Kirby Bellow.....Will be Back For Baseball!!

Am i the only one who sees him playing football as a BAD decision? Why risk the scholarship (that is not in ink yet) on football. Baseball is his future, and playing football does nothing but put him at risk for potential injury.  I hope this injury does not turn out to be something serious.  If so you can bet on augie pulling that offer, off the table.

From what I understand, Kirby wanted to be out there with his team.  I don't believe not playing was ever even an issue with him.  He is a great competitive athlete.  It would be hard for any high school senior to give up playing his senior year.  Also from what I read about Augie, he likes the boys who play football; it helps them build character and disipline.  Kirby will be back up and going in no time leading us to the baseball playoffs again in the spring!!!

With all due respect rounder, saying it was a bad decision now is very easy to do and classic Monday morning quarterbacking...I didn't hear anyone asking if it was a bad idea before he got hurt...my understanding is that Kirby always intended to and wanted to play his senior season and if that's the case, then he should play unless someone from UT says straight up, "don;t play or you lose your scholarship.".

Best of luck to Kirby...whatever happens from here, he has certainly been an asset to this football program for 3 years now and I wish him a speedy recovery and best of luck in his future...hopefully, he can recover in time for baseball season and I think he will and then he can continue to pursue his desire to play at the next level, which I also believe he will do.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to hear the prognosis for Kirby is good.  A couple of folks questioned Kirby playing football. As talented as he is on the baseball diamond, lets not forget he was arguably the best (and the most talked about) QB in 20-4A. What kind of athelete wouldn't want to hold the reins to a team like the Bulldogs? I don't blame him one bit. I hope him the best in recovery. I do regret not getting to see him play this year, especially for Mid County Madness! Good luck to you Kirby! We'll see you this spring.

Guest gladiator2

I've never heard of an ACL tear and it will only take 4 months to recover . Is this wishful thinking or is their some new technology out there? I really hope it works out this way but I've never heard of this kind of injury only taken 4 months and then using his legs as much as he will have to. Kirby, good luck to a speedy recovery. Looking forward to seeing you pitch for THE HORN'S!

I can't believe anyone would question whether or not a h.s. kid in TEXAS made the right decision to play football.  Sure Bellow is a good baseball player, and he has most of his college education paid for, but what ever happened to the well rounded athlete.  The kid is also a good h.s. QB, and if not for a crazy injury, no one would second guess his decision.  I've read in several publication that Auggie Gaurido likes his baseball players to have played football.  Its shows him that they are tough and have grit.  When your the QB for a h.s. with good tradition you also have good leadership qualities.  Bellow has all of that I'm sure, and an injury like this will do nothing but make him tougher.  

This is not the 1970's.  Nowadays, an ACL tear is next to minor.  They will fix it and it will be stronger than it was before, and he will have a good senior campaign.  Let the kids play multiple sports, encourage them to be dual athletes instead of questioning whats "best for their future."

Guest Brubaker

Careful their Bobo, you may fly in the face of the BILL OF GOODS this country has been sold with the "specialization" mindset.  Be careful, you'll get people emotional.  People don't want to hear that college baseball coaches like the two sport athlete.  Before you know it, they're going to be encouraging kids to play all sports they can contribute in... we can't have that now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder