What is success?

Great story about overcoming adversity and you all have gone through alot.  The question is if you don't have a situation like that then is it acceptable to just compete, forget about whether you are winning and when is it time for action to think about change?  We saw several schools make changes where the record was ok but not good enough.

Guest ECBucFan

You raise an intriguing question here. It's hard to answer. I would have to say "it depends". By that I mean it depends on the communities expectations for their program.

Lets think in raw W-L records, first. I presume you had this in mind when the question was posted. Lets think about a hypothetical team that has struggled for years. IF that team could go from 3-7 to 7-3, but narrowly missed the playoffs, I would personally call that a success. That team "overachieved" relative to its expectations going in, even if the playoffs were missed.

Conversely, lets say a team was loaded, and was a viable candidate for making a run at the state championship. If it would go out in the 2nd round for example, I would not say that team was a success, due to its underperformance relative to expectations.

In short, I think its all judged on performance vs. expectations. I would feel better about the 7-3 team that missed, than the 2nd round loser. Thats just how I see it.

There definitely is MORE to it all than W-L records, though. Of that I am sure.   :)   

So, if a program was not successful in the wins and losses but the kids worked hard is that successful?  How do you then measure the success of the coaches that are doing their job?  Take the PNG situation, coach had a great track record but still was reassigned, you could even look the other side at BC baseball and coach was let go.  Isn't a lesson also that hard work should produce results?  How long do kids buy into the idea that they will just work hard and forget about the record, we are not even going to turn the scoreboard on because the score does not matter?  What is the life lesson there?

That is what is wrong with youth sports, everybody gets a trophy because we dont want anybody feelings to get hurt, what happened to being the best with 1st and 2nd place and thats all if you didnt get it try harder next season, hard work and determination                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

So, if a program was not successful in the wins and losses but the kids worked hard is that successful?  How do you then measure the success of the coaches that are doing their job?  Take the PNG situation, coach had a great track record but still was reassigned, you could even look the other side at BC baseball and coach was let go.  Isn't a lesson also that hard work should produce results?  How long do kids buy into the idea that they will just work hard and forget about the record, we are not even going to turn the scoreboard on because the score does not matter?  What is the life lesson there?

Success with working with kids (IMO) is getting them to BELIEVE THEY WILL ALWAYS SUCCEED! even if they have repeated failures.

If the kids of your team believe they will succeed before they start and give 110% but still lose to superior forces, there is little as a coach you can do.

Look at Dayton's losses the last two years in the playoffs, they were to teams that on that given day just had more firepower than the Broncos, but Dayton left the field as champions to every one that supported them.

We all need to remember that high school athletic is ALL ABOUT THE KIDS and the future of you community, and as a fan you need to ALWAYS BELIEVE in them and support them win or loss.

"W's"

The only way to offset wins is by book success.  If your team continuously excel in the classroom and higher education...  There is still a measure of success there.  Stay above 0.500 in that case and you are successful.  But have too many "L's" and the community and officials will have you fired.  The kids classroom success could fall and the team starts to win, and that would be called success... Our world is bass ackwards!

I was lookin at it from a just one season viewpoint. Say you go 5-5 with what i stated above. Though to some it might not be good. The coach will see the hard work and that should carry on into the future and then who knows what could happen. Could go 6-4 could go 8-2 etc.. To me W's and L's dont determine success to the fullest. Players workin hard no matter the situation is success to me.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder