4 outs in one inning ????

We had a scenario that happened to us a few weeks ago that I have never seen happen before.

Here it is....

One out with runners at 2nd and 3rd. ball is hit to center field and caught for the second out.

runner at second tags up and runs to third but is thrown out by the centerfielder.

the runner at third had already crossed the plate before the third out was made but DID NOT tag up so

the ball was thrown to third and the appeal was made and the umps called the runner out for the

fourth out.

OK...the question is if the team on the field did not appeal the runner not tagging at third and just settled for the

third out and went into the dugout what is the appropriate call from the umps if they know the runner did not tag?

Is this a true triple play?.......Can you have 4 outs in one inning?....what would have happened if the appeal was not made?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen before.

If NO appeal is made and the runner crossed the plate before the 3rd out then run scored . Yes you can have 4 outs in an inning.

Very impressive!  You must be hanging out with a better class of umpire lately.  ;D

I don't know about 4 outs in an inning, but I once saw 3 stolen bases on one play before.  ;D

If NO appeal is made and the runner crossed the plate before the 3rd out then run scored . Yes you can have 4 outs in an inning.

Very impressive!  You must be hanging out with a better class of umpire lately.  ;D

I don't know about 4 outs in an inning, but I once saw 3 stolen bases on one play before.  ;D

Hey, I think I remember seeing that myself.  ;D ;D ;)

Think we had a "You make the call" on something similar to this situation before. What I gathered from that thread is that a fielder should be in contact with 3rd base yelling appeal at some point before she receives the throw. Then apply the tag to the runner tagging from 2B.  Then let the umpires and coaches figure it out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder