Camping Safety - FYI

I had my travel trailer set up on a location for the last 5 years. I tried to move it this weekend and man, what a job. I thought I was prepared, brought tools, spare tire and air compressor. I put air in all 4 tires (all were low as they were sitting there for 5 years). I pulled it out and decided to air the tires up to recommended pressure. I had completed 3 and was airing 4 when #3 exploded. When I say exploded.....I MEAN EXPLODED!!  A buddy of mine has a camp about a mile away and HE heard it! It damaged my trailer, broke off some metal and scared me to death. I was 2 feet away (airing the tire next to it) and sheer luck it exploded away from me. I inspected the other tires and they were all dry rotted. So, I removed them and will be getting new tires.

The tires looked "OK" on the outside, but a detailed inspection was needed to see the dry rot. Just remember, ALWAYS be careful when airing up tires......I had heard they can do that, but this is the first time it has happened to me. If it would have hit me, it would of left a mark!

We have had fatalities from exploding tires (I figure that maybe you have seen that in your former life also).

Even when I am airing up tires on my personal vehicle or at work, I put my head above the wheel well and turn away from the tire as best as possible. If nothing else, I try to keep the potential impact away from the head or heart area.

We have had fatalities from exploding tires (I figure that maybe you have seen that in your former life also).

Even when I am airing up tires on my personal vehicle or at work, I put my head above the wheel well and turn away from the tire as best as possible. If nothing else, I try to keep the potential impact away from the head or heart area.

You know, I never had an ambulance call for that. However, I was facing away and kinda to the side. I never looked at the tire while it was airing up.....the crazy thing it was the one I just aired, not the one I was airing. If you have never been around one, it's loud....I mean LOUD.

I was airing my tire this morning and thought about exploding tires. But, I have a portable tire inflator and stayed away from the tire until it shut off at the desired pressure. Hippy, the thought of losing you away from the forum makes me wanna  :'(

Awwwww.........  8)

Okay thats enough! Now back to your flawed thinking ways :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed