WO-S boys shine at 21-3A Track & Field Championships

WO-S boys shine at 21-3A Track & Field Championships

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

SILSBEE — A lot of track fans have been waiting with anticipation to watch the West Orange-Stark tracksters hit the track in the running finals of the District 21-3A Track & Field Championships Thursday.

However, those that might have missed the field events portion of the meet Tuesday at Silsbee High School missed a treat.

The Mustangs won four of seven events in the boys’ field Tuesday to score 85 points, easily outdistancing second-place Bridge City (48) and third-place Orangefield (35).

WO-S had two double-winners Tuesday in junior Trey Franks in both the triple and long jumps while senior Eric Arnold won both the discus and shot put.

Franks set two new Southeast Texas standards for the season in both of his jumps.

The most dramatic one came on his last jump of the day in the long jump. He went into the last leap in third place but jumped a whopping 22-11 on his last one to top Silsbee’s Jeremy Johnson (22-10) by a 1/2 inch.

“I knew I had a regional berth locked up but I wanted to win district bad in both events,†said Franks. “I moved my steps back on that last one and I was able to get more air on that one because I didn’t on my earlier jumps.â€

Franks went a monstrous 45-3 1/4 in the triple jump to edge teammate James Haynes (43-9 1/4).

Franks made that mark on his second jump after going 45 feet on his first one and didn’t jump anymore after that in the event.

“I really got some air on those first two jumps,†said Franks. “I hit the board perfect on the first jump and got the height I wanted there at the end. The competition in our district is awesome. I just wanted to come out and give it my all.â€

Haynes was also third in the long jump (21-1 3/4).

Arnold won the discus with a nice toss of 134-10 but it was his 51-3 first-place finish in the shot that impressed the most.

Arnold already had the lead with a 49-foot toss early on but on his last heave of the day, he hung one out there.

“The pressure was off on the last throw and I just wanted to go out there and explode on that last one,†said Arnold. “My best all season has been around 46 feet and I’ve been throwing 48 in practice so I knew I could break out a big one if I put it all together. It would be great if I can get another one like that in regionals.â€

There was quite a nice Orange County battle in the high jump between Bridge City’s Justin Reynolds and Orangefield’s Derrick Evans. Both cleared personal bests, going 6-4 as Reynolds claimed first-place with fewer misses.

Bridge City also received a first-place finish by Seth Slawson in the pole vault as he went 12-6 while Orangefield’s Kyle Fontenot was second (12-0).

Grisly veteran Cardinal distance runner Tim Cude punched his ticket to the regional meet for the third consecutive year as he won the 3,200 meters in 10:07.19, 42 seconds faster than runner-up Daniel Lepsch of Silsbee.

“It was really warm out here today, so I had to adjust early,†said Cude. “It’s always great to win district. Now the goal is to get to state and I definitely want to get under that 10-minute mark. Right now I think I have the third fastest time in the region and the top two go to state. I’m right there, I just need to go out and do it.â€

One of the bigger surprises of the day came from Orangefield Lady Bobcat sophomore Kayla Williams. Williams won the 3,200 meters in 12:26.13, outdistancing Bridge City freshman standout Meagan Shockley (12:34.85), who ran a personal-best time, and Lady Cardinal senior Mary Nguyen (12:37.09).

“In the last two meets I’ve improved my best time by 26 seconds,†said Williams. “I knew that if I stayed with the Bridge City girls early and was close, I could finish strong. I really felt good the last couple laps and had a lot of kick left at the end that helped me a lot.â€

Fellow Lady Bobcat Kaitlynn Henson won the high jump with a leap of 5-2 and Orangefield’s Allie Beach won the discus (96-3).

WO-S’ Bethani Orebo was a nice surprise in the shot put, tossing a personal-best 31-9 to win it.

Another big winner Tuesday was Silsbee Lady Tiger Chastity Foster, who set new area marks in both the long jump (19-1 1/2) and the triple jump (40-4 1/2). The Silsbee girls lead the meet with 46 1/2 points with Bridge City in second with 40.

The meet picks back up again Thursday at Silsbee High School with the running finals set for 6 p.m.

Here are the results of the District 21-3A Track & Field Championships after the field events and 3,200 meters at Silsbee High School Tuesday:

BOYS DIVISION

Long jump: 1. Trey Franks, WO-S, 22-11; 2. Jeremy Johnson, Silsbee, 22-10 1/2; 3. James Haynes, WO-S, 21-1 3/4.

Discus: 1. Eric Arnold, WO-S, 134-10; 2. Logan Moss, Orangefield, 126-3; 3. Phillip Williams, Hamshire-Fannett, 123-11.

Triple jump: 1. Trey Franks, WO-S, 45-3 1/4; 2. James Haynes, WO-S, 43-9 1/4; 3. Jerry Landry, Bridge City, 42-4.

Pole vault: 1. Seth Slawson, Bridge City, 12-6; 2. Kyle Fontenot, Orangefield, 12-0; 3. Garrett Holmes, 11-6.

High jump: 1. Justin Reynolds, Bridge City, 6-4; 2. Derrick Evans, Orangefield, 6-4; 3. Trevor Bell, Hamshire-Fannett, 6-3.

Shot put: 1. Eric Arnold, 51-3; 2. Patrick Mueller, Hamshire-Fannett, 43-1; 3. Stephen Cook, WO-S, 42-4.

3,200 meters: 1. Tim Cude, Bridge City, 10:07.19; 2. Daniel Lepsch, Silsbee, 10:50.08; 3. Devon Griffin, WO-S, 10:51.97.

Point standings: 1. WO-S 85; 2. Bridge City 48; 3. Orangefield 35; 4. Hamshire-Fannett 26; 5. Silsbee 21; 6. Hardin-Jefferson 2.

GIRLS DIVISION

Long jump: 1. Chastity Foster, Silsbee, 19-1 1/2; 2. Beatrice Douglas, Silsbee, 16-10 1/2; 3. Johnesha Sims, WO-S, 16-5 1/2.

Discus: 1. Allie Beach, Orangefield, 96-3; 2. Dyanna Strickland, Silsbee, 79-7; 3. Joanna Monk, Hamshire-Fannett, 79-4.

Triple jump: 1. Chastity Foster, Silsbee, 40-4 1/2; 2. Danyelle Thomas, WO-S, 34-9 1/2; 3. Beatrice Douglas, Silsbee, 34-4.

Pole vault: 1. Tyler Block, Orangefield, 8-0; 2. Blair Bishop, Bridge City, 6-0; 3. Stormee Jannise, Hamshire-Fannett, 6-0.

High jump: 1. Kaitlynn Henson, Orangefield, 5-2; 2. Courtney Prudhomme, Hamshire-Fannett, 5-1; 3. Alex Holland, Bridge City, 5-0.

Shot put: 1. Bethani Orebo, WO-S, 31-9; 2. Rachel Wilson, Hardin-Jefferson, 31-3; 3. Samantha Francis, Hardin-Jefferson, 30-5 1/4.

3,200 meters: 1. Kayla Williams, Orangefield, 12:26.13; 2. Meagan Shockley, Bridge City, 12:34.85; 3. Mary Nguyen, Bridge City, 12:37.09.

Point standings: 1. Silsbee 46 1/2; 2. Bridge City 40; 3. Hamshire-Fannett 36; 4. Orangefield 35 1/2; 5. WO-S 28; 6. Hardin-Jefferson 20.

Until I see the list of official results again on Thursday, I am not going to make any changes just yet. By my count, Orangefiels girls should have 41 1/2 points based on my posts. But I may have made a mistake on the results. I'll check Thursday for the official count and make the adjustment if needed.

Okay, after doing further research, these are the OFFICIAL point standings after all the field events and the 3200 meter for both boys and girls. You can view these official results at KOGT where the have the MEET MANAGER results sheets in PDF.

Boys

WOS     84

BC        48

OF        35

HF        26

Silsbee  21

HJ         2

Girls

Silsbee     46.5

OF           46.5

BC           40

HF           36

WOS        28

HJ            20

What's up with HJ's track team?

I talked to a person from HJ yesterday at the meet and he told me that the interest for track is just not there at HJ. I think in time, Coach Martel will have HJ doing well in all their sports. David was a great all around athlete and I think you'll see things get better over there in other sports.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami