**Lumberton at Nederland/28-14 Lumberton Wins/Comments

Raiders are champs. The other 1-loss teams were beaten by them. Same with PNG in 99, we beat nederland that year and even though we had identical records, we were on top. What is so hard to understand? It makes sense. Now in our district last year there was a perfect scenario for co-champs of Lumberton, Dayton,and PNG. This year there is a clear victor.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has been asked many times, but did the Raiders actually win the distrcit title outright or is it a shared co-district title with Livingston?

My understanding is.....

In the eyes of the UIL, the "official" title will be District CO-Champions with Livingston BUT

In the eyes of football fans everywhere, it is understood Lumberton is the sole district champ since its owns the head to head with Livingston.

UIL only uses head to head match ups for playoff tie breakers and playoff seedings.

Glad to see a Lumberton fan acknowledge that in the eyes of football fans everywhere, it is understood Dayton was last year's sole district champ since it owns the only applicable tie breaker with Lumberton and PNG.

Negative, Lumberton beat dayton last year.

Positive, lumberton beat Dayton, PNG beat lumberton, Dayton beat PNG-

The head to head cancels out- The next tiebreaker is point differential, which

Dayton won.

You can't just use the parts you like.

I know this has been asked many times, but did the Raiders actually win the district title outright or is it a shared co-district title with Livingston?

My understanding is.....

In the eyes of the UIL, the "official" title will be District CO-Champions with Livingston BUT

In the eyes of football fans everywhere, it is understood Lumberton is the sole district champ since its owns the head to head with Livingston.

UIL only uses head to head match ups for playoff tie breakers and playoff seedings.

I just put my glasses on to see your point of view and it still came out fuzzy.  It's Co-Champs no matter how you look at it.  What is so hard for people to understand about that?  It's like the year back in the 90's that PNG shared the title with whomever and still had shirts printed that said "District Champs".  Even at the playoff game we attended in College Station I felt compelled to point out the error to some unsuspecting kool-aid drinker from Port Neches while dining out at Chili's.   ::)

Maybe I should have qualified my statement by saying, "In the eyes of football fans that apply common sense to the equation, it is a gentlemen's understanding Lumberton is the sole district champ since its owns the head to head with Livingston.  The UIL is main goal is to establish a STATE championship via playoff system not bickering on who beat who for the district title.

Week 11 and beyond is what matters!  Last year was justified / understood by saying CO-champs because each of the three teams beat each other (again, common sense applied).  Sorry if that is still fuzzy to you.  

I know this has been asked many times, but did the Raiders actually win the distrcit title outright or is it a shared co-district title with Livingston?

My understanding is.....

Glad to see a Lumberton fan acknowledge that in the eyes of football fans everywhere, it is understood Dayton was last year's sole district champ since it owns the only applicable tie breaker with Lumberton and PNG.

Dayton won.

If that was the case why was it declared CO-champs?

My understanding is.....

Dayton won.

That is true, but point diff isnt used for many reasons. Some never take out their starters and try to score 100,others are very conservative with the lead and dont care how much they win by when the game is in the bag. And you should have said affirmative in response  8). You are right about the point diff, but it is very problematic for many reasons. Wins/Losses are the gold standard.

My understanding is.....

Dayton won.

That is true, but point diff isnt used for many reasons. Some never take out their starters and try to score 100,others are very conservative with the lead and dont care how much they win by when the game is in the bag. And you should have said affirmative in response  8). You are right about the point diff, but it is very problematic for many reasons. Wins/Losses are the gold standard.

Who cares, its all about the playoffs now.

I understand Lumberton is not used to winning much less sharing a title, so in yawls mind, call yourself champs. Who cares! Everyone know in HS football that if your record is tied you are co-champs. I would worry about the playoffs and hope this is just not a period of LUCK.

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

I understand Lumberton is not used to winning much less sharing a title, so in yawls mind, call yourself champs. Who cares! Everyone know in HS football that if your record is tied you are co-champs. I would worry about the playoffs and hope this is just not a period of LUCK.

That's a crock! Everyone knows that "head to head" rules. In fact, in years past, the tie-breaker was "head to head" and later the tie-breaker was "point spread". In fact, based on the point spread system, Lumberton finished 3rd last year behind Dayton and PN-G (in that order). Still, I realize that it's not done that way now but, most of us still put stock in what happened "on the field" when two teams played because that's all we have to go by. And, I'll go one further...if this was a team other than Lumberton, I don't think this discussion would still be going on. Call me a whiner if you like (if you read the 200+ posts I've made on this forum you would realize I am not a whiner) but I think a lot of people have a negative view towards Lumberton and they allow that to cloud their judgement.

Based on the current system: Lumberton and Livingston are Co-Champs....I agree!!!

Based on good ole' fashioned common sense: Lumberton beat Livingston so Lumberton is District Champ! Doesn't mean anything but so what!

I agree with you and I have no problem with the system as it is...Just disagreeing with the "tone" of some of the discussion and simply stating an "unwritten" rule that a lot of us go by (head to head)...it's just nice to be on top of the pile for a change. Let us enjoy it a little. Alright? (ha).

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

Sounds like jealously to me.

Sounds like he is a little jealous....A period of luck ....come on you gotta be kidding me right. They have been great for two years straight. thats not a period of luck, thats  great coaching and great playing. Good luck Lumberton. I'm proud of all of you.

Thanks POPPA, and we're proud your boys also. good luck next week

Guest 87CRU79

First off, Congrats to the Raiders

I just have to say that the play of Nederland's "All-American" OT was pitiful at best, and that Lumberton's #55 put on a blocking clinic. If any offensive lineman in this area gets any knida coverage it should be him. Huber was getting beat by some little, scrappy kid from LUMBERTON! How is he supposed to block someone like Brian Orakpo (Texas), Von Miller (aTm), McKinner Dixon (Tech) or any decent Big 12 DE? The only reason that this kid gets any hype, is because he's 6' 6'' 285lbs! We have a term for those where I come from, and its called being a "big for nothin"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder