Serious Question That Requires Serious Input

Guest DickVitale

Yes the Legacys and Kellys, the St. Pius and the St. Thomas, The ???? and ??? are all coming to the U.I.L. to take over...The Humble Christian Academys , The Strakes and Dickie V's are really going to be good guys..But the question is this: Does a coach feel good about himself and his team when they are winning games knowing that playing field is different. Heck most anyone can win with superior talent,BUT ITS NOT FULLFILLING....YOUR SUPPOSED TO..Really a lose lose situation...If you win, well, your supposed to with that team...If you lose...that guy cant coach a lick.....Doesnt sound like fun to me...Kinda like that ole AAU coach on the sideling smoking his cigar before the tip vs that little ole 4a program thats tryin to get better!!!!  We'll play em all....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Nothing is guaranteed...You think Jerry Tarkanian can't coach?...He had an UNREAL UNLV squad that was beat in the 1991 National Semis by a far less talented Duke team.  I do not agree with your statement on that, but I will say that NOT EVERYONE CAN HANDLE THAT SORT OF PRESSURE. This business is not for the faint of heart.  It takes a really good coach to cultivate talent and place roles on guys that would otherwise not have one on another squad with less talented players.  At the same time, that coach that keeps his team in ball games with little or no talent is also doing one heck of a job.  Superior talent does not always equal championships. With that said, to win a state championship this year would be extremely fullfilling for me.  I KNOW how hard I work on a daily basis, and to reach my goal would be gratifying. Hard work pays off.

When you watch a group of kids grow up together and acomplish a goal ,whether it be a basketball championship, or any other sport it has to be a lot more satisfying than watching a team that changes significantly from year to year.On the original question I think you play whoever is on the schedule regardless of who it is.You honor your committments whether there good or bad.

Nope, Didnt think Tark could coach, wasnt consistent enough at winning we he diddnt have dominant teams...Also agree he got upset vs Duke, heck of a team, but a better coach got him..Will agree with WHS on the schedule, you inherit a schedule and get out of games early maybe if the coach prior to made it near possible to win, but this late, you suck it up...Dickie V wish you all the luck this year on getting that state championship. The playing COURT is even ..privates vs privates...Rules are the same!!!Good Luck.

I have seen Duncanville fall to teams with less talent for two years in a row.  Duncanville had more D-1 signees than STrake, and they all signed Big League, Teaxs, OK State, etc.  The STrake guys outside of the one Marquette kid signed with Ivy League schools.  These guys were as much student as Athletes.  They had three D1 signees all seniors.  Duncanville had 7 with only two being underclassmen.  strake had one kid ranked in the overall top 100 by SCOUT.COM.  Dville had 6 ranked overall in the top 100 in their respective classes by Scout.com.  Truth is that in 54A and 4A ball the Big City Schools are the most successful, Metroplex, SA, & Houston.  These are also the easiest cities for kids to get to the schools of thier choice.  ONLY SMALL TOWN BASKETBALL HAS KIDS THAT PLAY TOGETRHER FROM LITTLE DRIBBLERS WHICH GROOMS PLAYERS TO PERFORM WELL TOGETHER.  That is why the small school brackets have a dirth of big time competition from the smaller towns. Actually any good coach could attract a kid to come play for their program without recruiting.  Rep means alot.  That is why Wise put thogether a POWERHOUSE at Yates.  The kids know he is a winner.  Personal knowledge tells me that NY and Cali have been inter-mingling private and public school athletics for years.  Yes they have created som private powerhouses.  But there has been and will always be public powerhouses.  At the high school level the game is about coaching, understanding, executing, decent talent, and believing.  That is why the team with the best players don't always win in high school.  The 2007-2008 Smiley team was way better than Wheatly and Yates with talent, but they could not put that together.  Milby was ranked #1 in the nation with one Big Time D1 kid and One Southland D1 kid.  That was over the private schools that are actually allowed to recruit.  And they beat one of those 6 D1 signee schhols.!!!

What I find interesting is that the same transfer techniques used by coaches when I was in high school is still being used today. I had a very respectable coach tell me this year it is not hard to transfer from one district to another. In HJ's case, the area probably doesn't have the attractions for moving a basketball family there. Therefore they have a wide zoning area and actually take away some of HF's athletes...man, this subject has really expanded ...... ;D

What are you talking about Dove...sour lake has many attractions....Our secret to great consistant basketball lies within the secret mineral water just like the old day's they flocked to sour lake, the birth place of Texaco for what is in the water. That and the home movie theatre in my living room where the movie and popcorn are always free. It is BYOB though. You just cant beat a deal like that...oh by the way the next feature is the 2007 state championship game. The next few features of the following years after that finishing up with this years 7th state championship tournament appearances.

What I find interesting is that the same transfer techniques used by coaches when I was in high school is still being used today. I had a very respectable coach tell me this year it is not hard to transfer from one district to another. In HJ's case, the area probably doesn't have the attractions for moving a basketball family there. Therefore they have a wide zoning area and actually take away some of HF's athletes...man, this subject has really expanded ...... ;D

What are you talking about Dove...sour lake has many attractions....Our secret to great consistant basketball lies within the secret mineral water just like the old day's they flocked to sour lake, the birth place of Texaco for what is in the water. That and the home movie theatre in my living room where the movie and popcorn are always free. It is BYOB though. You just cant beat a deal like that...oh by the way the next feature is the 2007 state championship game. The next few features of the following years after that finishing up with this years 7th state championship tournament appearances.

Never , never get into the business of promotions. :D

Hardin - Jefferson-Sour Lake, Sounds like three towns combined. So when you play someone its like three against one.....no wonder its hard to win there.... :(

Hardin - Jefferson-Sour Lake, Sounds like three towns combined. So when you play someone its like three against one.....no wonder its hard to win there.... :(

Actually, they should call it: Harin-Jefferson-Sour Lake- Fannett-Liberty H.S. :D

This burned me to no end, because I had to find another tourney to play in for THE EXACT SAME REASON.

Then quit getting good players to play for your school...and that will solve all your problems.

Just for the record you were dropped out that tournament back in mid June (in fact June 15th would be the date)...plenty of time to find a tournament in which you would not beat the teams by more than 80.  The tournament I think you are referring to was a TAPPS 1A 2A tournament, which LHS was invited because they had not been good over the past couple of years.  So I can understand why you were dropped from that tournament. (That is if we are talking about the same tournament). That is not a bad thing to me, just shows you got some good players in that need to be challenged with better players than TAPPS 1A and 2A players.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder