How much authority does the school have

Guest JustAPlayersMom

Guest JustAPlayersMom

After reading all the post about the WOS incident I am curious about something.

How much authority does the school board have to discipline kids when they "misbehave" (for like of a better word) and it is done away from school and after school hours?

Example - My son gets arrested for a DWI on Saturday night.  He spends the weekend in jail and goes back to school Monday morning.  Does the school board have the right to step in and say okay you are suspended for the next two weeks because you were charged with drunk driving?

What if the incident does not involve going to jail.  Say he was caught sending naked pictures of himself with his girlfriends mother to his football buddies to brag about the incident.  Ganted he is in trouble with momma but does the school board get to punish him as well.

I honestly wonder where we draw the line in letting a school board be the ones to discipline our children.  I promise you one thing, I don't need any help in the discipline department. 

Guest rykerx144

How much authority does the school board have to discipline kids when they "misbehave" (for like of a better word) and it is done away from school and after school hours?

Example - My son gets arrested for a DWI on Saturday night.  He spends the weekend in jail and goes back to school Monday morning.  Does the school board have the right to step in and say okay you are suspended for the next two weeks because you were charged with drunk driving?

What if the incident does not involve going to jail.  Say he was caught sending naked pictures of himself with his girlfriends mother to his football buddies to brag about the incident.  Ganted he is in trouble with momma but does the school board get to punish him as well.

I honestly wonder where we draw the line in letting a school board be the ones to discipline our children.  I promise you one thing, I don't need any help in the discipline department. 

if they are charged with a crime, Yes!  The school has guidelines within the Texas Education Code that allows them to discipline a child.  In  some cases, depending on how the severe the charge is,  it requires them to discipline the child.  It does not matter when the child was arrested or whether it happend on school property in most cases.  The punishment is enhanced in some cases if it does happen on school or near school property. 

In some cases even if there is not charges filed or it is not a criminal offense if the school determines the child to be a danger to other student or property it could take actions even if it did not happen on school property during school hours. 

There are several guidelines that a school has to follow when dealing with a situation like this.  There is also alot of jurisdiction within these guidelines and the Education Code that give the school the right to take actions against juveniles whether or not it was on school property or during school hours.  Lets not forget these things were changed to assist the schools in dealing with situations to help them avoid another Columbine!  I realize that this has nothing to do with that situation and is totally different but before you go bashing these regulations don't forget what other purposes they serve!!! 

Our society in general has moved away from taking responsibility for one's actions to looking for someone to blame for one's actions. Kids, adults, all the same. My wife has taught elementary school for 34 years and in that time the school and the school district have been continually given more and more responsibility for not only the academic status but the social teachings of students. They are given directives to mentor kids from the time they are born until they are adults. Parents, in many cases, have shifted the difficult task of teaching kids right from wrong to anyone else but themselves. Then our all knowing government tries to legislate an answer for every possibility of wrong doing(hence the response of laws since Columbine). These laws in many cases do reach into the "private life" time of students and parents by the school district. In many cases these laws are enforced unevenly or sporadically in different communities. All the while the "Columbines" continue. Anyone ever think maybe the direction we have taken as a society could be wrong?

Who knows what the real story is as of now.  I've heard 3 different scenarios of what happened, but regardless of what happened I don't see what the school can do until there legal matter that takes over.  If it happened off campus, not during school hours, and the law isn't involved, I don't think it should be a school issue.  If and when the law gets involved then they can talk suspension and so forth.  Until then I think the WOS district is making a mistake.

I don't know what the situation is with WOS, but I know some schools also have consequences for moral issues.  Several years ago a girl was not allowed to try out for cheerleader at a local school because it was found out that she had had an abortion.  That school said that she would be in leadership and would not let her try out.  Right?  Wrong?  I have an opinion, but I will keep it to myself.

Guest pirates

Most athletic programs has a "Code of Conduct".  In the Code, I have seen guidelines around non school activities.  The kids agree to it by signing the agreement slip and they are full aware of it.  If they want to do mischievous things then they either do not sign the agreement slip, and in that case they will not be allowed to play or they sign the agreement slip and hope they do not get caught.  Most school districts now have drug testing policies, same thing, either the kids agree drug testing or they do not play.

Look at it this way.

I took a photo of your daughter or son with my camera.  That day I went and had them developed. The next day I took one of the copies to school and showed a couple of buddys......The photo was of your daughter or son in all their glory. 

A phone has memory. You can save a photo and pull it up any time you want to. A teenager will think about the photo every 5 seconds......Ya think?  Its going to be pulled up about every 10 seconds....Ya think?

Having a photo like that on your phone is the same as taking as bringing a Playboy Mag to school and opening it up every 10 seconds.....Ya think?

unfortunately, both of your examples would get the schools attention and result in some sort of discipline.  IMO, the schools jobs ends when the bell rings.  I take raising my kid very seriously.  He would much rather be punished through the school than by me.  Politics have taken over everywhere.

Look at it this way.

I took a photo of your daughter or son with my camera.  That day I went and had them developed. The next day I took one of the copies to school and showed a couple of buddys......The photo was of your daughter or son in all their glory. 

A phone has memory. You can save a photo and pull it up any time you want to. A teenager will think about the photo every 5 seconds......Ya think?  Its going to be pulled up about every 10 seconds....Ya think?

Having a photo like that on your phone is the same as taking as bringing a Playboy Mag to school and opening it up every 10 seconds.....Ya think?

At school, yes I think it should be banned and punishment should be given.  ya think?

At home it's none of the schools business.  YA think?

Joking aside, the digital phones can tarnish a reputation very quickly.  It should be up to the parent NOT the school to teach them about ethics and common sense.

Look at it this way.

At school, yes I think it should be banned and punishment should be given.  ya think?

Joking aside, the digital phones can tarnish a reputation very quickly.  It should be up to the parent NOT the school to teach them about ethics and common sense.

Unless the girlfriends mother happens to be a teacher at the school.  :o

And these things have happened.  :o

Look at it this way.

When I was a teen my mom came up and said, "Son I need to talk to you about something I found in your room."

I said, "Mom, the beer isnt mine--its my friends."

She said, "No.......Im talking about the magazine!"

Double the trouble!  ;D

It happend at home and she took care of it.  If it happens at School- the school will handle it....then the parents.

Look at it this way.

When I was a teen my mom came up and said, "Son I need to talk to you about something I found in your room."

Double the trouble!  ;D

It happend at home and she took care of it.  If it happens at School- the school will handle it....then the parents.

ROFLMBO---you should have stayed with the National Geographics---they worked for me.  LOL

Look at it this way.

Double the trouble!  ;D

Thanks FUNNY........I think everyone has had a similar situation.

For the most part ya'll have no idea what is considered appropriate for schools to do these days. By your post you think these things are up to the parents to decide. Wrong. These "guidelines" are already in use and supported by the state. I too think there needs to be a return to parents disciplining their kids. The reality is that a lot of young parents have come to expect that the schools provide moral and ethic education as well as academics. This is easy in that the parents don't have to be the heavy in the childs world and can be their "friend". And it lends itself to "blaming" someone else when things go wrong. The blame needs to start within the person first.

Google "Texas Education Code Chapter 37".  That chapter deals with discipline and safe schools.  Also look at your district's policy handbook.  Policies followed by (legal) are mirrors of the Tx. Ed. Code.  Policies followed by (local) are local policies.

Guest Silsbee88

unfortunately, both of your examples would get the schools attention and result in some sort of discipline.  IMO, the schools jobs ends when the bell rings.  I take raising my kid very seriously.  He would much rather be punished through the school than by me.  Politics have taken over everywhere.

Believe me when I say this Chippy, you are very much in the minority in this department.  Most schools have all these rules to deal with the ones that parents do not even know where their children are half the time.  So, before we start with all the schools jobs ends when the bell rings, look around and see how all this could affect your child.  Phones with cameras will get you in some very deep trouble.  And as for politics, they have been around since before the first rule or law was made......someone always feels they have been slighted in some form or fashion. 

Believe me when I say this Chippy, you are very much in the minority in this department.  Most schools have all these rules to deal with the ones that parents do not even know where their children are half the time.  So, before we start with all the schools jobs ends when the bell rings, look around and see how all this could affect your child.  Phones with cameras will get you in some very deep trouble.  And as for politics, they have been around since before the first rule or law was made......someone always feels they have been slighted in some form or fashion. 

I would agree with you on all your points, but that does not change what should be versus what is.

1.  When I got in trouble in school, I was worried about what my parents would take away.  That was from grade school to high school....and dang near to college  ;D .  I would race home to make sure I told them first, shame on me if they found out through someone else besides me!

2.  They knew where I was at every moment. They called and followed up to make sure I was were I told them.

3.  They asked to see my grades and knew weeks ahead when they would come out. They gave me warnings if I was not A or B, I had 2-4 weeks before grades.  They cared!!  Although, I didn't like it back then.

My Dad was a good friend although I was scared as hell of him if I did something wrong.

Well, it's 2009 and I have a son of my own.  He's 8 and very independent and hard headed.  A duplicate of his Father.  I pray that he makes better choices than I did (and I did OK, no criminal record  ;D )  I want him to be perfect and I am always teaching life lessons.  I'm no superman and I make mistakes. I am living proof that in 2009 I don't need the government or the school to raise my child.  As a matter of fact, I resent them even trying. As far as I'm concerned, the school does stop after the bell rings because I don't need them!!

P.S.  As a disclaimer, I do respect teachers and think they are under paid.

Guest Silsbee88

I would agree with you on all your points, but that does not change what should be versus what is.

1.  When I got in trouble in school, I was worried about what my parents would take away.  That was from grade school to high school....and dang near to college  ;D .  I would race home to make sure I told them first, shame on me if they found out through someone else besides me!

2.  They knew where I was at every moment. They called and followed up to make sure I was were I told them.

3.  They asked to see my grades and knew weeks ahead when they would come out. They gave me warnings if I was not A or B, I had 2-4 weeks before grades.  They cared!!  Although, I didn't like it back then.

My Dad was a good friend although I was scared as heck of him if I did something wrong.

Well, it's 2009 and I have a son of my own.  He's 8 and very independent and hard headed.  A duplicate of his Father.  I pray that he makes better choices than I did (and I did OK, no criminal record  ;D )  I want him to be perfect and I am always teaching life lessons.  I'm no superman and I make mistakes. I am living proof that in 2009 I don't need the government or the school to raise my child.  As a matter of fact, I resent them even trying. As far as I'm concerned, the school does stop after the bell rings because I don't need them!!

I agree and if you stay involved in your childs life, for you school will stop when the bell rings..... I have a son, 14 and a daughter 12 and I was raised the same as you and I have the same expectations of mine.  We had rules etc when I was in school, not near as many as we do today, but we had alot of additional expectations from our coaches.  This included anything we got into after school or on weekends.  And after my coaches got done, I still had to deal with my parents.  THIS IS NOT THE CASE SO MUCH ANYMORE.  We have come to a society where parents want to defend their kids actions instead of holding them more accountable.

My Dad was a good friend although I was scared as heck of him if I did something wrong.

I agree and if you stay involved in your childs life, for you school will stop when the bell rings..... I have a son, 14 and a daughter 12 and I was raised the same as you and I have the same expectations of mine.  We had rules etc when I was in school, not near as many as we do today, but we had alot of additional expectations from our coaches.  This included anything we got into after school or on weekends.  And after my coaches got done, I still had to deal with my parents.  THIS IS NOT THE CASE SO MUCH ANYMORE.  We have come to a society where parents want to defend their kids actions instead of holding them more accountable.

The last sentence you wrote is definately the TRUTH... "Society where parents want to defend their KIDS actions instead of Holding them Accountable.

I see that all the time.  My kid tried it on me a couple times...."the teacher don't like me".  I tell him that's going to happen from time to time throughout life.  You must go back to school and figure out a way to "get along".  She/He don't have to like you, they just have to teach you.  I had a talk with the teacher and found out what was going on. I supported the teacher. My kid never knew I had that talk and I will never tell him. Too many parents want to blame the teachers for the child's screw ups. All they are raising is an excuse maker.........

All teaching is some of the time is a full time babysitting job.  Some parents just send their kids off to school because they have to, they don't care what they do, what grades they make, or if they are even getting anything out of it.  Teachers are expected to be miracle workers in many cases, and educate kids they have no ambition, drive, and don't even want to be there.  At home, its kind of like "what happens at school stays at school."  When trouble starts and problems come up (grades, discipline) its the teachers fault.  Throw in the pay and it sure ain't worth the headaches you have to put up with.

Chippy and 88 are both correct on this one.  Good posts.  Love your kids enough to hug them and lay down the law.  I just dont like the fact that I loose sleep over the type of things that are happening around our kids. The age of innocence is gone.

You are NOT KIDDING.  It's a different world today versus 20 years ago. The digital age has helped and hurt us!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder