Outfielders

Jeremy Pinder (HF)

Hagen Daigle (HF)

Sean O’Connell (Kel)

Jacob Lynch (PNG)

Amir Jalai (PNG)

Luke Rhodes (BC)

Best of the Rest

Henk (Crosby), Babino (Ned), Smensy (Day), Dean (Ned), Brady (Ned), Teracino (Ned), Foret (WB), Hagel (Vid), Hester,M (Vid), Erickson (Lum), Bingham (WB), Ricossa (HJ), Henderson (WB), Henton (KEL), Laird(Ned), Stone (PNG), Woods (PNG), Wadell (LCM), Estes (LCM), DeRon (PNG), Koenig (HF), Roberts (Ned), Sangster (PNG),  Griffin (Vid), Sweetingham (PNG), Weathersbee (PNG), Matthews (BC), Clark (Buna), Baxter (Buna), Sheppard (Buna), Kelly (Sil), Rocha (BH), Darnell (WOS), Henscey (BH), Hubbard (BC), Snyder (BC), Padgett (BH), Phillips (Jas), Prewitt (Kel)

I would put our talent on this enitre team up against any area teams in not only the state but the entire nation.

I am so proud of our local baseball players and coaches. Congratulations to everyone one of these guys.

Some great names on this list.

Do yourself a favor people and go out and watch some baseball this year. If you are not impressed, you are simply blind.

Kudos admin on all your hard work.

Guest patriot117

If Barbers Hill has THAT much talent on the pitching staff, why have they not done more in the playoffs?  They pitched Ross Hales until his arm nearly fell off the last few years.

I think it shows a difference in "pitching" and "throwing." A ton of emphasis is placed on velocity and in some cases it's a difference maker. The scouts will not even give you a sniff if you are less than +87 mph. However, if you only "throw" hard, a good hitter will wear your fastball out. This is not Little League any more.

That being said, BH may have some good "throwers", but I've seen Hester, Bellow, and Statum "pitch" and you'll be hard pressed to find any better.

If Barbers Hill has THAT much talent on the pitching staff, why have they not done more in the playoffs?  They pitched Ross Hales until his arm nearly fell off the last few years.

I think it shows a difference in "pitching" and "throwing." A ton of emphasis is placed on velocity and in some cases it's a difference maker. The scouts will not even give you a sniff if you are less than +87 mph. However, if you only "throw" hard, a good hitter will wear your fastball out. This is not Little League any more.

That being said, BH may have some good "throwers", but I've seen Hester, Bellow, and Statum "pitch" and you'll be hard pressed to find any better.

Hey Patriot...

You may wanna get your facts straight before popping off about something you don't seem to know much about. BH did not throw Hales

until his arm fell off the last few years. 2007 Ross Hales threw 75.0 innings, Kendall Thamm threw 74 2/3 innings, Hunter Silva threw 35+, and Jonathan Kelley threw 20+. 2008, Hales was around 80 innings, Thamm and Silva were at 40, and Kelley was at 25. Both of these two years Hales threw his one start a week, nothing more nothing less.  Trust me, that ain't making anyone's arm fall off. 2006, Hales didn't even lead the team in innings pitched.  2007 BH lost to a very good Montgomery team in the Region 3 semi-finals. 2008 lost in area round to Bay City for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with pitching....and things I'm not willing to discuss on an open forum. Thamm threw a 3-hitter and lost in game 3. Silva threw a complete game shut out in game 2. All four of these kids signed on to play college ball and all four these kids gathered attention from several MLB scouts. ALL four of these kids will throw significant innings this year as freshman. I'll be even bold enough to say 2, maybe 3, quite possibly all 4 of them will sign professional contracts in the future. Now that we cleared that up and I feel better, lets talk about this year.

Does BH have the same quality of pitchers ? NO. Will BH have anyone throwing 90+ ? NO. You will see one/two at 86-89. You will see one with one of the best high school sliders I've seen. BH will have 4 solid , quality arms that have waited their turn because of the guys that were in front of them. Keep in my mind before the 2007 season, Thamm wasn't a blip on the map, had even smelled varsity. One of this year's guys could do the same thing. I'll even be bold enough to say, if BH pitchers stay healthy they will win district 19-4A despite losing all of last year's pitching.

Just my two cents...maybe four cents.

I'm a little surprised at the (lack of) pitchers from BH. My recollection is that BH graduated a slew of 90+mph pitchers but had several more in the wings for this year. Is that true?

There doesn't seem to be many BH fans nomianting on the board this year. Mine graduated last year, so I'm taking a less active role, if you will. None of this year's BH pitchers have more than 10 or so innings of varsity experience. That doesn't mean they can't have good years. I just do not feel comfortable nominating any for that reason. Look for Burditt, Peterson, and Rocha to have solid years. Carmona will see some time on the bump also. Unfortunately, junior Michael Bounds torn an ACL in basketball and will miss the season. Don't get wrong, this kids are not Hester or Hicks.

Guest patriot117

You are correct in saying that I do not know all the facts. I make my statements based only on what I saw the last few times he pitched (including the last playoff game) compared to what he was doing early in the season. I seems that he was throwing a lot of meaningless innings late in district when BH was coasting. It was quite clear that he had lost some velocity. I guess I would be more interested in pitch counts than innings pitched. Something was just not right.

I will agree that BH is the team to beat in 19-4A.  That have a strong baseball program with good athletes. It just baffles me as to why they are not able to accomplish more. Most schools are forced to ride one horse all season, they always seem to have three or four in the stables. When 3 of your starting pitchers go to the next level, you should have more to show for it.  Good Luck to you guys.

sometimes things happen in a playoff situation and a team does not advance but without question BH had the best pitching staff in the area last season( IMO the best wound up at Angelina) and I would bet that they will be plenty salty again this year

BH lost to Bay City in the playoffs last year. When you play a good team as many times as they played sooner or later they will get you.  BH had beat them several if not every time the last couple years starting with scrimmages, regular season games and playoff games.  BH  probably won 8 out of 10 games just not when it counted the most.

You are correct in saying that I do not know all the facts. I make my statements based only on what I saw the last few times he pitched (including the last playoff game) compared to what he was doing early in the season. I seems that he was throwing a lot of meaningless innings late in district when BH was coasting. It was quite clear that he had lost some velocity. I guess I would be more interested in pitch counts than innings pitched. Something was just not right.

I will agree that BH is the team to beat in 19-4A.  That have a strong baseball program with good athletes. It just baffles me as to why they are not able to accomplish more. Most schools are forced to ride one horse all season, they always seem to have three or four in the stables. When 3 of your starting pitchers go to the next level, you should have more to show for it.  Good Luck to you guys.

I may have overreacted somewhat in my response...my apologies.  Hales arm was certainly "different" in the latter part of the season. However, in defense of the coaches it was not from overuse. Personally, I think he may have had a minor injury. That and Hales did not throw much in the summer w/ the Sun Devils....but then again pitchers are all different. Maybe Hales doesn't need to throw much in the summer. Mine ( Thamm) , on the other hand has better results by throwing all summer ( w/ more rest in between starts than in the season ). IMO, the 2007 and 2008 teams should have went to state. 2007 was lost when BH left 20+ runners stranded on base in two games against Montogomery in the Regional semi-finals. 2008 was a disaster mainly because of ...shall I say passing grades or lack thereof. In both seasons, BH was hurt by good timely hitting and not being able to move runners over on base. The pitching from all 4 kids was not the problem.

By the way, do not forget Jonathan Kelley he signed also...so it was actually 4 BH pithcers that are playing at the next level.  ;)

Good luck to you guys this year as well.

sometimes things happen in a playoff situation and a team does not advance but without question BH had the best pitching staff in the area last season( IMO the best wound up at Angelina) and I would bet that they will be plenty salty again this year

You sound like a pitcher's Dad.  ;)

Appreciate the props.  ;D

• 2 months later...

2009 SETXsports Pre-Season Baseball Team

1st Team

MVP Trae Hester (Vidor)

Pitchers

Matt Hicks (BC)   

Nathan Svoboda (WB)

Catchers

Jacob Felts (OF)

Stefan Leger (LCM)

Infielders

Kirby Bellow (Ned)

Joe Robertson (BC)

Kane Benoit (PNG)

Chaz Bruce (Vid)

Jude Vidrine (Ned)

Jordan Pitts (Ned)

Outfielders

Jace Statum (OF)

Tim Barry (LCM)

Chris Muelner (WB)

Randy Musgrove (Kirb)

Blake Reyenga (PNG)

Matt Johnson (LCM)

DH

Stefan Cloren (LCM)

Ty Parker (Jas)

Utility

Chad Sims (Vid)

Aaron Morgan (WB)

2nd Team

Pitchers

Brandon Hillin (Buna)

Dallas Brown (LCM)

Catchers

Jake Ponder (BH)

JT Hallmark (EC)

Infielders

Taylor Eaves (HF)

Josh Skinner (Sil)

Jerin Spikes (PNG)

Connor McDonald (WB)

Tyler Ernest (Jas)

Cody Clifton (BH)

Outfielders

Jeremy Pinder (HF)

Hagen Daigle (HF)

Sean O’Connell (Kel)

Jacob Lynch (PNG)

Amir Jalai (PNG)

Luke Rhodes (BC)

Best of the Rest

Henk (Crosby), Babino (Ned), Smensy (Day), Dean (Ned), Brady (Ned), Teracino (Ned), Foret (WB), Hagel (Vid), Hester,M (Vid), Erickson (Lum), Bingham (WB), Ricossa (HJ), Henderson (WB), Henton (KEL), Laird(Ned), Stone (PNG), Woods (PNG), Wadell (LCM), Estes (LCM), DeRon (PNG), Koenig (HF), Roberts (Ned), Sangster (PNG),  Griffin (Vid), Sweetingham (PNG), Weathersbee (PNG), Matthews (BC), Clark (Buna), Baxter (Buna), Sheppard (Buna), Kelly (Sil), Rocha (BH), Darnell (WOS), Henscey (BH), Hubbard (BC), Snyder (BC), Padgett (BH), Phillips (Jas), Prewitt (Kel)

Hey Admin!!!! How bout a mid season REVISION if any with your thoughts.... ;D

2009 SETXsports Pre-Season Baseball Team

1st Team

MVP Trae Hester (Vidor)

Pitchers

Matt Hicks (BC)   

Nathan Svoboda (WB)

Catchers

Jacob Felts (OF)

Stefan Leger (LCM)

Infielders

Kirby Bellow (Ned)

Joe Robertson (BC)

Kane Benoit (PNG)

Chaz Bruce (Vid)

Jude Vidrine (Ned)

Jordan Pitts (Ned)

Outfielders

Jace Statum (OF)

Tim Barry (LCM)

Chris Muelner (WB)

Randy Musgrove (Kirb)

Blake Reyenga (PNG)

Matt Johnson (LCM)

DH

Stefan Cloren (LCM)

Ty Parker (Jas)

Utility

Chad Sims (Vid)

Aaron Morgan (WB)

2nd Team

Pitchers

Brandon Hillin (Buna)

Dallas Brown (LCM)

Catchers

Jake Ponder (BH)

JT Hallmark (EC)

Infielders

Taylor Eaves (HF)

Josh Skinner (Sil)

Jerin Spikes (PNG)

Connor McDonald (WB)

Tyler Ernest (Jas)

Cody Clifton (BH)

Outfielders

Jeremy Pinder (HF)

Hagen Daigle (HF)

Sean O’Connell (Kel)

Jacob Lynch (PNG)

Amir Jalai (PNG)

Luke Rhodes (BC)

Best of the Rest

Henk (Crosby), Babino (Ned), Smensy (Day), Dean (Ned), Brady (Ned), Teracino (Ned), Foret (WB), Hagel (Vid), Hester,M (Vid), Erickson (Lum), Bingham (WB), Ricossa (HJ), Henderson (WB), Henton (KEL), Laird(Ned), Stone (PNG), Woods (PNG), Wadell (LCM), Estes (LCM), DeRon (PNG), Koenig (HF), Roberts (Ned), Sangster (PNG),  Griffin (Vid), Sweetingham (PNG), Weathersbee (PNG), Matthews (BC), Clark (Buna), Baxter (Buna), Sheppard (Buna), Kelly (Sil), Rocha (BH), Darnell (WOS), Henscey (BH), Hubbard (BC), Snyder (BC), Padgett (BH), Phillips (Jas), Prewitt (Kel)

Hey Admin!!!! How bout a mid season REVISION if any with your thoughts.... ;D

Without much study, how did we leave off Logan Johnson (HF)? He is only 7-0 , 52 k's for the year. Let's have some comments of some players who didn't make this list but are producing for their team.

I'll review and make a few comments later.

How about one of these for the smaller south east texas schools? like 2a down? that would be interesting to me, just to see the guys that usually get covered up by all of these other guys ;)

Thats is exactly what we need... Being that the smaller schools don't get as much exposure. Im game for any help needed. I've seen every team in Evadale's district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami