High School vs. Astros

Guest BC boy 17

Good discussion going on, but back to the original question...What a stupid question to ask!!!  Uhhh, no, I don't believe any of our high school teams could beat the Astros.  I read where someone wrote that anything could happen, well you could get hit by a falling piece of "space junk", but theres not much of a chance of that either.  Anyway....I say NO.

here's something different. could your high school team beat Astros? (without Oswalt pitching) lol

or could the 2009 SETXsports team beat them?

of course not.  if they played a full 9 inning game, the stros would probably put up 30 runs on them, and not concede one.

cardinal guy get real now..........name the 5 or 6 guys that could go play double AA right now.......

Hicks could pitch also probably Nathan from WB

Felts, the homerun hitter from PNG to name a few  :P ok maybe I got a little carried away

Matthew Purke, lefthander from Klein might be able to throw in AA right now. I cannot think of anyone else.

Hicks is a great pitcher, great athlete for that matter but remember he is throwing in AAA high school ball. Felts, great hitter that's also in AAA high school ball......from Orangefield not PNG.

It's sad that the 'Stros are so bad that we even have a "tongue-in-cheek" thread such as this. 

cardinal guy get real now..........name the 5 or 6 guys that could go play double AA right now.......

Felts, the homerun hitter from PNG to name a few  :P ok maybe I got a little carried away

07 Do you have a job? I think you just do this all day where can I get a job like that?

Matthew Purke, lefthander from Klein might be able to throw in AA right now. I cannot think of anyone else.

Hicks is a great pitcher, great athlete for that matter but remember he is throwing in AAA high school ball. Felts, great hitter that's also in AAA high school ball......from Orangefield not PNG.

It's sad that the 'Stros are so bad that we even have a "tongue-in-cheek" thread such as this. 

Guys,

I really enjoy reading all of the posts, but come on.  I pay attention to this site, along with a few others throughout the state, as a scout, to hopefully come across kids that may not be on other people's radar.  Simply because, if I find a "Diamond in the Rough", I may get a promotion, and It's my job to do that.  I respect the opinions of all of the members of this site, otherwise I would pay no attention, but this post is a little out of hand.  With all due respect to everyone, and absolutely no offense meant, the sense of reality within this post, is a bit skewed.  There are (Have Been) good high school baseball players in Southeast Texas.  If I named some, I would offend others, so I won't, but when you start talking about professionals and who could play AA right now, I must interject.  We are paid to figure that out, and we get it wrong WAY more than we get it right.  I will simply give you the percentages and leave it at that.

1       Will make it to(not stay in) the Big Leagues

1,000   Will sign some sort of Pro Contract

10,000  Will Play College Ball

100,000  High School Seniors

Guys,

I really enjoy reading all of the posts, but come on.  I pay attention to this site, along with a few others throughout the state, as a scout, to hopefully come across kids that may not be on other people's radar.  Simply because, if I find a "Diamond in the Rough", I may get a promotion, and It's my job to do that.  I respect the opinions of all of the members of this site, otherwise I would pay no attention, but this post is a little out of hand.  With all due respect to everyone, and absolutely no offense meant, the sense of reality within this post, is a bit skewed.  There are (Have Been) good high school baseball players in Southeast Texas.  If I named some, I would offend others, so I won't, but when you start talking about professionals and who could play AA right now, I must interject.  We are paid to figure that out, and we get it wrong WAY more than we get it right.  I will simply give you the percentages and leave it at that.

Well said. Just curious...what about the Purke kid from Klein I mentioned earlier ? Any chance @ AA ?

Matt Purke is the real deal.  He is projected to be a 1st round pick, and his signing with TCU is only a bargaining tool.  A 1st round pick will receive a 7 figure bonus, and most likely a guaranteed Major League contract.  You have to understand that when teams draft players, it is because they have qualities that could get them to the big leagues.  Teams don't draft players thinking they will be AA players.  The biggest jump in Pro Baseball is from A ball to AA.  The majority of players in AA could be successful in the big leagues, it simply comes down to getting the chance.  Anyone in AA or AAA is a phone call away.  This discussion is actually an insult to AA players, not that anyone meant it to be, but you must understand how hard it is to get even that far in pro ball.  There are guys at every level, including the independent level, that could play in the big leagues right now.  There are more guys in A ball and independent ball that throw 95 than in the big leagues.  I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

Matt Purke is the real deal.  He is projected to be a 1st round pick, and his signing with TCU is only a bargaining tool.  A 1st round pick will receive a 7 figure bonus, and most likely a guaranteed Major League contract.  You have to understand that when teams draft players, it is because they have qualities that could get them to the big leagues.  Teams don't draft players thinking they will be AA players.  The biggest jump in Pro Baseball is from A ball to AA.  The majority of players in AA could be successful in the big leagues, it simply comes down to getting the chance.  Anyone in AA or AAA is a phone call away.  This discussion is actually an insult to AA players, not that anyone meant it to be, but you must understand how hard it is to get even that far in pro ball.  There are guys at every level, including the independent level, that could play in the big leagues right now.  There are more guys in A ball and independent ball that throw 95 than in the big leagues.  I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

I believe you and in my opinion, the best baseball in the minor leagues is probably played at the AA level. Those rosters are mostly filled with an organization's best young prospects and AAA has a bunch of players that can play, but aren't true prospects that will play regularly at the MLB level.

Guys,

As a math teacher, I love the number comparison.

Our high school kids need to know that only 1 out of 100,000 will make it to the big leagues.

That is 0.001%.

Better hit the books if you are lucky enough to end up with a collage scholarship (about 1 out of 10).

As far as high school kids from an area of the state beating ANY pro team, FORGET it!

Wouldn't EVEN be close!

Very imformative. Thanks. Signability and projectibility/upside are the words we keep hearing the most.

Guys,

thanks for putting things in proper prospective

Sure...anything is possible...   Not very likely,,,but nevertheless possible.

That would be pretty cool to see..a SETX HS all-star team vs. the Astros...that would be something those kids would remember for the rest of their lives..and if they happened to win...WOW!!!!

The players that are on the Astros are in the major leagues for a reason....  They are good at what they do...and as for the SETX HS all-star team that played them, would remember the game as the biggest killing of their lives. 

hicks this, hicks that, hicks could probably go play AA ball.  Cardinal Guy get his autograph, put it on your wall, and kiss it every night before you go to bed.... But keep your love for him to yourself.

Yeah i have to agree with draftbus.  I played on a high school baseball team in the mid 90's for East Chambers.  We had 4 or 5 all state ball players and only one of them played more than one year of college ball.  They were awesome in high school, but that doesnt translate to a successful college career much less making it to the pros. So you could pick the best high school players in the nation and the game wouldnt be close. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics