Ozen coach not aware of player's arrest

Guest DickVitale

So, you mean to tell me Willie Jefferson is the FIRST and ONLY kid in SE Texas to be pulled over with marijuana or whatever else in the car and get arrested? NO. Its the ONLY one reported though.....wonder why? ???

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forfeit????

Please....Be rational here. Suspended, kicked off? Yes.

I remember my alma mater had a turd player years back, (Clay knows who I am talking about). This kid was always in trouble and had the cuffs put on once or twice and he still played. Set records too.

Trust me coop..........Why do you think he left HJ after his sophomore year.  Because HJ wont let the stuff happen!!!!!!!  I played with him...........I know!!!!!!!!

Punishment is not fining the parent because the kid has no means probably to pay the fine. Everyone except the kid is suffering the punishment here! Sign of the times I guess! The coach,administration,the school, and the parents are suffering, the perpetrator not so much if you ask me. So the whole "double punishment" is not an argument. If I got a DWI however I would also lose my job now that is to be expected right? The state has their way with me and then I get fired because of it now that's punishment. It's all accountability in the end and unfortunately our society has all but waved that old ideal, we are now turning into a society of victims.

So, you mean to tell me Willie Jefferson is the FIRST and ONLY kid in SE Texas to be pulled over with marijuana or whatever else in the car and get arrested? NO. Its the ONLY one reported though.....wonder why? ???

Who knows or who cares!!!!  What is BISD going to do?  Anything?

I am sure that the media has it out for Ozen??? ::) ::) ::)

He goes to one of the most succesful programs in the STATE OF TEXAS!!!!! Of course it is going to be covered in the news more.  Who do you think they are going to cover........a kid going to play wide receiver at Baylor from Ozen or a kid from HJ going to play for Mary Hardin Baylor.  

I do agree they should leave saveat alone because there is question in whether he knew or not.  

Guest DickVitale

BISD is going to let the local law enforcement in Orange deal with Willie....I would bet that Marquis will sit Willie for the remaining district ball games as punishment...AND he STILL has to answer to the court system...Think thats enough? Or should they take his scholarship to Baylor away too? Maybe not let him graduate either....SE Texans are really something else.... ::) ::)

BISD is going to let the local law enforcement in Orange deal with Willie....I would bet that Marquis will sit Willie for the remaining district ball games as punishment...AND he STILL has to answer to the court system...Think thats enough? Or should they take his scholarship to Baylor away too? Maybe not let him graduate either....SE Texans are really something else.... ::) ::)

Let the law system handle it........YES

Take scholarship away......BAYLOR'S DECISION

Not let him graduate.....NO

Kick him off team......ABSOLUTELY

Sitting for two is not punishment.......it is a JOKE!!!!!  That just tells gets that smoke some dope and you only miss two games!!!!!  Typical of todays society though!!!!!

Guest DickVitale

He was cited for possesion, not smoking dope...Besides it was four others in the car, and Willie took the blame for all of it...Think he was in it alone? NOPE. Bad company, and he has to make better decisions....A two game suspension for this is fair...He has to deal with it in court also, why compile it? TEACH kids, don't DESTROY them.

Dicky V.............You can bet your @%^ if this were to have happened in August his scholarship would be GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!  And that is why you kick him straight off the team.............so he doesnt do it again.  If they dont............they are doing the kid a disservice.  PERIOD!!!!!!

Guest nostradamus

Dicky,

I disagree.......it is not okay (and certainly not to the schools discretion) to just let the law handle it.  In fact, upon review of handbooks, both athletic and ISD, the school is required  (upon knowledge) to take whatever action is laid out in the handbooks.  Again, on or off campus doesn't matter when it comes to misdemeanors and felonies.  I don't care who it is. 

Well thank GOD that it didn't....You folks on here sometimes sound like you WANT certain kids to fail.... ::) ::)...Good ole SE Texas.

Trust me I want the kid to succeed........I am a friend of Art Briles and cheer for Baylor every Saturday.  I will be on the sideline a few times next year at Baylor hopefully watching him.  I also want him to learn a lesson and not mess up at Baylor or in his future after Baylor.  If they don't do the right thing they will be doing the kid a disservice.  His life is the only one that matters in the end.

Guest DickVitale

Nos,

How can you justify punishing SOME kids if they are popular enough to make the local newspaper and not punish ALL kids that these things happen to? Thats all I am saying....YES, the kid should be dealt with, but don't DESTROY the kid is all I am saying...

Guest DickVitale

Well thank GOD that it didn't....You folks on here sometimes sound like you WANT certain kids to fail.... ::) ::)...Good ole SE Texas.

Trust me I want the kid to succeed........I am a friend of Art Briles and cheer for Baylor every Saturday.  I will be on the sideline a few times next year at Baylor hopefully watching him.  I also want him to learn a lesson and not mess up at Baylor or in his future after Baylor.  If they don't do the right thing they will be doing the kid a disservice.  His life is the only one that matters in the end.

YES....I completely agree. However is the right thing removing him from basketball for the season? Now he is accounted for EVERY day, and some of the potential bad things can't happen if you are playing ball...Remember this is not a suburban kid we are talking about, and thats where you guys are missing the boat on him.

Nos,

How can you justify punishing SOME kids if they are popular enough to make the local newspaper and not punish ALL kids that these things happen to? Thats all I am saying....YES, the kid should be dealt with, but don't DESTROY the kid is all I am saying...

I hate to break it to you but kicking a kid off of a basketball team when he is going to play college football is hardly destroying him.  It is teaching him the difference between right and wrong!  Until you take something important away you wont learn!

Guest DickVitale

Nos,

I hate to break it to you but kicking a kid off of a basketball team when he is going to play college football is hardly destroying him.  It is teaching him the difference between right and wrong!  Until you take something important away you wont learn!

OK, but what do you take away from ole "JOE BLOW" that plays NOTHING, sells pot, gets arrested and is at school everyday? Do you even find out about those kids? Probably not, unless he KILLS someone.

Guest tigersvoice

Come on Dickie V, why do you generalize like this?  If you can, float this example around other parts of the state/nation and see what you get.  I'm thinking reactions very similar to these. 

Good lord dicky... what would you do at lscpa if one of your players got popped for possession??  They have rules outlined and they must be followed. He should not be let off because he is a good ball player or a popular kid... Come on... Follow the rules that you have set in the BISD handbook... Quit trying to cover for this kid...  This is how it should be handled on all kids... not just him...

Nos,

OK, but what do you take away from ole "JOE BLOW" that plays NOTHING, sells pot, gets arrested and is at school everyday? Do you even find out about those kids? Probably not, unless he KILLS someone.

They end up in the prison system.... :'(

I guess that the leafy green stuff that the cop saw on his jeans was just some clovers they picked up in the yard huh, or was it parsley?  I don't care if it is a no name, a famous person at some point you have to set a precedence and make a point.  Unfortunately this time it is a player from Ozen who some of you think are the almighty in high school hoops!!!!!

Guest nostradamus

Dicky,

Here's the difference between a student-athlete who plays for arguably the most prominent basketball program in this area (and state) and "Joe Blow"......one is just "Joe Blow" and the other represents a school, school district, and area outside of school hours and is expected to act and represent the aforementioned appropriately.  Does that mean that "Joe Blow" isn't handled the same for the same crime?  Absolutely not......"Joe Blow" will be handled the same but, you likely will not hear about it because "Joe Blow" isn't a stud wide receiver and basketball player......unfortunately, that just comes with the territory.

I have spoken with some administrators to make sure that what I am saying is accurate.  I get very intrigued by the legal responsibilities of a school district.  Basically what I have already said is correct.  If said school district finds out that ANY student has committed a crime then said school district MUST (has no choice) deal with it according to their district policy and athletic policy.  Also, I found out (which I did not previously know) that even though the school district did not know until now that they can be held responsible and be forced for "back action" so to speak on the issue.  Meaning anything that said student-athlete participated in up until that point (of finding out) can be taken back (i.e. forfeit of extracurricular activities participated in) and that if said school district doesn't handle/comply properly then the UIl/TEA could step in and handle it, should it be pursued.

Think about it like this........if a school discovered (see Dallas SOC) that an ineligible player played in games long after he/she became ineligible then, upon finding out, the previous games participated in would have to be forfeited.  No difference here guys......

*****Please read my posts carefully.  I am not stating my opinion on this situation.  Everything I have stated is fact according to ISD's/state guidelines.  I am not wishing ill-will on anyone at all.  I do believe that situations like this MUST be handled correctly because if you don't "dot your i's and cross your t's" it can come back to haunt you in an even bigger way later down the road (again....see Dallas SOC).*******

Nos,

You are damn right Dicky.  Nothing is taken away from "JOE BLOW" so he keeps doing it and goes to jail.  You and I neither one of us want this to happen to this kid!

Dickie

I dont understand what us being from SE texas has to do with anything? Are you saying schools everywhere around the country just let this stuff go? I think not. They all get punished. As a football and basketball player you are representing the school at all times. Not just when they are on the field. Extra Curricular activities are a priviledge. Those participants should be held to a higher standard. And he can't obey the law then he shouldn't be able to play basketball. Basketball is a reward to these kids for staying out of trouble and passing all of your classes. He did not stay out of trouble so you must take away the reward.

I dont blame Saveat for not knowing because there is no way he could have known. But now that he does know he should suspend the player indefinitely so he can get his life straight.

As far as Baylor I would not be surprised the least bit he got his scholarship ripped away. Baylor is a prestigious Christian school that doesnt allow alcohol on campus. I am pretty sure they don't want players who get caught with weed either. Art Briles is a smart guy who doesn't want to risk any bad media for his team if this guy gets caught with weed when he is there. If the school is going to give this guy a free ride through college I have no problem if they dont want to do that since the kid now has a history with drugs.

Joe Blow student does not get the attention and is neglected and ends up in jail or dead due to addiction.  Joe Blow athlete gets held accountable and hopefully learns from it.  He may not get the publicity but that is what happens when you are not the star.  Notoriety for skill also brings with it the publicity when you mess up.  It's the nature of the beast.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder