Hey Indian fans...for what its worth..re: CRAIG STUMP STAYING AT WB!!

PNG1992

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob just confirmed my original statement on this board about the PN-G list.  I stated, with the exception of Danaher, and I'll now add Vance, this list is not very impressive. 

From Bob West, PA News

If Corpus Christi’s Phil Danaher and Liberty Hill’s Jerry Vance are really serious about the Port Neches-Groves football job, and not using it as leverage to get a raise or for something they want for their respective programs, then the PNGISD could wind up hitting a home run. But I’d be shocked if Danaher at age 60, and the winningest active coach in Texas, is serious about making what wouldn’t even be a lateral move. My sources around the state say Justin Northwest head coach Leonard McAngus, Ganado head coach Mike Rabe and Sante Fe head coach Brent Southworth merit a close look . . . When we finally received PN-G’s list of 35 applicants, I was amazed to see how few of the names were recognizable. So I called Lamar football coach Ray Woodard, whose roots and contacts run deep in Texas schoolboy football. Woodard and assistant coach Craig McGallion were able to identify five of the 35 coaches on the list.

This is going to cause an uproar, but what makes Stump so great. He went to WB in 05, that district is probably one of the weakest 5A districts in the state. Can't win the big game, blownout by Spring Westfield every year, and North Shore beats them around. Kids practically pick what school they want in Beaumont, so you have alot of talent and the best you can do is get to the third round. If you look at who WB gets in 1st and 2nd round playoffs, weak teams. Third round when they meet up with a big time school, that's right they get that butt handed to them. So the question is what has Stump done that makes him better than guy's thats won state championships or a young coach looking for a chance and truely wants to come to PNG? Don't give the old he turned WB into a powerhouse, because first they aren't a powerhouse, and two they were good when I was there in the early 90's. Not knocking Stump, but tired of the oohing and awing with no apparent substance.

You need some commas and periods!

I think he's a great Coach. 5A is tougher now than it ever has been Statewide with growing Schools and Enrollment. Stump knows where to put Players on the field and how to develop them.

me and coach stump think a like, hand it to the 5 star no 1 recruit in the nation.

Scalp'em  have you had your head in a hole for the last 4 years? Craig turn that program around.

First off, I hope you were kidding when you made that comment. WB had great success in the early 90's and then fell off when Rabb took over. Like i said with the talent coming to WB from all over Beaumont, they should be plowing over most teams they face. I think your the one that coached with him so your bias, but I'm not drooling wanting him. If he doesn't want to come here then that's fine, give us someone else. I simply asked a question and nobody has answered it without saying give the ball to the best athlete. I'm not a coach and I think I could figure that one out.

From your judgement it's good thing you are not a coach!! There was a lot more that went into coaching that team than give it to the #1 back. Did he play 11 on 1? No there were 10 other guys out there that helped that team be successful. And defense? To win you have to out score the other team. I was kidding... but I'm starting to wonder?

WB record last ten years.

YEAR   DISTRICT    W    L    T    COACH

2008   21-AAAAA    7    2    0    Craig Stump

2007   21-AAAAA   10    2    0    Craig Stump

2006   21-AAAAA    9    4    0    Craig Stump

2005   22-AAAAA    8    2    0    Craig Stump

2004   22-AAAAA    2    8    0    Al Rabb

2003   22-AAAAA    2    8    0    Al Rabb

2002   22-AAAAA    4    6    0    Al Rabb

2001   23-AAAAA    2    7    0    Al Rabb

2000   23-AAAAA    0   10    0    Al Rabb

1999   22-AAAAA    1    9    0    Al Rabb

And they lost to Katy and Cy Falls who both played in the state title game the year they beat out WB. Say what you want about the talent being better at WB than PNG (I agree), but the talent gap from the 5A elite to WB is much, much larger than the gap from the 4A elite to PNG or any other 4A program for that matter.

From your judgement it's good thing you are not a coach!! There was a lot more that went into coaching that team than give it to the #1 back. Did he play 11 on 1? No there were 10 other guys out there that helped that team be successful. And defense? To win you have to out score the other team. I was kidding... but I'm starting to wonder?

Actually my give it to the top athlete was from a preious post made. I understand the team concept as I was part of the successful teams at WB in the early 90's. By the way we had probably one of the most explosive offenses and stingy defenses(Ask Coop what we did to his Stangs in 91) with James Brown at QB, but what I want to know is coming to PNG your not going to have a James Brown, or Calvin Collins, Frank Middleton, David garrett, Ronald Antoine, and so on. What does he do to make him such a great coach that everyone is so hyped up on. BTW, unless they've changed the numbers of varsity players, WB usually suits out 55-56 players. Always been like that unless changed.

Every year i was there we had less than 45 players suited out....Central and ozen both had kids playing at postions that were athletically better than the kids we had at some of  the positions......The athletic pool at west brook is not even close to what they had in the 90s....Craig has done as much or more with less athletes. Just come to game and see or are you coaching at Kelly on Friday nights?

If you did play football or coach then you know there is a difference in suiting up PLAYERS and suiting up BODIES. Even this year They had 15 to 16 PLAYERS, and 4 or 5 BODIES and NO back -ups. There is a huge difference in the KATY's and West Field and WB I PROMISE!!!!!

Never claimed to be a high school coach, only a player and an avid HS football fan. I understand what your saying, my wife taught at Katy for 3 years one of which they beat Southlake Carroll. I just see one 10 game win season with Stump as HD. Look at Vance, Danaher. Garrett played for Plano winning back to back state titles, Faircloth been around programs like Highland Park, Odessa Permian, Westlake. It's just my opinion these guys are just as impressive. Once again no knock on Stump, but I think people see what Dodge did, and since Stump was from the same school and era that he's going to be the same way. Dodge had alot of talent at his fingertips with NFL players kids and big time MONEY area to back whatever he did.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder