Helmets and shoes flying off, whats the deal?

bronco1

Most helmets would stay on if they would just get a freaking hair cut! ;D mostly in the pros!

Is that the reason? No but really, i dont think they button their dang chinstraps anymore.

I know that I had some issues early in the season.  It happened with different brands of chinstraps.  Some of the issue is hair.  Other thing that contribute is properly fitting the chin strap and the helmet to the athlete. Todays helmets can be adjusted for fit.  However, you have to check fit all the time.  The helmet can lose air, the kid can "adjust" the chinstrap or the snap can strip the vinyl material of the strap which allows the snap to slip.  This issue is a big concern at all levels.  I know that the U of H has change all of the chinstrap snaps to a different brand.  I have tested some new ones and they are holding. 

I have heard that the NFL is about to start fining players $1500 (each infraction) if they  do not  buckle all 4 of the snaps.  If the kids see them wearing all of them, that will help.  I always hear "well (insert NFL Player) doesn't do it" 

And on the hair, when you have to go up a helmet size, it does  not fit and will come off.

My $.02

Guest pirates

I know that a few years back Vidor had a problem with the kids.  The helmets that most schools use now are PRO-AIR, which is a helmet that is pump up with air to give the athlete the best possible protection.  Keep something in mind now, if a helmet is to do it's job it may not be comfortable.  The kids would, after the coaches checked the helmets let some of the air out.  This caused a big problem, either the helmets would easily get knocked off or as in Vidor's case, they seen a rash of concussions.

Guest ECBucFan

No but really, i dont think they button their dang chinstraps anymore.

And we have a winner!

Some players LOVE to have that 2nd strap unbuckled, just to be seen with it flopping around when they run. HS through NFL.  ::)

I agree.... They need to tie those shoes and buckle the straps...Some kids would rather look good than be safe!

it's not always about the looks...

it's usually about how it feels on the side of your head...

but i agree... atleast make the helmet where you can barely get it on and off without it hurting your ears and rubbing the hair...

Kids not snapping thier chin straps isn't the problem. (well most of the time) It's an equipment problem.  About 8 to 10 years ago the snaps changed from all meatal to mostly plastic with a metal ring inside.  It worked ok but broke. A lot. About 5 years ago no more metal ring all plastic. They warp and get stripped and even when they are new they don't hold as well.  But they have one big advantage they are cheap to make and cheaper to buy. But then again, i've been wrong before, that's just my experience with the issue.

Revolution helmets are horrible with concussions. I heard somewhere that they are actually having more concussions as a result of that helmet than they do with the Riddell helmet. A lot of schools are going away from the revolution from what I can tell.

riddell makes the revolution.

Oh sorry. I was thinking of another brand, maybe I was thinking of Schutt?  I don't know, but the revolution looks pretty to the kids but its not a good helmet imo.

i wore one when i played and honestly i wore it because it was alot more comfortable that the other helmets...

Revolution helmets dont even feel like you are smashing heads with them on... but the others feel rock hard on the inside...

idk how they would cause more concussions than others... but that'd be interesting to find out and the reasons why...

Oh sorry. I was thinking of another brand, maybe I was thinking of Schutt?  I don't know, but the revolution looks pretty to the kids but its not a good helmet imo.

i wore one when i played and honestly i wore it because it was alot more comfortable that the other helmets...

Revolution helmets dont even feel like you are smashing heads with them on... but the others feel rock hard on the inside...

idk how they would cause more concussions than others... but that'd be interesting to find out and the reasons why...

same. ive worn both the revolution and the dna by schutt and i would take the revolution any day, especially the new models.

Kids not snapping thier chin straps isn't the problem. (well most of the time) It's an equipment problem.  About 8 to 10 years ago the snaps changed from all meatal to mostly plastic with a metal ring inside.  It worked ok but broke. A lot. About 5 years ago no more metal ring all plastic. They warp and get stripped and even when they are new they don't hold as well.  But they have one big advantage they are cheap to make and cheaper to buy. But then again, i've been wrong before, that's just my experience with the issue.

Schutt makes a plastic hybrid snap the has metal teeth to grip the strap and the metal snap.  It is hard to snap and you have to go through several to find a set that will work

Riddell has a plastic one that has a metal snap attached to a plastic slide.  It works ok, however it will still get knocked off of the top button.  I refuse to use the riddell all metal snaps, They bend easily and do not hold as well.

Sports Star make an metal snap that is very good.  It holds well and does not slide down the strap.  I an slowly converting to those.  The problem is cost(if you want to call that a problem), They run about 5$ a set.  There at several NFL and College teams that are buying those snaps.  I figure if people that have everything given to them buy something it is worth looking into.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder