Cardinals looking to roll past Kountze

Cardinals looking to roll past Kountze

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — The Bridge City Cardinals made improvements last year and this year they hope to not follow the exact pattern.

The Cardinals (1-0) defeated Liberty to open the 2008 season and then turned around and lost to Kountze.

Bridge City defeated Liberty, 23-15, to start this year and coach Cris Stump is hoping the Cardinals this time make it 2-0 to start 2009.

This will be the fifth all-time meeting between the two schools. Bridge City and Kountze are 2-2 in the series which dates back to 1957, a 39-0 Kountze victory.

Kountze defeated Bridge City 28-26 in 2008.

The Lions (0-1) are coming off a 59-0 loss to Woodville to open its season.

Bridge City will be looking to pick up its offense a bit after scoring two touchdowns off kickoff returns from Cameron Dishon and Cale Hyde.

The Cardinals’ offense only managed 201 yards of offense against Liberty with Matt Menard leading the way with 53 yards on the ground on 13 carries.

Quarterback Josh Lemoine rushed for 28 yards and threw from 45 on 3-of-9 passing.

Dishon had a 73-yard touchdown reception from fellow receiver Luke Rhodes.

“The win was nice but I keep telling the guys football is a sport of ‘What have you done for me lately,’†Stump said. “What happened last week does not matter anymore. The team we are playing does not care what we did the week before. It is always the game coming up which is the most important.â€

The Lions we went 5-4 last year and missed the playoffs for the 35th consecutive year.

Kountze graduated a ton of players from 2008 and welcomed Mike Stewart to town as the new head coach when Stan Hodges left the school to become an assistant at West Orange-Stark.

Hodges stayed at WO-S just a couple weeks before resigning there.

“They lost a lot of guys but still have a real big running back,†Stump said. “We always seem to play a team with a big running back. They are still trying to figure things out but they will show up to play and will play hard. Last year our kids showed up and thought that is all they had to do to get the win.

“We should not lose to a 2A school and it would be a feather in their cap. It does happen though. Look how Nederland lost to West Orange-Stark last week and Kountze beat us last year.â€

Guest ECBucFan

“We should not lose to a 2A school and it would be a feather in their cap. It does happen though. Look how Nederland lost to West Orange-Stark last week and Kountze beat us last year.â€

2A EC is somthing like 9-0 vs. 3A's the past few years... 

Kountze was rolling last year up 20 to 6 before BC made a comeback. I don't think Kountze can play with them this year. The thing

that hurt BC last year was speed and Devin Wise for kountze is gone. So they can focus on the big boy.

honestly, BC lost because of what the last couple sentences from the interview said.

BC walked out thinking they already won, but after the half is when they came out with a different mind set.

but im not going to make any excuses for that, it was a year ago,

BC will win as big as they want it to be, and i think this game can be a shut out

Kountze was rolling last year up 20 to 6 before BC made a comeback. I don't think Kountze can play with them this year. The thing

that hurt BC last year was speed and Devin Wise for kountze is gone. So they can focus on the big boy.

honestly, BC lost because of what the last couple sentences from the interview said.

BC walked out thinking they already won, but after the half is when they came out with a different mind set.

BC will win as big as they want it to be, and i think this game can be a shut out

Were you at last's years game.  I am not gonna say anything specific b/c I am a true BC fan and kids are kids and pointing them out is wrong.  It is parents, coaches, politics that disturb me.  Coaches start players, some for right reasons, some not. Anyone questioning the politics at good ol BC obviously never went there. Anyway, we should have won the game, we were better talent wise, we were at home etc.  It had nothing to do with we thought we'd win by walking out there.  We were 0-10 the year before, we hardly were strutting around.  We tried to throw too much!!  We don't throw well- is that a revelation to anyone, I am not blaming just the QB.  Be serious, of course the line has something to do with it as well as the scheme.  Also, we like to throw deep too much.  If we are gonna stick to the spread , then we need to make quick passes that set up the deep ball while slipping in run plays that surprise everyone.  I agree BC should win big, but Kountze is hacked from getting whipped and their at home. So we better be ready!!!!  Go Big Red!!! 

Were you at last's years game.  I am not gonna say anything specific b/c I am a true BC fan and kids are kids and pointing them out is wrong.  It is parents, coaches, politics that disturb me.  Coaches start players, some for right reasons, some not. Anyone questioning the politics at good ol BC obviously never went there. Anyway, we should have won the game, we were better talent wise, we were at home etc.  It had nothing to do with we thought we'd win by walking out there.  We were 0-10 the year before, we hardly were strutting around.  We tried to throw too much!!  We don't throw well- is that a revelation to anyone, I am not blaming just the QB.  Be serious, of course the line has something to do with it as well as the scheme.  Also, we like to throw deep too much.  If we are gonna stick to the spread , then we need to make quick passes that set up the deep ball while slipping in run plays that surprise everyone.  I agree BC should win big, but Kountze is hacked from getting whipped and their at home. So we better be ready!!!!  Go Big Red!!! 

actually i was, and i promise you i was closer to them than you were.

and i know for a fact BC didn't go out to play the first half.

if you were in the locker room then you would have heard the horrible things they were thinking!

it was horrible to think that all they had to do was walk out there and they were going to let us win!

once they realized that wasn't the case they scored 20 unanswered points in the 2nd half but the past is the past but you can still learn from it!

if they go out there tonight with the same mindset as last season then they will get it handed to them! but if they go out and play 4 quarters to the max then i predict BC wins 30+ to 0 or 7

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83