**Dayton vs GC Memorial Updates..Goose Wins!!!**

Guest patriot117

I would be interested to know how many HBP's Smesny has this year. Seems like he had the same problem with Crosby. I do not believe he was hitting anyone at GCM intentionally. He just did not have the control and velocity from Game 1. However, after a while it does get frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, GCM did not hit the cover off the ball at all. I think we had 4 hits the first two innings, then I can't remember too many more after that. We left a ton of runners on base via walks and HBP. Never felt like we were ever in control. Butler just pitched his behind off. #17 in the seven hole wore us out.

Overall, a well played game on both parts. Good pitching, few errors, small ball, long ball, just a typical night in 19-4A. Whoever comes out of this district will be "Battle Tested".

I would be interested to know how many HBP's Smesny has this year. Seems like he had the same problem with Crosby. I do not believe he was hitting anyone at GCM intentionally. He just did not have the control and velocity from Game 1. However, after a while it does get frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, GCM did not hit the cover off the ball at all. I think we had 4 hits the first two innings, then I can't remember too many more after that. We left a ton of runners on base via walks and HBP. Never felt like we were ever in control. Butler just pitched his behind off. #17 in the seven hole wore us out.

Overall, a well played game on both parts. Good pitching, few errors, small ball, long ball, just a typical night in 19-4A. Whoever comes out of this district will be "Battle Tested".

Smesny avgs 1.5 hit batters per game--most are curve balls---last night was an exception in that most were fast balls--if memory is correct there were three hit Crosby batters with all three being breaking pitches

It does bring up a good question though:

What is the average number of hit batters per game? It seems we have 2 or 3 that get hit each game--in fact Smesny was hit twice in the Crosby game himself.

6 or 7 hbp and 130 pitches. Come on man pull the kid. He had a bad night, there is no sense in leaving him in that long. I know they have other kids they can throw. Fact is he is still a kid, they all make mistakes. I can see letting him work thru some problems but after you hit 6 and his velocity is down. That shouldn't be a tough call.

6 or 7 hbp and 130 pitches. Come on man pull the kid. He had a bad night, there is no sense in leaving him in that long. I know they have other kids they can throw. Fact is he is still a kid, they all make mistakes. I can see letting him work thru some problems but after you hit 6 and his velocity is down. That shouldn't be a tough call.

I agree. It was pretty clear in the 2nd inning Smesny was not sharp but the coach had his reasons. I was not in his shoes and it was not my call.

Guest patriot117

I had the same feelings, however, he seemed to always work out of any jams and GCM could not pull away. I just felt his pitch count got too high and with Walters available it seemed logical make a move.

Guest patriot117

Do not let that kid hurt his arm.....he's got bigger fish to fry.

Where did he commit?

I'll wait and let his Dad make that announcement. Don't want to steal any thunder.  ;) Good kid and a good family.

I fully understand. Whoever gets him has gotten a good one. Very impressive on the mound. Congratulations to him and his family.

Where did he commit?

I'll wait and let his Dad make that announcement. Don't want to steal any thunder.  ;) Good kid and a good family.

I fully understand. Whoever gets him has gotten a good one. Very impressive on the mound. Congratulations to him and his family.

Pat

I am most impressed with the young geese hustle and enthusiasm

Guest patriot117

Where did he commit?

Pat

I am most impressed with the young geese hustle and enthusiasm

The joys of youth. They have a solid core of young players. They appear to love the game, now Coach Rupp just has to teach them some of the "finer" points of baseball. It seems like in round one they were a little "deer in the headlights" for some games. I'm not too sure they knew what to expect from 19-4A. We'll see how they handle things the second time through. So far, so good.

Guest patriot117

If they keep letting him throw 130 pitches a game it won't matter where he goes!!

That's exactly what my first post was referring to.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), pitch counts are arbitrary and often misused. For example, Cody Butler threw 145 pitches (18 pitches/inning for 8 innings) against Kingwood Park last Tuesday. That's a TON of pitches. However, the majority of those were in the early innings and he settled down and became very efficient in the later innings. There is no way he would have been taken from that game because of his pitch count. Not with the way he was setting the Panthers down, he had in effect "gotten stronger". In comparison, Frank Smesny threw only 76 pitches (15 pitches per inning for 5 innings)against Kingwood Park last Thursday. Only three less pitches per inning. But, on Wednesday, Smesney threw 130 pitches (18 ppi for 7 innings) and was "struggling" somewhat with his control. So he threw about 60 more pitches than necessary when they had Walters available.

That's where the problem starts. Throwing "meaningless" innings. That's what starts to add up on a young pitcher. I understand the magnitude of the game and "no inning is meaningless" when it comes to wins and losses in a district game. That's why you had better of gotten some innings for your other pitchers in tournaments and non-district games. You cannot go into a gun fight with only a stick.

All I am saying is that is a lot of wear and tear on those young arms. Thats not counting warm up pitches and between innings. I don't feel like any high school kid should throw that much just to get a win. Someone has to look out for their future. Look at what happened to Josh Peters out of Brenham several years ago. I am sure there is a ton of kids out there with arm problems due to high school coaches trying to add another win to their record. Just doesn't make sense to me.

All I am saying is that is a lot of wear and tear on those young arms. Thats not counting warm up pitches and between innings. I don't feel like any high school kid should throw that much just to get a win. Someone has to look out for their future. Look at what happened to Josh Peters out of Brenham several years ago. I am sure there is a ton of kids out there with arm problems due to high school coaches trying to add another win to their record. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Way Way Way to many pitchs. By the time the playoff come there arm will be dead. What you think Eagle07?

If they keep letting him throw 130 pitches a game it won't matter where he goes!!

That's exactly what my first post was referring to.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), pitch counts are arbitrary and often misused. For example, Cody Butler threw 145 pitches (18 pitches/inning for 8 innings) against Kingwood Park last Tuesday. That's a TON of pitches. However, the majority of those were in the early innings and he settled down and became very efficient in the later innings. There is no way he would have been taken from that game because of his pitch count. Not with the way he was setting the Panthers down, he had in effect "gotten stronger". In comparison, Frank Smesny threw only 76 pitches (15 pitches per inning for 5 innings)against Kingwood Park last Thursday. Only three less pitches per inning. But, on Wednesday, Smesney threw 130 pitches (18 ppi for 7 innings) and was "struggling" somewhat with his control. So he threw about 60 more pitches than necessary when they had Walters available.

That's where the problem starts. Throwing "meaningless" innings. That's what starts to add up on a young pitcher. I understand the magnitude of the game and "no inning is meaningless" when it comes to wins and losses in a district game. That's why you had better of gotten some innings for your other pitchers in tournaments and non-district games. You cannot go into a gun fight with only a stick.

I understand your point and don't totally disagree.  But you lost me with this particular example.  Not sure you can find a way to justify throwing 145 in a highschool game.  Unless the pitcher has told you he never plans on playing baseball again.

Remind me about Josh Peters.  I don't remember the name off hand.

Josh Peters was the picther from Brenham that couldn't be touched. I think he finished high school with a 57-1 record. Made the cover of Sports Illustrated. At the time had the record for wins and K's in 4A. He was basically th best prospect in the country. Signed with A&M and threw one game and was done for his career. The last I heard he was coaching at the college level, not sure where. They used this kid entirely too much, he went out and did his job but nobody was watching out for him. This kid was the real deal and he barely made it to college.

Thats why I said what I did about Smesney being used too much, but he's not the only one. I know of several in this district that are being done the same way. As parents we need to step up and say something to these coaches that they are busting butt for.

Josh Peters was the picther from Brenham that couldn't be touched. I think he finished high school with a 57-1 record. Made the cover of Sports Illustrated. At the time had the record for wins and K's in 4A. He was basically th best prospect in the country. Signed with A&M and threw one game and was done for his career. The last I heard he was coaching at the college level, not sure where. They used this kid entirely too much, he went out and did his job but nobody was watching out for him. This kid was the real deal and he barely made it to college.

Thats why I said what I did about Smesney being used too much, but he's not the only one. I know of several in this district that are being done the same way. As parents we need to step up and say something to these coaches that they are busting butt for.

Jon Peters of Brenham was a high school stud who threw way too much in high school.

IMO, it's all about wear and tear. Doesn't matter if you are throwing well or not....except if you are not throwing well you should certainly come out.

If you pitch long enough, you will eventually suffer an injury of some sort. The mechanics of throwing a baseball at a competitive level create more torque and pressure on the arm than any other athletic movement. You may be able to minimize the severity of an injury by taking care of your arm....i.e.  long toss, shoulder/jobe exercises, icing after games, getting the proper rest btw starts, and most importantly throwing w/ the proper mechanics. Injuries that tear tendons, etc. (leading to Tommy John surgery ) for the most part don't really occur on the pitch that you feel pain or "hear a pop". They occur over time ( from overuse ) until they finally tear. IMO, I do not think high school pitchers should throw past 100 pitches a game, especially when you have an opportunity to play at the next level. Obviously, all pitchers are not created equal. As far as Smesny @ Dayton, he is a big strong kid, a more physically mature high school senior than most. He more than likely can handle a greater load...but it all comes down to wear and tear from repetitions over time.  You start getting up to 120-130+ pitches...that's alot.

Just my two cents.

I have kept up with most of smesnys pitch counts and he's usually between 85-105 pitches. He usually gets a lot of quick innings and his counts are usually low b/c he doesn't issue many walk. He doesn't have as much wear and tear as ya'll think. Franks a strong kid. Good luck at angelina and hopefully the next level.

Big strong kid, still has a young arm. Don't really know the kid. All I know is that he looks like he has a future in front of him and I don't agree with him throwing 130 pitches and hitting 6 kids plus velocity is down. A win is not worth hurting his future. He should have came out of that game before he did, don't take the risk. Just my two cents.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder