Coaches

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've got to look at Bledsoe at Nederland. He has a great track record so far and does well at turning good athletes into great soccer players. He knows the game very well and has spent alot of time on the other side of the pitch as a player so he knows how to get through to players. I believe he was all-region coach recently, not sure which year. Nederland has had a drop in talent recently but he has done a great job in keeping the play at Nederland at a high level and maintaining the interest in the program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All this talk about these coaches because they are at public schools . . . Gotta give Fontana the top rating on this one. Ive trained under select, Houston and other coaches. Fontana knows the game. He trains his way and runs his team the way he wants ran. If we make a mistake its because we screwed up and we pay for it know matter who you are. He believes in the team "A team that passes together is a team that will win together" Fontana - He teaches everyone must play def. Thats just his way. Building a program is what he has Done for Kelly and i am proud to play for him. He probably could go coach at any school he wanted. So i give fontana the 1 one spot

Joe Fontana is probably the greatest coach to ever live or will live until the end of the world. And you can quote me on that. In his late teens and early twenties he has accomplished more (soccer wise) than most coaches accomplish in a lifetime. 2 titles and a shot at state in high school level and hes not even 25 yet. He turned the Kelly program around and I'm very confident he can take his squad and bring home the ring. Cheers to you Joe Fontana.

All the people i know that play for smith have not said one good thing about him.  Kelly soccer 04 won 2 games.  Next year Joe Fontana showed up and they made it all the way to state semi's.  Fontana knows what hes talkin about, and i would put money down that there is no other team in better shape than Kelly

Sharkfutbol.... OHH how little you know. Joe Fontana did exactly what you said. Let me paint a picture for you......Four years ago and a Kelly soccer team with no drive or direction they only ended up winning two games.. The very next year Joe Fontana comes to kelly and turns the team totally around kelly went from two wins the year before to district and regional champs. And the starting team was mainly seniors. Furthermore, you say and idiot can take a team that is loaded with talent and make them winners....that is stupid. A coach helps the players camo together as a team and he gives them inspiration and direction. And a great coach can take an amazing player whatch that person play and then tell them what they need to do to be better, which is what Joe does. and one more thing i would appreciate it if you would not refer to Joe Fontana as a lad, even though i dont know who or what you are, you could be a coach, player, parent, or fan it does not matter he is better than you

I am one of those loyal followers of joe. and i agree totally with what shark said, however, just because joe has not taken a team of misfits to the top does not mean he couldnt.  The way joe's seasons with kelly have gone since he has gotten there have been great, giving no need for a turnaround.  While Joe might not have made an enourmous turnaround for kelly, i do think he should be awarded some amount of points for keeping them where they are.  And i will say again Im not disagreeing wit shark that a good coach maybe be shown by making lots out of little, but its also something to take something and continue to work that will, even with seniors graduating

well sharkfutbol . . . you assume that you know the facts on Joe . . . His first club team was a bunch of guys that no body wanted . . . every club turned these players down . . . Joe came back from college and was asked to coach in the select club. Those guys worked for him and not only did they work and play hard they became something other than a team. A bunch of guys from different sides of mexico and different parts of SETX. He gave them a chance and stuck with them. They always didnt win. I know for a fact cause i played a year younger than that team he only picked up two or three other players during the 4 years he coached that team. So you can't say he always had the best talent. So are you saying that nederland and png dont have good players .  I thought there players were very good and i have played with some of them. Talent comes from how hard you work at it - and we work very hard to be good. I think if Joe would read this he would agree on Ned and Png coaches being better than he is. . . Joe would agree that his team makes him a great coach and always gives his teams the credit for making him a coach that he is, But why would people always ask him to coach college and other high schools in houston if he wasnt one of the best.

I know personally a lot of Joe's select players. Two of them are actually related to me and 3 or 4 other ones are close friends of mine. It's true that they are talented now, however when he picked them up they were no better than your run of the mill teenage player. He worked with them and helped them develop their potential. Everyone has potential (or at least I like to think so) it's just a matter of the player's desire to reveal it and also the coach's ability to see it. He saw it and the kid's wanted to show the people who called them and I quote "...nothing but trouble..." that they were in fact a force to be reconned with. There are a few coaches in the area who have been blessed with ODP players as well as other talented players and haven't really put them in their program effectively enough to where they can make a difference. Joe has, thats why I have to go with him on this one.

I've known Joe a long time and my son played for his select team.  He was a good player but not a superstar but Joe saw something in him and came to our house to ask him to play for his team.  The select team had a lot of talent but it was not a team that most coaches would have put together.  It was largely hispanic with 5 or 6 anglos but it was a team that really worked hard and played together.  Nobody was a superstar but everbody did his job and would not tolerate anybody that didn't and neither would Joe.  Anybody that didn't give 100 per cent to the team was not there for long.  Joe really worked with the players to develop their potential.  He took these guys from super blue to Div. 1 premier league.  If you know anything about club soccer it is awfully hard to get a team from Beaumont, Texas into Div. 1 much less the premier league.  You have to play your way in and earn it on the field.  Joe came to Kelly and completely turned a program around that in my son's junior year had gone into complete disarray and gave us a realistic shot at a state title.  We lost in the state semis to the eventual state champs.  My younger son plays this year, and he really has this team playing better than any Kelly team I have seen in years.  In my admitably biased opinon, he is the best coach in the area and certainly the best coach I have ever been around.

Excuse me, but i am going to have to stand up for my coach because he has earned my respect and with good reason. And yes we were in control of the game but to take away something from us that we worked for and earned was ridiculous, especially since the call was made only was after the home team's side  had a fit. Which had gone on most of the night with many missed calls and many uncalled for fouls by the center ref(and an unwillingess to use his cards? maybe he lost them ???). Coach Luttrell might have his moments as a coach which is either love or hate. However tonight was not one of them. He is a good coach and has mine and my teams respect. O and Good game tonight nederland

Yes i must admit that he did scream a lot for the better half of the game, and there were many missed calls and such but what is the rule on clean up? Because if you watched the game which it seems that you did that ball was pretty much clearly already on its way in and i had never encountered a ref making that offsides call ??? For the second half though our coach quieted down and kept it to a dull roar  ;) Yes he was and still seems to be a great player of the game when he decides to practice with us. He did, however, get on the bus after the game and apologize for his outbursts at the game. He teachs us the morals of the game and does his best to instill that, we still have the occasional outburst on the team but not like we would otherwise. He is a class act and does his best to pass it on to us which for most players is all he can do

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder