Dayton players save couple from flames

cutt

By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published November 25, 2009
DAYTON — They’re football players, not firemen, but the four Dayton football players didn’t hesitate to spring into action to help in a life-or-death situation.

And after missing a playoff game because of injuries he received while helping free a couple from their burning truck, Bronco defensive tackle N.L. Hines said he’d do it all again.

“Yeah, if I had to,” he said Tuesday. “It’s a good deed. I wasn’t really expecting us to get anything out of it.”

Hines and fellow seniors Aaron Jenkins, Victor Blanco and Theo Edwards didn’t even get the names of the couple they rescued around midnight the night of Nov. 7.

What they got was a big helping of their coach’s respect.

“Any time you get a human being reacting the right way, maybe athletics had something to do with that,” Dayton head coach Jerry Stewart said. “That’s what it’s supposed to be about.

“A lot of kids would have turned tail and gone the other way. These kids reacted.”

The accident report has not yet been completed, said a woman who answered the phone at the Department of Public Safety office Tuesday.

But she indicated the crash victims had been transported immediately from the scene to a Baytown hospital, then transferred by Life Flight to Houston with burns over most of their bodies.

There was no way Tuesday to track the condition of the man and woman that Hines guessed were in their 30s.

Hines received first- and second-degree burns on his side and back, nothing life threatening, but enough to keep him from playing in Dayton’s bidistrict win over Vidor.

Blanco, a defensive back who was already out for the season with a knee injury, was also injured. He received minor burns and was cut by a piece of the window glass that he, Jenkins and Hines kicked repeatedly until it broke, freeing the victims of the overturned truck.

“We had to rush Victor to the hospital. He had some glass in his leg,” Hines said. “Fortunately, he came out fine.”

The day had started with Dayton’s football team winning their final regular season football game 36-2 over Austin LBJ. After traveling back from Austin, the players unwound that evening at a get-together at a teammate’s house west of Dayton.

“We were leaving to go home and Aaron and Victor saw a truck flipped over on (County Road) 4906,” Hines said.

“I didn’t know what was happening. I saw people trapped inside who were asking for help, so we ran down. We tried to bust the glass, but it was shatterproof glass.”

The players didn’t give up.

“Theo was calling the cops, but he didn’t know where we were, so Aaron ran over to help him. Victor was kicking the glass when I got a real strong smell of gas,” Hines said.

“I said ‘I smell gas. We’ve got to think fast and hurry up and get this glass out.’

“The glass started to crack where one of the victims was kicking it. The gas smell got stronger, so I started to turn around and some gas popped up and hit me in the back. Glass hit Victor in the leg.

“We kicked the glass out and the people got out. They ran to someone else’s house and ran to the hospital.”

Blanco was not at Dayton’s practice Tuesday to talk about the incident. Edwards, a Bronco linebacker, said he’d do only one thing different if ever faced with the same circumstances.

“I’d be a lot quicker,” he said.

Jenkins explained:

“The car blowing up was the last thing on my mind,” the defensive end said. “I turned my back (to help Edwards with the 9-1-1 call) and the next thing I know, the car’s on fire and I’m rushing my friend (Blanco) to the hospital.”

As it turned out, the only negative for the players was Hines missing the bidistrict game.

But the 5-10, 205-pounder responded a week later by getting three quarterback sacks in Dayton’s 41-3 area-round win over Waller.

Friday night, the Broncos play El Campo in a Region III semifinal game at 7 p.m. at Houston’s Tully Stadium.

“That was one of my better games,” he said of his night’s work against Waller. “I was glad to be back and I did not want to lose. I want to play as much as I can since it’s my last year.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story makes me prouder than any game they have ever played!!!
These young men are true heros- on, and more importantly, [u]OFF THE FIELD[/u]!!!
What a truly happy thanksgiving the victims of this accident will have because of our boys!!!
I give thanks to you 4 young men for entertaining me these last few years and for having the spirit and heart to do what it takes to get the job done on and off the field!!!

Hat's off for these great young men for doing such a selfless act, to save lives. N.L. Hines, Aaron Jenkins, Victor Blanco and Theo Edwards you all should be very proud, just a really great thing you guys have done. Just can't say it enough, great job gentleman. Not many people have the courage to do what the four of you did that night. You went out of your way at great personal risk to help another human being in need without any moral or legal obligation to do so. Many adults these days would look the other way or merely call 911 and expect a accolade. You men chose to act and save lives. The military calls people like that hero's. I'm sure your families, school, church, and entire community are very proud.

[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="717828" timestamp="1259207014"]
Hat's off for these great young men for doing such a selfless act, to save lives. N.L. Hines, Aaron Jenkins, Victor Blanco and Theo Edwards you all should be very proud, just a really great thing you guys have done. Just can't say it enough, great job gentleman. Not many people have the courage to do what the four of you did that night. You went out of your way at great personal risk to help another human being in need without any moral or legal obligation to do so. Many adults these days would look the other way or merely call 911 and expect a accolade. You men chose to act and save lives. The military calls people like that hero's. I'm sure your families, school, church, and entire community are very proud.
[/quote]

I think the people that are proud of these young men reach even farther than their community. As a father I can tell you that you boys are an example of the type of young men I'm trying to raise. Thanks for being a good example for my 9 and 10 year olds. We never know when we are being role models and who we are being role models to. We live in Orange and will probably never meet but my boys have read your story they think that yall are very cool for saving the couple. Again thanks for setting a good example for all of us.

The Parents of these Young Heros must be beside themselves with Pride and Respect. Pride in the Great Decision their Sons made to Help Strangers in need; while putting aside their own safety; and Respect for these MEN that they have Raised. These Men make the World a Better Place. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for Giving of Yourselves so Un-selfishly. God Loves N.L. Hines, Aaron Jenkins, Victor Blanco and Theo Edwards.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476