How about moving Soccer Thread up a notch or 2 ? ?

If the local media took more interest in these kids as they do in football and basketball...........not just anybody can sit in the stands with great s/e texas winter weather.  It takes a real fan to brave this funk.  Only a parent or coach would understand...............I'm pretty well convinced the local media will never "get it".

If the local media took more interest in these kids as they do in football and basketball...........not just anybody can sit in the stands with great s/e texas winter weather.  It takes a real fan to brave this funk.  Only a parent or coach would understand...............I'm pretty well convinced the local media will never "get it".

i know what you're saying, as i've been playing for 20 years now.  that being said, why would the media cover something that draws probably 5% of the fans that the major sports draw around here.  i can't say i blame them.  the good news is that soccer is slowly closing the gap, and there seem to be a lot more soccer families these days.

why would the media cover something that draws probably 5% of the fans that the major sports draw around here.  i can't say i blame them. 

Put ANY OTHER SPORT  outdoors in near-freezing temperatures and rain, and take a look at the attendence figures.  I love it when people joke about "soccer weather."  This isn't soccer weather, it's Texas UIL soccer weather.  Soccer became a team sport after the big sports had established their seasons, and the UIL didn't want the soccer season to overlap with others.  Look around at the rest of the country and notice that a lot of their state championships are in November.  The NCAA's are done before Christmas.  Even the EPL in rainy England takes a "Winter Break."

Give us green grass and sunshine and I promise you that we would put the same people in the stands as basketball or baseball.

Having Texas high school soccer season in the fall would definitely mean better weather but on the flip side - wouldn't this prevent the football and volleyball players from playing soccer?  On the otherhand, I guess it'd would allow the basketball players to play soccer and vice versa.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder