Serious Question That Requires Serious Input

Guest DickVitale

They want people to believe that basketball is just bred in Sour Lake, Nome and China.....They would NEVER THINK of pulling kids from anywhere else.... ::) ::)

DV, are you suggesting that HJ recruits or has recruited in the past?

I am not suggesting anything....I just know that the innocent approach that they take saying "we have turned away kids that do not live in our zone" is a crock...Especially if those kids happen to be former HJ "little dribblers"...There are not THAT many ball players in the Sour Lake community...They can come from other  places, and nothing is wrong with that, just don't try the purely innocent deal with us on here.

Ya know, I remember two guys from HJ telling me @ LD Nationals their relative moved back to Liberty because he (they?) weren't getting the playing time they thought they should have been getting. ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nostradamus

Did you have any clue that our district is among the LARGEST in the state in square miles.....our district covers a TON of area.

Bluedove.....take away from HF.....heck Spencer George was supposed to play at HJ.....he lived on the HJ side of the road but went to HF.

Dicky,

Fine.....if they have to be approved by TAPPS so be it......however, they do not have to live in a certain area....public schools do.....not saying that some areas don't break the rules....but that is not even a rule in TAPPS.  You are not giving the details of "open enrollment".....yes....some schools have open enrollment......normally "open enrollment" operates in a manner that you don't have to live in the district BUT you will have to pay to go to school there......that is the way it is in Kountze and it was at Tatum.....and the UIL rules still apply.....I had a kid transfer from Longview HS when I was at Tatum......he was allowed in because of open enrollment but he had to play JV for a year in order to establish residency.......that doesn't happen at a private school.....don't have to EVER establish residency regardless of the circumstance.

Guest nostradamus

Dove,

you are right.....they LIVE in HJ school district....thought they should play more so they went to Liberty.....HAD to play JV because of the move.....thought that wasn't fair so tried to check in at Hull-Daisetta....until they found out that the same rules apply there and then came back to HJ only to not even be in the athletic program anymore.

Some people just dont understand that there are rules.

Guest DickVitale

Did you have any clue that our district is among the LARGEST in the state in square miles.....our district covers a TON of area.

Bluedove.....take away from HF.....heck Spencer George was supposed to play at HJ.....he lived on the HJ side of the road but went to HF.

Dicky,

Fine.....if they have to be approved by TAPPS so be it......however, they do not have to live in a certain area....public schools do.....not saying that some areas don't break the rules....but that is not even a rule in TAPPS.  You are not giving the details of "open enrollment".....yes....some schools have open enrollment......normally "open enrollment" operates in a manner that you don't have to live in the district BUT you will have to pay to go to school there......that is the way it is in Kountze and it was at Tatum.....and the UIL rules still apply.....I had a kid transfer from Longview HS when I was at Tatum......he was allowed in because of open enrollment but he had to play JV for a year in order to establish residency.......that doesn't happen at a private school.....don't have to EVER establish residency regardless of the circumstance.

So I am still missing exactly HOW thats an "advantage"?

Guest nostradamus

you don't get the advantage that a kid no matter where they live can go to your school.....hmmmm.....

lets see....

I don't know many families that can just up and sell their house and then buy another in another area without a TON of factors playing into that decision.....especially in today's times......so if a kid can go to a school and the family doesn't have to move then....well.....how can I put this..........IT"S AN ADAVANTAGE FOR THAT SCHOOL.

Look.....you're barking up the wrong tree here.....I am very well versed in what happens at private schools.....you forget I have had some very close friends hold those jobs.....it is what it is.

Guest nostradamus

don't really care to honestly....like I said....don't play by the same rules......that being said....I wouldn't have backed out on the schedule this late either

Guest nostradamus

Also failed to mention that TAPPS schools don't have any summer rules.  The coaches can coach their kids all summer long....work them out...whatever they want......hmmm....little advantage there eh?

really it is what it is..if a kid attends school somewhere and he does not live in the district, who really knows..Most coaches dont go to their houses most assume they live in the district so they practice as if they will be there come November..Sometimes they look up, and their gone, caught by administration and sent back to their true home school...BUT, public schools in our area at least have district lines meaning you have to live within to play...This is the case of 95% of the school districts, all but except one here in our area. Is it an advantage, you bet..you can pick from  whole lot more than the guy down the street or across the river...THATS WHEN ITS WRONG...BOTTOM LINE!...

How do you fix it???

Guest DickVitale

Also failed to mention that TAPPS schools don't have any summer rules.  The coaches can coach their kids all summer long....work them out...whatever they want......hmmm....little advantage there eh?

Nope not the case either...We have them during athletics JUST LIKE YOU DO.  I did not start until first day of school during athletics. Period. I can speak for ME on that!

Guest nostradamus

DV...

I just got off the TAPPS website and it says there are no restrictions on coaching the kids during the summer.......that means under the TAPPS rules it is legal......under UIL it is not........advantage.

Guest DickVitale

you're right....."magnet schools" are a crock of crap too....

Curious to know, why do you say that?

DV...

I just got off the TAPPS website and it says there are no restrictions on coaching the kids during the summer.......that means under the TAPPS rules it is legal......under UIL it is not........advantage.

Soooo, You had nothing to do with the guys at HJ this summer right? No open gym? Nothing? Yeah OK.

My guys were playing AAU ball all summer and attending Elite camps....I had open gym, and did nothing else until our first athletic period when school started...Once again, I speak for me.

Guest nostradamus

I CANNOT LEGALLY COACH OUR KIDS DURING THE SUMMER.

YOU CAN LEGALLY COACH YOUR KIDS DURING THE SUMMER.

THAT IS AN ADVANTAGE.

THOSE ARE NOT THE SAME RULES.

THAT HAS BEEN MY POINT ALL ALONG.

SIMPLE ENOUGH??

Guest DickVitale

Thats an EXCUSE....Thats the new norm for many public school coaches....EXCUSES as to why privates have an advantage, when they have twice as many students to select from in some cases...EXCUSES... ::)....Just ADMIT that many of you are scared to play private schools...Nothing wrong with being scared. ;)

Thats an EXCUSE....Thats the new norm for many public school coaches....EXCUSES as to why privates have an advantage, when they have twice as many students to select from in some cases...EXCUSES... ::)....Just ADMIT that many of you are scared to play private schools...Nothing wrong with being scared. ;)

Are these the same sentiments you had when you coached at public schools?

Guest nostradamus

"scholarships" are given out at private schools all the time....

DV....I love it when you resort to EXCUSES for you reply.....you have no answer....the rules are significantly different between the two and you know it.......all anyone that is half way educated has to do is go to the TAPPS website and read their rules and then go to the UIL website and read their rules.....they are not the same.

Guest nostradamus

Every summer I sit and watch Coach Cregor at Legacy ( a great man) sit on the bench and coach his kids like it is the middle of the season....while I have to sit in the top row of the gym and watch our kids play....

that's not an advantage??

Guest DickVitale

Wrong again Nos...TAPPS schools are NOT ALLOWED to give athletic scholarships. And yes it is yet another EXCUSE that public school coaches are coming up with.  When I coached in public school I thought it was ridiculous they way some other coaches were acting when it came to private schools.  I just attributed it to fear, and not wanting to be competitive.  There are rules in place that keep the playing field very even.

Guest DickVitale

Every summer I sit and watch Coach Cregor at Legacy ( a great man) sit on the bench and coach his kids like it is the middle of the season....while I have to sit in the top row of the gym and watch our kids play....

Yes indeed, Legacy Christian has absolutely been tearing it up in the Golden Triangle, too, as a result of all that extra summer work, too..... ::) ::)...uh-huh..... ::) ::)

Yes indeed, Legacy Christian has absolutely been tearing it up in the Golden Triangle, too, as a result of all that extra summer work, too..... ::) ::)...uh-huh..... ::) ::)

Dickie v.  Do you think being able to coach your kids for 2 extra month is an advantage or not?

Guest DickVitale

Kids play in the summer anyway, so I dont think that its THAT much of an advantage.  MY guys did not get that type of work with me until school started.  Am I at a DIS-advantage? NO. My guys played all summer long, against GREAT competition, and public school kids have that same opportunity.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder