NOW THE TRASH TALKING HAS TO STOP! VIDOR VS CENTRAL

Foyce

Everyone has had their fun running down Vidor and their schedule. Now the trash talking has to come to an end! Two weeks from now we go to Central for a real test. Let me say Central is in for a real test also. We are fairly healthy and we will be adding a 6' 6 lineman that has not been able to play due to an early injury. I have not seen any Vidor fans who have stated that we will win district. I for one will be happy with a playoff birth of any kind. It is just nice to be sitting here and feel that we really have a chance (as much of a chance as anyone else) to do great things. So let the fun begin. I like what I heard a coach say the other day (can't remember who) "the team that is the most violent will win". So in that spirit. LET THE VIOLENCE BEGIN! ;D

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has had their fun running down Vidor and their schedule. Now the trash talking has to come to an end! Two weeks from now we go to Central for a real test. Let me say Central is in for a real test also. We are fairly healthy and we will be adding a 6' 6 lineman that has not been able to play due to an early injury. I have not seen any Vidor fans who have stated that we will win district. I for one will be happy with a playoff birth of any kind. It is just nice to be sitting here and feel that we really have a chance (as much of a chance as anyone else) to do great things. So let the fun begin. I like what I heard a coach say the other day (can't remember who) "the team that is the most violent will win". So in that spirit. LET THE VIOLENCE BEGIN! ;D

No doubt, I for one do not think we will district.  I do think we will be in the mix, too many obstacle's out there to make a prediction to win district.

Vidor may not win district, but they will be in the playoff mix.  Vidor's got a good team and  can beat anybody on any given Friday.  Saying that, any team can beat any team on any given Friday night.  Vidor will not just lay down for anybody and they will open some eyes in this area.  Coach Mathews has done a fantastic job with these kids and has done one heck of motivation job this year.  Let the football wars began.

I agree with the sentiment...it gets real in two weeks. As for all of the "picking" on Vidor...Most of it is in good fun by sports fans who have a great deal of respect for Vidor...I am one of those people. I can joke about the weak Vidor schedule and the "hype" because I've spent a big part of my life in Vidor (either living there or visiting most of my family who live there). Vidor is the Texas Tech of SE Texas. They win the big ones and then lose the small ones. They're up one week and down the next. When everyone is on the Pirate bandwagon they tend to falter but when no one is paying attention, they surprise you. They are the quintessential mystery team. You just never know what you're going to get when you play Vidor. For that reason, be it a small private or a large public, everyone knows (without being told by rabid Pirate fans) that when you enter Pirate stadium, you may come out far worse than when you entered. I will add to all of this "pimping" for Vidor that Coach Matthews is what Vidor has always needed. He is a great coach and, from all I've seen of him, an even greater man. He has stayed with Vidor and is, apparently, in it for the long haul. If he is left alone to continually build on what he's started, Vidor will, if not this season, eventually become what most of us (even us LTrain supporters) would love to see...a playoff contender year in and year out.

I see that my Vidor vs OPEN thread was apparently removed...It was all in good fun!!! Good Luck Pirates...hope you put it to the JAGS!!!

I agree with the sentiment...it gets real in two weeks. As for all of the "picking" on Vidor...Most of it is in good fun by sports fans who have a great deal of respect for Vidor...I am one of those people. I can joke about the weak Vidor schedule and the "hype" because I've spent a big part of my life in Vidor (either living there or visiting most of my family who live there). Vidor is the Texas Tech of SE Texas. They win the big ones and then lose the small ones. They're up one week and down the next. When everyone is on the Pirate bandwagon they tend to falter but when no one is paying attention, they surprise you. They are the quintessential mystery team. You just never know what you're going to get when you play Vidor. For that reason, be it a small private or a large public, everyone knows (without being told by rabid Pirate fans) that when you enter Pirate stadium, you may come out far worse than when you entered. I will add to all of this "pimping" for Vidor that Coach Matthews is what Vidor has always needed. He is a great coach and, from all I've seen of him, an even greater man. He has stayed with Vidor and is, apparently, in it for the long haul. If he is left alone to continually build on what he's started, Vidor will, if not this season, eventually become what most of us (even us LTrain supporters) would love to see...a playoff contender year in and year out.

I see that my Vidor vs OPEN thread was apparently removed...It was all in good fun!!! Good Luck Pirates...hope you put it to the JAGS!!!

I agree LR. 3-4 years ago, if someone came on here and said Lumberton or Vidor (heck, I will even throw 1-A Evadale in here) had a shot at a district championship, they would have been laughed off this board and possibly placed in a straight jacket!  It's amazing how the tides have turned...

As much as we say we despise it, the trash talk is what keeps a bunch of grown men on here talking about a kid game...My wife thinks I'm crazy but at least I can rest easy knowing that a few dozen football fanatics like myself can understand my desire to do this for a few glorious months every fall.

It's Texas High School Football and it's FUN...And, whether you are an Indian, a Pirate, a Bulldog or a Mustang (well, maybe not a Mustang (ha)), when it's all said and done, we are, at our best, high school football fans who will follow and support our local teams (even the Mustangs) if/when one of them is the last team standing in the playoffs. That's what makes it all that it is. I talked trash about the JAGS all last season but, when it was all said and done, the JAGS were still playing and I was rooting them on', hoping they would bring one home to SE Texas. That's what it's all about and that's why I keep coming to this forum and wading through the "trash talk". Truth is, if it were all civil and kid-friendly, I probably wouldn't be nearly as addicted to it. Go figure!!!

Vidor will have to put the ball in the air more to be a factor for the crown or the playoff's.There are many good,big run defenses to go thru and you will see some teams that can slow them down.You gotta throw to get to the show.

I agree we will have to put it in the air some, but the question is how much? All of the scouts have seen Vidor air the ball out for some big gains at this point. We actually passed the ball for the first play from scrimmage. I don't think they can discount a throwing attack so they will have to guard against it, which strengthens the wing T and running attack. I am seeing a more balanced attack, I just think the transition to a pass play needs to be easier. We tend to pass after a time out or other long delay. Last night they threw a pass which I expected due to the pattern, but then they followed it up with a pass that was a surprise to me because they did it from a regular huddle. It was a pleasent surprise that was for a long gain! I think we have the skills to be successful from the ground or the air. Now it is all about mistakes. He who makes less will prevail. One thing I saw in this game was the Hawks were going for the ball every time on defense. I think we need to do that also. Another thing we have got to start getting more interceptions. We have many chances that we are letting get by us. Knocking the ball down is great, intercepting the ball is much better! 8)

I just got back from the Central/Ball game.  A Matthews sighting.  He was quoted to saying, 'man, they will be tough!'  (talking about those Jags).    I tell you one thing.  We played a running team in Galveston Ball that ran the wishbone and had all kinds of tricks and stuff.  They have good athletes, and Central held their own.  I believe that what Vidor have in size on the line, we can counter it with speed and technique.  Central 30 - 21.

I agree LR. 3-4 years ago, if someone came on here and said Lumberton or Vidor (heck, I will even throw 1-A Evadale in here) had a shot at a district championship, they would have been laughed off this board and possibly placed in a straight jacket!  It's amazing how the tides have turned...

It's history repeating it's self. Vidor's made that circle. They've been here before. Lumberton taste blood and they are believing in their system. Some teams maintain that winning attitude longer than others. It's good for that competitive nature of the game. Good luck to all 20 4A squads. Ex specially my Jags ;D

As much as we say we despise it, the trash talk is what keeps a bunch of grown men on here talking about a kid game...My wife thinks I'm crazy but at least I can rest easy knowing that a few dozen football fanatics like myself can understand my desire to do this for a few glorious months every fall.

It's Texas High School Football and it's FUN...And, whether you are an Indian, a Pirate, a Bulldog or a Mustang (well, maybe not a Mustang (ha)), when it's all said and done, we are, at our best, high school football fans who will follow and support our local teams (even the Mustangs) if/when one of them is the last team standing in the playoffs. That's what makes it all that it is. I talked trash about the JAGS all last season but, when it was all said and done, the JAGS were still playing and I was rooting them on', hoping they would bring one home to SE Texas. That's what it's all about and that's why I keep coming to this forum and wading through the "trash talk". Truth is, if it were all civil and kid-friendly, I probably wouldn't be nearly as addicted to it. Go figure!!!

Wow - FW on the brain - class post.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder