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

UH OH..!!!   Not as much difference as you thought huh daingerfield.... If Newton plays the way the stats show & daingerfield plays the same way..If I was daingerfield I wouldn't invite Uncle Fred to the game to watch them win.... ;D ;D
[/quote]Yea and you could add about 14 or more points to that offesive average, Barbay has tried his best not to run up the score all year. A couple of games this year Barbay has punted and kicked fieldgoals on first down in the 3rd qrt to keep from running up the score.

[quote name="franksnbeans" post="722862" timestamp="1259855584"]

I would be interested in getting someone's honest opinion about how Newton matches up with Daingerfield.  Daingerfield is big and fast and loaded at the skilled positions.  Daingerfield's defense is as strong or stronger than it was last year.  They create turnovers (10 takeaways in 3 playoff games) and score off those turnovers (6 defensive touchdowns in 3 playoff games). 

[/quote]

You have it pretty much right.  Daingerfield has two edges that makes them the better team in my mind.  One is relatively minor, one is potentially huge.  The first edge is size.  This is not a big of a deal as Newton historically is a bit on the small size as compared to the other teams at the same level particularly on the line.  This is minor though as they also tend to be quicker and use that as an advantage which tends to even out.  Those smaller linemen can generally move well and you see lots of pulling blocks, traps, defensive stunts, etc.

Now the other is consistency on defense.  Newton has a new DC this year and the D has not consistently performed at the level Newton is accustomed to, that may or may not be the DC.  At times the defense has looked very good and at times very sloppy.  If the sloppy version shows up this week it will be a long day.  The good news for Eagle fans is the D has tended to play to the competition.  All said this is likely the key to the outcome of the game.

In terms of the matchup:  Newton will be successful in the ground game.  Barring fumbled snaps or the like this is an area where Newton excels on sheer execution.  They'll also likely have a few big play action passes for long gains.  The passing game is not as dangerous as what DF saw in this game last year.  The same quality is not there at the WR position.

As for fans that think Newton is outgunned...  Yep many of us happen to be well educated on football and have watched our Eagles through enough deep playoff runs to be able to look at things with an honest, critical eye.  We've watched Newton beat teams that were better than them.  We've watched teams we were better than send us home too.  We understand that is championship level football.  Being good is not enough.  I also thought DF was the better team last year.  But anyone with even a small amount football knowledge and looks at that game objectively (I think based on your posts you fall in this group) knows that the margin could have EASILY been 14 points different in either direction.  I think this year's matchup is similar.  DF comes in as the favorite but the outcome is far from a foregone conclusion.  I think DF has played at this level long enough not to make the mistake of taking any team in the quarterfinals for granted and especially not one like Newton.  My pick is DF but it will once again be a ballgame.

[quote name="Treetopjump" post="722972" timestamp="1259867211"]
If D-field kept their starters in the whole game like you guys have done the whole year the stats would blow your mind.......Thats why I said stats don't matter....thank you again coming from 17-2a!!!!!!!!
[/quote] We do pull starters out  midway through the 3rd qrt in a blowout, The stats show th truth.

Passing                        Name                             Com   Att   Yds   TD   Int
[color=purple]Newton- Halston Flanigan                  31    69    814    7     8 [/color]
[color=blue]Dain.-    Tyler Boyd                            73   134   1273   19    2 [/color]

Rushing
              Name             Rushes   Yds   Yd/Att  TD
[color=purple]Newton-Kelvin Bennett       170     1650   9.71    21
Newton-Jeremy Jackson      130     1267   9.75    15  
Newton- LaRay Alfred          33      348    10.55    3 [/color] [color=blue]
Dain.-Koko Smith               151     1088    7.21    17
Dain.-Tyler Smith              128      685     5.35     7 [/color]

Receiving
              Name               Rec.   Yds.    Yd/Rec  TD
[color=purple]Newton-Desmond Beatty     12     336       28.0     5
Newton-Tim Simmons           7      214      30.6     1  [/color]
[color=blue]Dain.-Chris Jones               22      430      19.6     5
Dain.-Keyarris Garrett         15      229      15.3     6
[/color]  

Jackson has 19 less carries and more yards it has nothing to do with keeping in starters the whole game, and bennett has only played in one playoff game due to a injury in week 10. I really wish Laray could come back for this one but I know if he does he will not be 100%. he has been out since week 4. are passing game is a concern but Halston has look really good the last couple of week, He is throwing the ball better now then he has all season he getting that touch back he had last year.

[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="722954" timestamp="1259865321"]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

UH OH..!!!   Not as much difference as you thought huh daingerfield.... If Newton plays the way the stats show & daingerfield plays the same way..If I was daingerfield I wouldn't invite Uncle Fred to the game to watch them win.... ;D ;D
[/quote]

Those stats are not even close to right for Daingerfield.  Someone needs to do some more research.  Daingerfield does not give up that many passing yards per game.  

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722918" timestamp="1259861807"]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

You can take about 70 yards off those passing yards allowed by daingerfield, it's about 58 yards per game, and the bulk of that coming against Gilmer.  That would make our defense giving up about 153 total yds per game.  Your padding the stats to give yourself hope, that's commendable.

[quote name="franksnbeans" post="722993" timestamp="1259869379"]
[quote author=~old_wildcat~ link=topic=63054.msg722954#msg722954 date=1259865321]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

[/quote]

Those stats are not even close to right for Daingerfield.  Someone needs to do some more research.  Daingerfield does not give up that many passing yards per game.  
[/quote]
Those are the real stats look them up yourself if you don't Belevie me, Gilmer hit ya up for some passing yards that was one of the games

[quote name="Hotrodg" post="722981" timestamp="1259868356"]
[quote author=franksnbeans link=topic=63054.msg722862#msg722862 date=1259855584]

[/quote]

You have it pretty much right.  Daingerfield has two edges that makes them the better team in my mind.  One is relatively minor, one is potentially huge.  The first edge is size.  This is not a big of a deal as Newton historically is a bit on the small size as compared to the other teams at the same level particularly on the line.  This is minor though as they also tend to be quicker and use that as an advantage which tends to even out.  Those smaller linemen can generally move well and you see lots of pulling blocks, traps, defensive stunts, etc.

Now the other is consistency on defense.  Newton has a new DC this year and the D has not consistently performed at the level Newton is accustomed to, that may or may not be the DC.  At times the defense has looked very good and at times very sloppy.  If the sloppy version shows up this week it will be a long day.  The good news for Eagle fans is the D has tended to play to the competition.  All said this is likely the key to the outcome of the game.

In terms of the matchup:  Newton will be successful in the ground game.  Barring fumbled snaps or the like this is an area where Newton excels on sheer execution.  They'll also likely have a few big play action passes for long gains.  The passing game is not as dangerous as what DF saw in this game last year.  The same quality is not there at the WR position.

As for fans that think Newton is outgunned...  Yep many of us happen to be well educated on football and have watched our Eagles through enough deep playoff runs to be able to look at things with an honest, critical eye.  We've watched Newton beat teams that were better than them.  We've watched teams we were better than send us home too.  We understand that is championship level football.  Being good is not enough.  I also thought DF was the better team last year.  But anyone with even a small amount football knowledge and looks at that game objectively (I think based on your posts you fall in this group) knows that the margin could have EASILY been 14 points different in either direction.  I think this year's matchup is similar.  DF comes in as the favorite but the outcome is far from a foregone conclusion.  I think DF has played at this level long enough not to make the mistake of taking any team in the quarterfinals for granted and especially not one like Newton.  My pick is DF but it will once again be a ballgame.
[/quote]

Great Post... I appeciate your thoughts.  I can't disagree with anything you wrote.  

[quote name="JAKEBRAKE" post="722994" timestamp="1259869416"]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

You can take about 70 yards off those passing yards allowed by daingerfield, it's about 58 yards per game, and the bulk of that coming against Gilmer.  That would make our defense giving up about 153 total yds per game.  Your padding the stats to give yourself hope, that's commendable.
[/quote]
I don't pad stats man, I take real stats with realible sources. I tell it how it is I do not show favortism.

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722996" timestamp="1259869514"]
[quote author=franksnbeans link=topic=63054.msg722993#msg722993 date=1259869379]
[quote author=~old_wildcat~ link=topic=63054.msg722954#msg722954 date=1259865321]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

Team Off        Rush/Game      Pass/Game     Total/Game

[/quote]

UH OH..!!!   Not as much difference as you thought huh daingerfield.... If Newton plays the way the stats show & daingerfield plays the same way..If I was daingerfield I wouldn't invite Uncle Fred to the game to watch them win.... ;D ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]
Those are the real stats look them up yourself if you don't Belevie me, Gilmer hit ya up for some passing yards that was one of the games
[/quote]

Those are not the real stats.  I did look them up.  

Atlanta had 122 yards passing against Daingerfield.
Pewitt: 35
Celina: 68
Commerce: 75
Gilmer: 216
H.S.: 60
LK.: 11
Jeff: 14
O.C.: 23
Q.C.: negative 4
N.D.: negative 6
Garrison: 10
E.C.: 130

Those are the real stats.  Go look them up.  Not sure where setx got the average, and I'm not trying to start anything.  I'm just trying to inform.  

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722999" timestamp="1259869627"]
[quote author=JAKEBRAKE link=topic=63054.msg722994#msg722994 date=1259869416]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't pad stats man, I take real stats with realible sources. I tell it how it is I do not show favortism.
[/quote]

Then tell your reliable source to put the bong down.

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722996" timestamp="1259869514"]
[quote author=franksnbeans link=topic=63054.msg722993#msg722993 date=1259869379]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Gilmer does that to everyone.  No shame in giving up 216 yards passing to one of the best offenses in the state at any class. 

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722986" timestamp="1259868784"]
[quote author=Treetopjump link=topic=63054.msg722972#msg722972 date=1259867211]
If D-field kept their starters in the whole game like you guys have done the whole year the stats would blow your mind.......Thats why I said stats don't matter....thank you again coming from 17-2a!!!!!!!!
[/quote] We do pull starters out  midway through the 3rd qrt in a blowout, The stats show th truth.

Passing                        Name                             Com   Att   Yds   TD   Int
[color=purple]Newton- Halston Flanigan                  31    69    814    7     8 [/color]
[color=blue]Dain.-    Tyler Boyd                            73   134   1273   19    2 [/color]

Rushing
              Name             Rushes   Yds   Yd/Att  TD
[color=purple]Newton-Kelvin Bennett       170     1650   9.71    21
Newton-Jeremy Jackson      130     1267   9.75    15  
Newton- LaRay Alfred          33      348    10.55    3 [/color] [color=blue]
Dain.-Koko Smith               151     1088    7.21    17
Dain.-Tyler Smith              128      685     5.35     7 [/color]

Receiving
              Name               Rec.   Yds.    Yd/Rec  TD
[color=purple]Newton-Desmond Beatty     12     336       28.0     5
Newton-Tim Simmons           7      214      30.6     1  [/color]
[color=blue]Dain.-Chris Jones               22      430      19.6     5
Dain.-Keyarris Garrett         15      229      15.3     6
[/color]  

Jackson has 19 less carries and more yards it has nothing to do with keeping in starters the whole game, and bennett has only played in one playoff game due to a injury in week 10. I really wish Laray could come back for this one but I know if he does he will not be 100%. he has been out since week 4. are passing game is a concern but Halston has look really good the last couple of week, He is throwing the ball better now then he has all season he getting that touch back he had last year.
[/quote]Why post stats if you just don't know them....Koko has 1213 yards........147 carries..........22TDs ...........there is know one from D-field named Tyler Smith.......Were are you getting your information from??????????? Gotta love 17-2a BIG BABY!!!!!!!                                                                                

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="722999" timestamp="1259869627"]
[quote author=JAKEBRAKE link=topic=63054.msg722994#msg722994 date=1259869416]
[center]Newton

[center]Daingerfield

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I bet if we wanted to look hard enough, the stats you put out there for Newton are incorrect.  All that matters is that come Saturday at 2:00 the score is 0-0 and the loser goes home, throw the stats out the window, or not, makes no nevermind to us or our boys.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder